Racing With the Moon Reviews

• Sep 19, 2019

A good drama that adds a bit of humor and romance to make a fully engaging film. Also, Sean Penn and Nicholas Cage work really well with each other

• Jul 12, 2019

Charmingly undervalued and underrated coming of age film. Sensitively acted and directed film which packs an emotional punch at its climax. Beautiful film score by Dave Grusin. Still stirs deep emotions 35 years after I first saw it. Production Values and massive budgets are not always key to making meaningful and poignant cinematic statements. This is proof that a good story with good actors and a sensitive ensemble can deliver a classic even if its under the radar. Kudos to director Richard Benjamin who I first remember as an actor in the Sunshine Boys with George Burns and Walter Matthau. I never knew how MUCH I liked this film until I saw it again after so much time.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Feb 05, 2018

A movie about not that much, and about everything - when young men try to suppress the realization they soon will be marching to possible oblivion ... in 1942, before the war had begun to turn. The cast is great, young ones whose stars were just beginning to rise in the West. Elizabeth McGovern, the girl of one's dreams. And interesting to see Penn playing the straight one, the stand-up anti-eternal-Spicoli guy. But there you have it. Richard Benjamin could've cut the movie 10-mins shorter and probably it would've been even better, benefiting from better pacing. But it's still good. The '80's were a good time for a certain kind of movie ... like this one - the John Hughes era maybe ... before the cell phone & a twitter'verse started snarking & claiming lives. | Norm de Guerre

• Aug 06, 2015

Oh Christ, she's a Gatsby. In 1942 California, life is pretty simple and heading into the military and heading to war is fairly ordinary. Two best friends live out their last summer before leaving to become men. They fall in love with two local girls and their future after the military becomes a little clearer and they'll have reason for hope. "I wonder what it would be like to be like you sometimes." Richard Benjamin, director of Milk Money, My Stepmother is an Alien, Mermaids, Marci X, City Heat, The Money Pit, Downtown, and Tourist Trap, delivers Racing with the Moon. The storyline for this picture is interesting and fun to watch unfold. It is far from an epic like Stand by Me or Goonies, but it is well done. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Sean Penn, Nicolas Cage, Elizabeth McGovern, John Karlen, and Rutanya Alda. "Drinking makes your brain go soft." I came across this Sean Penn movie on Netflix and decided to give it a shot. This was entertaining and I enjoyed it for the most part. I did think it was straightforward and worth a viewing but I wouldn't add it to my DVD collection. "One piece of brown pie coming up." Grade: C+

• Jun 15, 2015

Excruciatingly sentimental.

Excruciatingly sentimental.

• Apr 16, 2015

Sean Penn i Nicolas Cage zaedno!

Sean Penn i Nicolas Cage zaedno!

• Jun 11, 2014

A personal favorite. Young actors on the verge of the "big time" in roles that portray the same; an end to childhood, the first awakenings of adulthood.

• May 31, 2013

Ce tout petit film sur le dernier mois de deux camarades americains campagnards dans leur village en 1942 avant de partir a la guerre est une tres bonne surprise. Touchant, souvent drole, tout le temps credible, il est porte par deux jeunes acteurs qui deviendront d'immenses stars dix ans plus tard. Le scenario de Steve Kloves et le score sont excellents.

• May 27, 2013

The kind of movie that they just don't make anymore--lots of nostalgia and a good story of young love.