Savages - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Savages Reviews

April 17, 2017
One of my favourites!
April 1, 2017
The gentle Americans, bad Mexican dealers ... if you believed that Oliver Stone was a liberal, the nauseating hints of this "film" will open your eyes. Trump must have based his policies on this mess.
½ February 3, 2017
Visually lush, but really bounces between cruelly graphic scenes, and dull stoner monologues. Travolta is wasted here, as is the bigger picture that the harmless "whole-food hippie" image of US dope producers is connected to the horrific violence of the Mexican cartels.
½ January 25, 2017
Sure, this movie has its flaws, but I loved it! It's action packed, raw (in a good way), violent, sexy and has some good humor. Taylor Kitsch and Aaron-Taylor Johnson are great in it in their own ways. I'm not sure I've ever raved about Blake Lively's acting and I won't here either. She is nice to look at though. Benicio Del Toro has a very violent and fitting character. The two poorest jobs I thought were done by Salma Hayek and a John Travolta. They were manageable though. The storyline is simple and kept me interested. There was only one real flaw, the ending. If the film had ended 5 minutes earlier then it would've been perfect and I'd be praising it as one of the most entertaining movies of the year. Unfortunately, they copped out. I'll rewatch it, but when I do I'll turn it off with 5 minutes left.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 24, 2016
long story short of drugs from one to another. tho it sucks that uma thurman scenes were cut off and not even added to the unrated version as it was ten minutes longer than the one that was in theaters. movie was alright with good actors.
December 19, 2016
Oliver Stone lives off controversy. His films really blur the line between art and pure exploitation. Personally, I'd say SAVAGES leans a little towards that latter category, but it's still a blast. This movie is a Stone film, which means it's going to have plenty of violence, sex, torture, drugs, and murder, while at the same time creating a gritty atmosphere that makes you want to take a shower after the movie's over. Yes, I realize films like that don't appeal to everyone, but I can't deny I'm pulled toward movies like these, as long as their made well. Savages has a pretty engaging storyline that I found found both intense and amusing (two friends share the same girl, they're cool with it. She says they're both one man, ha! I just find that amusing) at the same time. Their are some good performances in the film, with Mr. Del Toro being the standout. Dude was creepy as hell, enough said. He just mastered his role and pretty much stole the show every scene he was in. As for Lively, I didn't hate her. She wasn't amazing or anything, but she accomplished her purpose and I surprising like her character even though she was technically the ultimate slut. Now I get to that ending, the one everyone calls a beaten switch. To be honest, I found it to be a perfectly fine ending. It surprised me (in a good way), and when a movie can surprise me like that, it gets extra points. Now is this "Natural Born Killers" or "Platoon"? No? It's no where near as good as those movies, but it's still Oliver Stone man: sex, blood, guts and grit. The dude's undeniably talented, what can I say?
½ September 8, 2016
Film odrogovejch kartelech. Pobavil
½ August 4, 2016
This was a really enjoyable film from Oliver Stone.
The cast was excellent with great performances from Taylor Kitsch and Aaron Taylor-Johnson.
July 28, 2016
Awesome Flick! Decent action, good story. I bought it.
July 17, 2016
The ending is crap, but everything before it is engaging and well-paced with good character development on all sides.
½ July 13, 2016
Savages is your typical Oliver Stone film. The movie is great to look at very slick with a good story of corruption and power followed by some decent performances. The movie isn't perfect however there are some pacing issues in the two leads themselves are a bit bland. A little bit of work on the script really would've helped this one being truly something special. It's a decent Oliver Stone flick but it's not one of his best films.
June 30, 2016
Very good indeed different from anything else..made me want to keep watching didn't move once from the screen...
½ June 30, 2016
much better than I thought it would be
June 30, 2016
Savages is a simple story but made enjoyable by the strong performances throughout. I had no idea Blake Lively could act but her character was so believable she sucked me right into it, as did the always brilliant Salma Hayek. John Travolta's performance wasn't what we've come to expect from him but it didn't weaken the film.
Ultimately it does what it says: it excites you entertains you and the long run time is over far too quickly. Could I watch it again? Yeah...easily.
½ June 30, 2016
Film takes ideas and themes which have been used in other films and blends the in a novel way. Worth a watch
½ June 30, 2016
Not as clever or entertaining as it thinks. Poor, poor, poor... Stone should be embarrassed.
½ June 30, 2016
No wonder why this movie been straight on dvd, l think lt shouldn't even be on dvd.
was pwrfetly awesome
June 30, 2016
Can't say keeps you guessing but worth a look