Penelope - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Penelope Reviews

½ May 14, 2016
An unusual film to it's credit. Christina Ricci flits between silly kids films and films for the serious fan. This sort of falls in-between. It's about a girl who is cursed with a nose of a pig and she must find love in the modern day to lift that curse or something.
March 10, 2016
Neat concept, crappy delivery.
December 1, 2015
Swear this is one of the best movies I've ever seen!!!!
½ November 29, 2015
So flawed but I love it. Really wish I could see the original unedited version.
November 22, 2015
Cute Story, structure of the film didn't seem right to me creating less enjoyment towards the film.
September 19, 2015
Ricci's good and the premise seems interesting but the film as a whole lack compassion and depth.
September 1, 2015
Hmmm, perhaps. It looks a little . . . odd . . . but it could be good.
August 22, 2015
cute, but not one of the best movies out there.
May 3, 2015
Sweet, fairy tale type movie. Resse Witherspoon is barely in this, which surprised me, but quite honestly Christina Ricci and James McAvoy steal the film anyhow. It has a great message to it and is a film all ages would enjoy.

4/5/15. Wow, sounds like I enjoyed this a lot more on the first viewing. A few years have gone by and I decided to watch it again.
It's still an okay movie, but nothing great. Certainly not the 4 stars I originally rated.
Reese Witherspoon is actually quite grating here, considering her small role. (Even though the character is nice).
The whole thing is far fetched (obviously) and I don't know that I really felt anything for Penelope. This felt to me very much a family movie fairy tale. Like Enchanted. So I guess for a fan of that genre, I would recommend it. Not so much for myself though.
½ March 25, 2015
A modern day fairy tale. Pleasant to watch.
½ March 4, 2015
Such a cute movie. Loved the message behind it. James Mcavoy= hot
January 4, 2015
Hardly perfect, but a cute and enjoyable flick. James Mcavoy is yummy.
½ January 3, 2015
Adorable and 3/4. Funny and effective social satire about beauty, fame, and marriage. Christina Ricci is a lovely-locked if bobbleheaded vision, and James McAvoy is a shaggy-haired dream.
½ December 19, 2014
Watched: 30 Nov 2014
Watched: 18 Dec 2014
December 10, 2014
Christina Ricci and James McAvoy starred in this modern fairy tale about Penelope who was born with the curse of a pig snout, her parents believed the only way to break the curse is for her to marry another "blue blood" After many failed attempts, a happy go lucky guy decided to sneak a photo of Penelope to pay for his gambling addiction and eventually found her inner beauty, will he be the one to save her?

Penelope had an unusual cast from veteran actors, Ricci was simply adorable and McAvoy fitted his role perfectly. It was also nice to see Woods and Dinklage. But Witherspoon, why even was her in the film, her character had no point in the plot at all and only appeared for less than 10 minutes. Aside from the uneven writing, some of the gags were unfunny, the emotions just seemed way to exaggerated and I felt like Witherspoon was reading her lines.

Overall Penelope offered a cute story with a good moral lesson but the script and direction were its ultimate disappointment.
November 29, 2014
Good movie, great message. This is a wonderful movie for young girls to watch. I watched it because I'm a kid trapped in an adult body.
October 5, 2014
yeah it's chick flick so what!
October 1, 2014
It's a good movie with a great story behind it. Good morals and a good cast that brings out the story well. My daughter loves it and so do I.
½ September 5, 2014
Teaches the audience how love isn't with looks, but personality in the most cutest way ever.