Phantom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Phantom Reviews

June 13, 2013
while no 'the hunt for red october' this tale of a russian sub trying out new technology is still watchable if u can get past a total american cast playing russian crew!
March 2, 2016
Soviet Submariners with not a shred of accent. It was supposed to be classified top secret by the U.S. And Russian government to this day but apparently it leaked or this whole thing is half fantasy. It could have been a great movie but it was just lame.
½ July 22, 2013
Appreciated it's darkness, history and realistic unhappy ending so I'm giving it an extra half star. :) I like David Duchovny as a good guy and I think everyone should have at least have had Russian accents.
½ October 30, 2015
A Cold War film that struggles to entertain. The script is very dull and boring and the cinematography is nothing special. I just couldn't get into this and the ending was as anticlimactic as could be and dumb. Pass on this one
½ November 4, 2015
This movie can drop deep under sea , boring ...movies about a submarine have to be great script and suspence to only go even above sealevel !
½ August 30, 2015
david anchovy? sounds fishy.
½ August 6, 2015
The fact that the actors aren't Russian, they also don't even look Russian, don't speak Russian and they don't even care to put in an accent? The only thing that is Russian is the writing. Occasionally in the movie you will forget they are Soviets and assume they are American until the movie reminds you. To me this is totally un-immersive or believable with all these omissions, and wouldn't be anything without is irrefutable outcome.
Harlequin68
½ July 14, 2015
In "Phantom," Demi(Ed Harris) is about to retire from the Soviet navy. His last command from Admiral Markov(Lance Henriksen) is to pilot an old diesel submarine to China in order for it to be sold to their navy. While recognizing few new faces amongst his crew now, especially those of the KGB agents assigned, at least Demi will have Kozlov(William Fichtner) back as his executive officer. But just as they are leaving, Markov shoots himself.

Even with the neat setting of an ancient, claustrophobic submarine, "Phantom" still does not manage to be anything more than just the idlest bit of speculation, Cold War division. That's fueled by gigantic leaps in logic that only serve to keep the plot moving before an ending that truly beggars belief. At least, William Fichtner does his usual very fine work while Ed Harris does some subtle acting here. On the other hand, we get even more proof that David Duchovny cannot act.
½ June 7, 2015
It's entertaining enough and the cast does an OK job but its no Crimson Tide or Hunt for Red October. The movie gets Claustrophobic and script never really takes off.
September 26, 2013
????? ?????? ???????? ?? ??????? ?????????? ???? ?? 1969 ?????? ?? ?????????? ? ???? ??????? ?????, ? ? ??????? ?? Ed Harris ? David Duchovny ?? ? ????? ???????
½ April 22, 2015
There's a lot of problems with this film, not least of which is the lack of any effort towards developing authentic feeling Russian characters with at least an attempt at Russian accents. The entire production doesn't even try to be anything but American. So why even bother telling this story about a Russian sub? That being said, the film goes by quickly and plays off the same, tried-and-true, but expected tropes as its predecessors like The Hunt for Red October, Crimson Tide and The Abyss. Some of the moments of tension even work. But the entire time it just felt like a copy of the better sub movies. But even with all its failings, there are a lot worse movies out there in the world to skip instead of this one. Phantom is forgettable, but tolerable for 98 minutes.
March 19, 2015
I like this movie but im a sucker for sub movies, the only one i have seen that i didn't like was K19. Similarities to crimson tide. I am sure the "inspired by true events" was changed but i am sure the stakes where as high as shown. Its amazing how many times things like this really happened.
February 18, 2015
Seriously, what the fuck was up with the ghost ending?
½ January 18, 2015
It was decent. I think it would have been better if they had made the actors at least try to sound Russian. It told a story of history I hadn't heard so it intrigued me.
½ August 15, 2014
Held Some Of The Potential Thrill Driven Upon In Other Sub-Marnier Films...But The Performances Are Lack-Lustre With A Jargon Jumbled Script Further Sinking That Potential. After All This, It's A No Surprise, Straight-To-DVD Time Killer Of A Truely Unbelieveable, But In This Case Rather Boring, Cold-War Story.
December 26, 2014
tense underwater drama. really gets you nostalgic for the good ol' Cold War days. It's not Hunt for Red October or even Crimson Tide and I guess there is only so many ways to tell the rogue submarine story, but I felt this got the job done in an entertaining way.
December 6, 2014
Ed Harris is a Soviet sub commander sent on a mission to test a top secret device. David Duchovny is the villain in the movie who tries to takeover the sub. William Fichtner, Johnathon Schaech and Sean Patrick Flanery are part of the crew.

The movie is quite engaging once we get the sub in the water. Harris is quite good as his character struggles with internal demons. And I have always though William Fichtner is under appreciated in Hollywood. But I was bored about 45 mins into the movie.

Where was the film going? The pacing was majorly off and that is deadly when making a thriller. It's sink or swim. And this boat sunk. (3 out of 5) So Says the Soothsayer
½ July 16, 2014
A good movie with a bit of suspense.
August 27, 2014
True that it won't win an award anytime soon, true also that it is an important peice of history you WON'T be officially taught at any education level. It is based on events that as of 2013 are still Classified Compartmentalized by both the USA and the former CCCP.
April 28, 2014
A taunt, tense and terrific white-knuckle thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat with suspense and excitement. A classy old-school thrill-ride that returns us to the days of thrilling submarine drama's of the 50's and 60's. A great blend of straightforward storytelling and great character development to fuel an engaging movie. It's an awesome film that just explodes with power and drama. Ed Harris, David Duchovny and William Fichtner are sensational. It also had a great cast of character actors that just add to the films appeal, with actors like Lance Henriksen Sean Patrick Flannery and Jason Beghe you definitely cant go wrong. A rip-roaring entertainment.