Rio Bravo Reviews

• Aug 21, 2020

UN WESTERN DE EXCEPTIE CU DOI ACTORI COLOSARII DAN MARTIN SI CELEBRUL JON WAIN

UN WESTERN DE EXCEPTIE CU DOI ACTORI COLOSARII DAN MARTIN SI CELEBRUL JON WAIN

• Aug 16, 2020

except for the 3 shootouts spread out over the film, this was, for the most part a dreadful bore. the hot young lady going all limp over the duke didn't play and was just filler for the ladies, in my opinion. watch this film's retread "el dorado" instead.

• Aug 11, 2020

This is one of my favorite westerns of all time. For when it came it, it’s surprisingly mature. Dean Martin’s character is very well and he does a great job in the role. John Wayne, Ricky Nelson, and Angie Dickinson are also good in the movie. The action is also handled well for the time. It’s a are capsule of 50s cinema.

• Jul 28, 2020

So many pretty boys and tough boys come together in this, how can you not like it? I can see why it's a classic in the genre, even though I don't think it has the appeal Leone films have to me. Dean Martin is hot.

• Jul 27, 2020

In my opinion this was the best western ever made.

In my opinion this was the best western ever made.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jul 08, 2020

Much beloved, this curious work is simply a well-made quilt: a combination of disparate elements sown together that people have grown to cherish over the years. John Wayne plays the stoic put-upon sheriff of a town owned by the bigshot local rancher, cut off and alone when he arrests the rancher's brother. Dean Martin is the laughed-at local drunk (typecasting) who is trying to reform (against type). Ricky Nelson, teen sensation, a hotshot gunslinger simply along for the ride, and Angie Dickinson interestingly plays the woman of ill repute who falls for the sheriff. It's interesting because she monologues all of her scenes to the Duke, throwing herself at him, while he simply takes it (poor guy!). I thought the whole piece uneven and stilted, but what do I know in the face of overwhelming admiration. But I could hardly finish the thing. Walter Brennan is the stereotypical grumpy sidekick, comic relief.

• Jun 08, 2020

I sincerely do not understand why this is such a loved movie. It's quite boring tbh. And the setting looks so dirty and claustrophobic; everything is happening in this tiny city that was purposely built on a smaller for this movie. And what is Ricky Nelson doing in this? He looks so out of place in this movie. And what is the deal with the couple of the movie? Angie Dickinson was half the age of John Wayne and the dialogues in the movie are so ridiculous.

• Jun 03, 2020

Rio Bravo is well made from a technical perspective, and is probably one of the best represtatives of the conventional John Wayne Western. That said, calling it one of the greatest films of all time (looking at you, Sight & Sound), or even one of the greatest Westerns of all time, is absolutely ridiculous. Its contemporary motivation as a response to High Noon is still perfectly relevant today; High Noon is a cynical, thought-provoking, and intelligent look at human nature that transcends the genre, while Rio Bravo is a functionally formulaic devotee to all its conventions, one that stands for nothing beyond "ol'-fashioned American values". Good guys are good (and always win), bad guys are bad, women swoon, and nuance doesn't exist. It's just the perception of the world that a host of conservative actors would put together to make a political statement in response to what they perceived as a Communist invasion. None of that means that the film is bad, but it does prevent it from being great, especially when so many other genre representatives have done so much more. It's still a great representative of the Wayne dynamic, a hugely influential piece of popular culture. One major criticism: the antagonists, who seldom seem to form any sort of effective force, and hardly feel threatening despite frequent clashes. (4/5)

• Apr 17, 2020

One of the very best John Wayne movie with an all star cast including Dean Martin Angie Dickenson and Ricky Nelson. Really well done, directed by Howard Hanks.

• Jan 24, 2020

My Favorite Western. Wonderful characters interacting in a great combination of humor, action and romance. The "young-old" Duke is perfect with Ricky Nelson and Walter Brennan as perfectly aged bookends. Deano is terrific. While Angie is young enough to be dating Ricky, it somehow works. While the action is excellent, it takes a backseat to the interaction of all the characters. Folks with whom you want to spend a few hours and have a good time.