Room 237 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Room 237 Reviews

January 2, 2017
Whether you think the theories raised by this doc are BS or not is up to you. What this documentary does and succeeds in is heightening your experience and relationship with film.
½ November 4, 2016
I was led to believe that Room 237 was a little out there, but still made for an interesting movie. I'm here to tell you that, in my opinion, it makes for an utterly stupid movie. Essentially this film is like listening to a handful of insane conspiracy theorists spout off nonsense for almost 2 hours. These people have taken a brilliantly-made film (The Shining) and decided to draw crazy interpretations out of every little thing they see. They do this with the nutty idea that Stanley Kubrick somehow intentionally put in images to slyly reference things like fake moon landing footage, or the atrocities committed against Native Americans. The movie does a good job of showing us the images the wackos reference while telling us what they see in that image and I'm looking at it thinking "You're only seeing that because you want to shoehorn your loony viewpoint into a film that clearly has nothing to do with what you're saying. That picture is just a man skiing, not a minotaur you nut job!" Room 237 is an utter waste of time listening to a handful of people you would ordinarily call crack pots, as they get their 15 minutes of fame and talk about something they are both passionate about and wrong about. TL:DR - Let's see, I used the words utterly stupid, insane, nonsense, crazy, nutty, wackos, loony, nut job, crack pots, and wrong...I think that effectively sums it up.
½ October 23, 2016
This film was a beautiful conspiracy-esque film analysis by a handful of die hard Shining fans. Although I wouldn't categorize it as a horror in the slightest, it was an interesting look at the minute, seemingly innocuous theories and opinions by several people. I don't personally enjoy picking apart literature, etc. until you find more meaning than the writer originally intended as I think it is often meaningless in its direct relation to the original source material. Therefore many of the "revelations" and fan theories in this documentary were uninteresting to me as they seemed far too far-fetched to be likely.
October 22, 2016
A lot of the theories I don't buy but there is definitely something in the slaughter of the Native Americans, The Holocaust and the moon landing. Fascinating stuff.
October 16, 2016
Some crazy & not-so-crazy theories definitely put The Shining in a different light. Even if you don't go into that light, you'll still probably never watch it the same way again.
October 11, 2016
Its basically just a mish mash of theories and weird stuff, some of these things are just laughable. Like the Minotaur theory, as well as other far out things. There are some things that are actually there, but a lot is inferred in these theories. Its just a lot of commentary over footage so its not too amazing or insightful.
½ October 10, 2016
I'm not saying that the theories put forth by the individuals in this documentary aren't possibilities I just cannot fathom why one would want to listen to the obsessed ravings of three people who make unfounded, unconfirmed speculation about subtle subtexts in a movie. Some of the claims and connections are patently ridiculous. Even looking past the fact that the film is devoid of any value beyond a case study of certifiably obsessed pseudo-intellectuals the primary content is clips of the movie with their audio and their audio is mediocre at best featuring several takes which should have been redone such as a baby crying and more ums and ahs than a middle school presentation.
½ September 30, 2016
It's fine. A lot of crazy yet interesting ideas.
August 14, 2016
Can't have too much Kubrick.
August 1, 2016
Was a little disappointed, as a fan of the actual movie, I found this film and its theories dull.
½ June 13, 2016
Interesting idea... not so interesting execution.
½ June 5, 2016
The bad pace and editing ruin the documentary. The Shining happens to be one the best horror films, and the statement "the less said, the better" can apply to this boring collection of what should be interesting observations. To save you from watching this disoriented mess, the theories that hold any weight are the minor allusions to genocides, particularly the holocaust and the purge of the Native Americans. Both are realized in the first fifteen minutes, and the rest is a badly cut, poorly supported, spontaneous obsessions. The theory that Kubrick was part of faking a moon landing comes here and nothing is really made clear of it apart of moronic pointing out of references. As if Stephen King can't say more about the ludicrous views, most if not all happen to be "academic bullshit".
½ May 17, 2016
Mainly for fans of The Shining, in which sense it in no way transcends its subject to appeal to a wider audience like, say, Senna or Close to the Edge do with motor sports.

But, I'm a huge fan of the original film, so I went with this collection of obsessed-fan-interpretations of Kubrick's horror masterpiece. Like many of the best lunatic conspiracy theories, there's almost enough in the different versions to make you believe, if only for a moment. And then you come to your senses and laugh at their sheer mental-ness! And remind yourself just how great The Shining is...
½ May 12, 2016
It's may be provocative, but not in a good way. The theories are outlandish and misguided. And given the fact that it's analyzing one of the best movies ever made, only exemplifies it's failure. I unfortunately had the pleasure of watching it at it's TIFF release, and safe to say that most of the audience shared this sentiment.
½ April 22, 2016
Room 237 is all about one of my favourite films. As a result, I wasn't expecting to be particularly surprised by any of it. I also wasn't expecting it to really stand out as its own entity either- surely it's just another surface-level aggrandisment of a classic. Well, I was wrong about all of this.

Firstly, whilst there is a surprising amount of depth to this film that goes beyond 'The Shining', it is still a movie that is pretty much always taking about 'The Shining'. As a result, I certainly don't recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen the film and those who have but didn't enjoy it may also want to give that a miss (though liking the film isn't a prerequisite to enjoying this one, I suppose).

We've all at some point I'm sure had the feeling that we're over-analysing something and many of us have also probably flirted with the odd conspiracy theory here and there. Take these two notions to their extremes (and have them revolve around 'The Shining', of course) and suddenly you have a remarkably interesting and bewildering look at the human mind. The movie flows between what feels like sound analysis to full-on 'how on Earth did we end up here?' interpretations until you start to forget which is supposed to be which.

Not only does this give fans of the film plenty to latch on to and ponder but it also gives us plenty to roll our eyes at. However, every step of it is entertaining and as we're simply talking about a film, it all feels rather harmless.

Indeed, I think there's something beautiful about 'Room 237'- the pattern-forming nature of the human mind, our willingness to immerse ourselves in things that we enjoy, and just an oddness that feels sweet. Many 'unorthodox' opinions revolve around big catastrophes and political events and whist 'Room 237' certainly involves one of the classics (the moon landing, of course) it's still ultimately just about 'The Shining'. It's hard to really care if someone's interpretation is completely outwith the norm because, hey, it's a movie, why can't they see what they want to see in it?

'Room 237' is a beautiful little film (by the way, it also reveals who REALLY killed JFK if you watch it upside down and in greyscale).
½ April 13, 2016
Very good movie. Very in-depth look at the Shining. There are so many things I would've missed, if I hadn't seen this movie. But some were a bit over-the-top
½ April 3, 2016
Some interesting and strange theories on the Kubrick version of The Shining.
Definitely not for everyone but I loved it
February 25, 2016
Interesting doc about different theories about The Shining.
½ February 18, 2016
there were a couple good theories mixed in, but most sounded like a crock of shit. no offense to the interviewees, but you thought about this waaaaayyyy too much.