The Philadelphia Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Philadelphia Story Reviews

December 3, 2017
This clever romantic comedy surely is a classic of American cinema. And it indeed feels original and witty with a bunch of great actors in one movie. But on the other side it's too American, I wasn't hooked. I was amused, somewhat entertained but not fascinated by the film.
½ October 28, 2017
Originally a hit Broadway play, this romantic comedy of amiable chaos including a prideful heiress, her sardonic first husband and a lovestruck tabloid reporter enjoys rollicking wordplay and the fiery star wattage of Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and James Stewart.
½ October 22, 2017
Despite its patriarchal issues, The Philadelphia Story is a funny romantic comedy with great performances - led by the always-worthwhile Katharine Hepburn.
September 3, 2017
A work that stands squarely on a wonderfully witty script that nearly redefines the word bouncy, and a thing of beauty to see performed. The work for me has one niggling flaw and I hesitate even to mention it, but here goes: Kate Hepburn as desirable? Every male in the film literally falls all over themselves over her, but I am struck speechless. Am I the only one scratching his head over that? I kept wishing that she had exchanged roles with Ruth Hussey (Grant and she share only one brief scene together but I get more heat from that exchange than anything else in the whole film) but nobody's listening to me anyway. Hepburn, I understand, grabbed the rights of the piece and made sure it was made especially for her, but I alone wonder what type of woman were the words originally intended for, and how it would have played - I can't believe it was for Hepburn's type. Cukor outdoes himself again, despite the handicap.
July 16, 2017
Dull and pretty by the numbers. I expected more from some of the most talented actors of a generation
May 12, 2017
"How do I look?"
"Like a queen, like a goddess"
"And you know how I feel?"
"How?"
"Like a human. Like a human being".
May 8, 2017
A wealthy socialite has doubts about her impending marriage and flirts with a young reporter and gains a renewed appreciation of her ex-husband. 1930s Hollywood at its slickest with leads Katherine Hepburn, James Stewart and Cary Grant at the top their game. A quality production in every respect but enjoyment will depend on how much you like Katherine Hepburn as she totally dominates the film. Personally I'm a fan, although I have an inkling as to why others saw her as box-office poison.
½ March 27, 2017
I loved Hepburns fashion in this movie and the old glamour mansion. The complicated romance plot was also pretty good. What i didn't like was a lot of the lame jokes and the forced and dated scripting which made the film drag. Its one of those classic films, but not my favorite one despite all the cameos and beauty.
February 26, 2017
Enjoyable romantic comedy with great acting and writing! The best word to describe the camaraderie between Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and Best Actor Oscar winner Jimmy Stewart is fun. You don't have to be interested in classic movies to get a kick out of The Philadelphia Story!
½ February 7, 2017
pretty weird to watch all the casual/comedic hitting/grabbing of women but i guess it's accurate to the times idk.

Cute and funny otherwise.
January 7, 2017
Only my 2nd time watching this all-time great Screwball comedy and I loved it as much as the first time. It features 3 all-time legends in Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn and James Stewart, who won an Oscar for his work here. The movie is just a pure delight and a prime example of the type of film being referred to with the saying, "they don't make them like they used to". If you have never seen this, it is a must watch!
September 3, 2016
Even my teen son enjoyed it. It's a bit difficult to follow, and I do wonder about the accuracy of the portrayal of the times/class structure.
August 10, 2016
This is the all-time great romantic comedy. Unbelievable cast. Absolutely brilliant start to finish.
July 18, 2016
This romantic comedy contains a witty script and some very funny moments involving its star cast. I did feel that some of the scenes should have been edited out, and others shortened. But overall this film exudes class and character - and it is a lot of fun. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time and one of the top romantic comedies of all time. 1001
June 17, 2016
A multi-sided exposition of the statuesque 'trophy wife', made sexy by fiendishly clever dialogue (and, to a degree, Katherine Hepburn).

"You'll never be a first class human being or a first class woman until you've learned to have some regard for human frailty."
May 21, 2016
An annoyance of the romantic comedies of today, lead me to try something old. And I wasn't disappointed. Hepburn, Grant and Stewart were a pleasure to watch and I couldn't help but laugh out loud at times.
March 18, 2016
Pretty boring movie, with mediocre writing. But, the acting and story was okay. It just didn't keep my attention
March 8, 2016
The cast are great and the script is solid, but it's not enough to carry such a threadbare story.
December 3, 2015
The Philadelphia Story é uma comédia romântica, dirigido por George Cukor com roteiro de Donald Ogden Stewart e por Waldo Salt, foi baseado na peça de teatro de Philip Barry. Katharine Hepburn é a socialite Tracy Lordé que dois anos apos se divorciar do primeiro marido, está prestes a contrair matrimônio com George Kittredge interpretado por John Howard, um aspirante a político. Porém, dias antes da celebração, a família é surpreendida pela chegada de Mike Connor (James Stewart), um escritor metido a repórter; Elizabeth Imbrie (Ruth Hussey), uma pintora metida a fotógrafa; e Dexter Haven, (Cary Grant) o ex-marido, que se instalam como hóspedes na casa graças a uma chantagem envolvendo o pai da noiva. A dupla do jornal deve escrever a história do casamento de Tracy, e ela e sua família decidem colaborar com a farsa para não ver o nome do patriarca da família ser manchado em público. Mas a presença tanto do ex-marido quanto do escritor farão com que Tracy repense sua decisão até o fatídico momento do "sim". A comedia é tímida, quase inofensiva com um romance que nunca acontece de verdade fazendo o expectador sentir o tempo não passar.