Pulse (Kairo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pulse (Kairo) Reviews

November 14, 2018
Not a scary movie. Limited jump scares that actually work; atmosphere is not very creepy. the acting is pretty bad in those one as it feels they've just included every teen cliche they could find. Not very entertaining.
September 12, 2018
Pulse achieves an emotional atmosphere that crosses the screen. Its narrative is blurry and slow but it's totally justified by the director's goals. Full of detail, symbolism and mystery, definitely an iconic film.
½ September 4, 2017
It's a creepy, atmospheric slow-burn. The theme of loneliness explored here is interesting, as is post apocalyptic story of the dead seeping into our world.
July 10, 2017
Awesome Japanese horror! Very unnerving and sinister. The soundtrack really hits the brooding moments.
March 27, 2017
A Japanese horror film that relies on suspense and prefers giving goosebumps instead of jump-scares.
December 20, 2016
There is a nice movie about alienation and loneliness in the age of Internet lost in the middle of this silly, heavy-handed mess that, despite being effectively creepy, dark and oppressive, tries too hard to have a "message" and be profound (to the point of obviousness).
½ November 1, 2016
Saw it on a best of list. Good but soooooo slow.
Was disappointed.
October 29, 2016
The scariest movie I've ever seen, bar none.
August 2, 2016
3/5 Pulse has some seriously creepy moments but the editing can be a bit poor at times and the story might be difficult to follow. But maybe that's just me.
½ July 16, 2016
Pulse is a spooky and surprisingly thoughtful supernatural thriller that relies more on the suspense, plot and characters rather than overt violence and gore.
April 28, 2016
Couldn't go through with it because it was boring mostly. For a japanese horror, it's kind of unsettling and at the same time uninteresting, although what it does suggest is obvious. Lost interest. Moving on.
April 16, 2016
Very creepy and dark. I feel like the problem with the American remake was to much special effects and not enough plot. the story real gives you the feeling of hopelessness.
March 2, 2016
A good eerie movie, it's confusing but good a unique watch.
½ November 22, 2015
FUCKING SHIT AND BORING. NO PLOT BUT THE GIRLS WERE FIT AF
November 19, 2015
Long drawn out and boring
November 8, 2015
Pulse had a lot of potential to be great. There is a lot of wonderful things about this movie...the supernatural, the power of computers, and technology, and where we go when we die.

Plus the world after the fact...how changed it will be, and a horrifying world it might be considered to be.

All in all, quite a haunting tale, that is creepy and unsettling; even if there is a lot of filler and boring parts.
July 27, 2015
A very somber and creepy J-horror, which distinguishes itself with its quiet, reflective, even philosophical, atmosphere. What are we to make of life where technology is an agent in our lives which both unites and separates us from each other, and ourselves? The film has an irresistible gravity as the characters, and we, too, are exposed to a tangible isolation and loneliness. Do we succumb to depression and despair and join the community of the dead, of those who have gone before us? The film seems to end on another alternative, that of friendship and a kind of blind continuation of life, a desperate step forward in the midst of death.
½ July 23, 2015
Like other successful J-horror entries, Kairo (Pulse) creates a suffocating atmosphere of dread while also serving as a commentary on early 2000s techno-anxiety. [B+]
½ June 20, 2015
I actually thought it was not too bad. It's not the greatest film in terms of direction and clarity, the storyline is confusing and the logic of the ghosts is often unexplainable.

However, there is an effective story with thematic exposition, and, of course, plenty of creepy atmosphere here.
½ January 12, 2015
Is much of it indecipherable? Yes. Is it fucking scary? Yar.