Room 237 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Room 237 Reviews

May 20, 2017
Attention all zealots of conspiracy theories and fans of unsubstantiated propaganda--this film is for you. Whether or not Kubrick's take on 'The Shining' had intentional hidden messages or not, some of these outrageously risible theories are straight up grasping-at-straws-level ridiculous. Ideas of racism, government involvement, etc. This is paranoia propagation at its most ludicrous--Kubrick would be laughing in his grave at some of the outlandish material these researchers suggest. With every new hypothesis from these variegated cinephiles, the movie often approaches a revelatory point without actually reaching it, rendering the perception of this documentary as some kind of cinematic April Fool's joke, a grand epiphany that never manifests.

Ultimately, for serious Kubrick fans, I wouldn't waste the time. This movie offers little validating evidence of any "hidden meanings", as the theories tailspin into a dark hole of obscurity.

The disclaimer--"Neither this film, nor any view or opinion expressed in it, NOR the context in which film footage and images are used, is approved or endorsed by, or is in any way associated with...Stanley Kubrick's family...or anyone else connected with the making of ['The Shining']"--succinctly states it all.
½ May 2, 2017
A little far fetched at times, but it did give some insight into the mind of the director at the time of making my favorite film of all time and showed the obsessive amount of work that went into making this the best horror of all time.
March 13, 2017
A little extreme... ...but do is Kubrick
February 4, 2017
I only give this over-reaching, pseudoscience "documentary" 1 1/2 more stars than it merits, because of the inclusion of many of Kubrick's visionary works.
January 27, 2017
Documentary in which obsessive fans of The Shining outline their most far-fetched theories while we watch a goofy and amateurish video collage of (mostly) horror movie footage. It's both affectionate and condescending, and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone.
#dlmchallenge #18
January 23, 2017
Well shot and put together causing the viewer to think deeper about the meaning of The Shining. However, this documentary contains many theories that are a long stretch from any true meaning and lead to a close in which no theory thoroughly convinced me.
January 2, 2017
Whether you think the theories raised by this doc are BS or not is up to you. What this documentary does and succeeds in is heightening your experience and relationship with film.
½ November 4, 2016
I was led to believe that Room 237 was a little out there, but still made for an interesting movie. I'm here to tell you that, in my opinion, it makes for an utterly stupid movie. Essentially this film is like listening to a handful of insane conspiracy theorists spout off nonsense for almost 2 hours. These people have taken a brilliantly-made film (The Shining) and decided to draw crazy interpretations out of every little thing they see. They do this with the nutty idea that Stanley Kubrick somehow intentionally put in images to slyly reference things like fake moon landing footage, or the atrocities committed against Native Americans. The movie does a good job of showing us the images the wackos reference while telling us what they see in that image and I'm looking at it thinking "You're only seeing that because you want to shoehorn your loony viewpoint into a film that clearly has nothing to do with what you're saying. That picture is just a man skiing, not a minotaur you nut job!" Room 237 is an utter waste of time listening to a handful of people you would ordinarily call crack pots, as they get their 15 minutes of fame and talk about something they are both passionate about and wrong about. TL:DR - Let's see, I used the words utterly stupid, insane, nonsense, crazy, nutty, wackos, loony, nut job, crack pots, and wrong...I think that effectively sums it up.
½ October 23, 2016
This film was a beautiful conspiracy-esque film analysis by a handful of die hard Shining fans. Although I wouldn't categorize it as a horror in the slightest, it was an interesting look at the minute, seemingly innocuous theories and opinions by several people. I don't personally enjoy picking apart literature, etc. until you find more meaning than the writer originally intended as I think it is often meaningless in its direct relation to the original source material. Therefore many of the "revelations" and fan theories in this documentary were uninteresting to me as they seemed far too far-fetched to be likely.
October 22, 2016
A lot of the theories I don't buy but there is definitely something in the slaughter of the Native Americans, The Holocaust and the moon landing. Fascinating stuff.
October 16, 2016
Some crazy & not-so-crazy theories definitely put The Shining in a different light. Even if you don't go into that light, you'll still probably never watch it the same way again.
October 11, 2016
Its basically just a mish mash of theories and weird stuff, some of these things are just laughable. Like the Minotaur theory, as well as other far out things. There are some things that are actually there, but a lot is inferred in these theories. Its just a lot of commentary over footage so its not too amazing or insightful.
½ October 10, 2016
I'm not saying that the theories put forth by the individuals in this documentary aren't possibilities I just cannot fathom why one would want to listen to the obsessed ravings of three people who make unfounded, unconfirmed speculation about subtle subtexts in a movie. Some of the claims and connections are patently ridiculous. Even looking past the fact that the film is devoid of any value beyond a case study of certifiably obsessed pseudo-intellectuals the primary content is clips of the movie with their audio and their audio is mediocre at best featuring several takes which should have been redone such as a baby crying and more ums and ahs than a middle school presentation.
½ September 30, 2016
It's fine. A lot of crazy yet interesting ideas.
August 14, 2016
Can't have too much Kubrick.
August 1, 2016
Was a little disappointed, as a fan of the actual movie, I found this film and its theories dull.
½ June 13, 2016
Interesting idea... not so interesting execution.
½ June 5, 2016
The bad pace and editing ruin the documentary. The Shining happens to be one the best horror films, and the statement "the less said, the better" can apply to this boring collection of what should be interesting observations. To save you from watching this disoriented mess, the theories that hold any weight are the minor allusions to genocides, particularly the holocaust and the purge of the Native Americans. Both are realized in the first fifteen minutes, and the rest is a badly cut, poorly supported, spontaneous obsessions. The theory that Kubrick was part of faking a moon landing comes here and nothing is really made clear of it apart of moronic pointing out of references. As if Stephen King can't say more about the ludicrous views, most if not all happen to be "academic bullshit".
½ May 17, 2016
Mainly for fans of The Shining, in which sense it in no way transcends its subject to appeal to a wider audience like, say, Senna or Close to the Edge do with motor sports.

But, I'm a huge fan of the original film, so I went with this collection of obsessed-fan-interpretations of Kubrick's horror masterpiece. Like many of the best lunatic conspiracy theories, there's almost enough in the different versions to make you believe, if only for a moment. And then you come to your senses and laugh at their sheer mental-ness! And remind yourself just how great The Shining is...
½ May 12, 2016
It's may be provocative, but not in a good way. The theories are outlandish and misguided. And given the fact that it's analyzing one of the best movies ever made, only exemplifies it's failure. I unfortunately had the pleasure of watching it at it's TIFF release, and safe to say that most of the audience shared this sentiment.