Resident Evil: Vendetta Reviews

• May 29, 2021

While I'd still rather watch this than just about any of the live-action movies (only one of those I might prefer), this is easily the weakest of the CGI entries. RE: Degeneration was certainly a solid effort and an overall somewhat enjoyable movie, and RE: Damnation actually added quite a bit of depth to its story, breaking from the norm just enough to play out different, and doubling as a political thriller. Vendetta, however, almost feels like they took the template of a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie, combined it with the T-Virus, and then jacked up the scale accordingly. What you end up with is RE: Vendetta, a movie of a super-powerful badguy out for revenge for half-logical/half-nonsensical reasons, who manages to pull so many simultaneous events off that he not only throws all of our heroes into a near-helpless frenzy, but he infects ALL OF NEW YORK CITY! This might work if it were a team effort, but instead our villain is a perfect human being, seemingly because the writers thought that someone completely unrealistic is the same thing as making them compelling. Primarily, this badguy is multi-lingual, he is just as good with guns and with fighting as Chris Redfield, and he is, at the same time, a better virologist than William Birkin.. Honestly if they threw in that he was also the world Chess champion, hold records in Darts and created the blueprints for 5G, I wouldn't be surprised. This failing on the part of the villain is where the movie ultimately falls completely apart, as he is very frequently on-screen, and almost all of the tension, sans a few scenes (such as a legitimately excellent hallway battle between Chris and Leon facing off about 100 zombies), are all about our heroes trying to beat him in direct confrontation. Then, the final insult, the situation is fixed by a T-Virus Reversal Cure is just sprayed around the city, and people who were LITERALLY rotting, walking corpses, just begin to wake up like "Oh my - what just happened?" This fails not only because it means that the writers bit off more than they were willing to chew when they infected NYC so they just pulled an arbitrary fix, but it also makes the prospect of later T-Virus infections nullified. The latter might not be bad in itself, but since the franchise is one that might go on for another 15-20 years, then this would force the franchise into the same problem that the Terminator franchise suffered from: Each one has to be more powerful than the last; heck, this is what lead to Resident Evil 6. But, I've gone on long enough -- The main thing is that this movie takes Resident Evil and tries to make it so over-the-top that it becomes completely unconvincing, but there are some decent moments throughout, so if you're a die-hard fan, I'd recommend maybe renting or streaming this if available - I just wouldn't recommend buying it, unless you bought it as part of the 3-Movie BluRay pack.

• May 11, 2021

If you like action-packed horror CGI, this one is for you, whether you are a fan of the game of not

• Apr 21, 2021

The fight scenes are so insane!

The fight scenes are so insane!

• Mar 21, 2021

Seen RE: Vendetta, it's a very good GCI action packed movie, also appreciated the return of Rebecca, Leon and Chris, if there's anything I didn't like is the deepening of some antagonists, very small in detail, there could be more backstory, the idea of using zombies as biorganic weapon loses originality, great to rewhatch, then doing quick calculations: Plot: 8 Design-audio: 9 ReWhatchibility: 8 Cast/voice actor: 8 Originality: 7 Total: 8 (great)

• Jun 16, 2020

It's great to see Rebecca again. The story works well, the action is a bit over the top at times but RE fans should find a lot to like.

• May 05, 2020

The third film in the Resident Evil CGi movies taking place after Resident Evil: Degeneration (2008) and Resident Evil: Damnation (2012). This movie takes place in between the two video games Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. These films are purely just for fans of the video game series, but even then this movie never is as good as the previous film was. This movie follows Rebecca Chambers (Erin Cahill) as she studies the A-Virus. A virus that is capable of giving commands to the person infected. It's really dumb. Anyways Rebecca's research facility is attacked by Glenn Arias (John DeMita) a man who is seeking revenge against the US because his wedding was bombed during a drone strike. Again really dumb. Anyways Rebecca is attacked, but Chris Redfield (Kevin Dorman) saves her. They see a connection to this A-Virus and to the events of Resident Evil 4, so Chris and Rebeccas travel to talk to Leon Kennedy (Matthew Mercer). But during the meeting Arias and his goons attack them all and end up taking Rebecca. Therefore, it's up to Chris and Leon to get Rebecca back and stop Arias from spreading the A-Virus. That's the gist of it all. I will say the animation is really well done and the action is very cool. The plot is terrible though and it reminded me of the earlier Resident Evil games that had just some real piss poor narration to it all. This is a skip for anyone, but diehard Resident Evil fans. But, like I said even big fans of the genre probably should just skip this one as well and just play one of the games instead.

• Apr 11, 2020

An enjoyable film if you know the characters, some great action scenes achieved by good use GCI and movement of camera, avoids convoluted storytelling but suffers from plot armor.

• Feb 02, 2020

This CGI version of resident evil is about what you would expect. The movie has a couple of fun exciting action sequences but the pacing and script are a mess. The voice acting and dialogue are not much better either. The problem is this movie feels like one giant video game cut scene. That’s not bad except you’re watching the entire thing and it becomes tedious.

• Jan 22, 2020

This movie is pretty bad. BUT it does have some pretty fun action scenes

This movie is pretty bad. BUT it does have some pretty fun action scenes

• Nov 13, 2019

Not a movie for non Resident Evil gamers. Fast-paced combat with zombies and blood. A bit annoying when soldiers are shown simply pointing their weapons at the Zombies and eventually begin shooting in random directions only after the Zombies are all over them.