Senna - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Senna Reviews

May 22, 2016
Like a docudrama, but completely non-fiction, this shows the heart and soul of the late driver and also could be used as an introduction to the world of Formula One.
March 9, 2016
Ayrton Senna is undoubtedly one of the all time greats in Formula 1 history, and among the most recognizable names in sport more generally. The simply titled, 'Senna' is a fitting tribute and representation of his fascinating career, whilst also an interesting take on how he helped mold the Formula 1 that many love today. Comparable to 'Rush', the other recent Formula 1 focused movie, although distinctly different in its production. Whilst 'Rush' is an acted out version of Hunt and Lauder's career, 'Senna' is purely documentary, relying on historic clips of his most famous races, as well as personal footage of him away from the sport. The footage is expertly put together so as to create an interesting, engaging movie. Understandably, this may not be for everyone, although I think many would appreciate the production of it and excitement that the races themselves brought.
February 1, 2016
emejing! senna idola saya dari tk. dia mati saya jadi jagoin hakkinen. saya benci bgt williams renault & ferrari dulu.
January 14, 2016
Superb. Just an outstanding biopic.
½ January 1, 2016
9.5/10. A brilliant documentary that ultimately portrays a man, a Formula 1 race car driver, that grows up far too fast, and dies far too young.

The film does not play out like your typical biopic. Instead of setting up the character early on, Senna jumps right into the action, starting with his rookie season in F1. Over the course of the movie, the film backtracks and touches on his childhood and family, but it barely scratches the surface of his personal relationships, or his off-track interests and hobbies. Even so, you still feel that you come to understand the man beneath the helmet, the man named "Senna".

But ultimately, Senna is a film about motor sports, and that's where most of the energy goes. We are greeted with great lengths of archival footage from races and interviews featuring our guy. Director Asif Kapadia does a marvelous job stitching everything together, and creating something that feels like a Hollywood feature instead of a biography. But thanks to the tapes, you get that wonderful feeling of nostalgia, of a different time, a different era, when things were more dangerous, more exciting, but people were still people, and racing was still racing.

A must watch for all sports fans, but even those with disdain for the genre can find a fascinating character portrayal here that is WELL worth their time.
November 27, 2015
One of the all time great documentaries. Doesn't matter if you're into Formula One or not. As a character study of a type A personality, it has few equals.
November 20, 2015
I don't even like motor racing and I found this film engrossing.
½ October 29, 2015
Providing an accurate and well-structured representation simply with footage from the time, Senna offers simple emotion and thrills; F1 fan or not. Simply put, this film is not just perfect in terms of re capturing Senna's career, it is perfect to capture the essence of motorsport as a whole and show people who are not racing fans why they should be. Just like Senna, there really is no equal in documentaries to this film.
October 28, 2015
Competent and well made documentary, but not as essential as Life On The Limit
October 12, 2015
Prior to watching this film I had little knowledge of Senna. Now after watching it I became a huge fan.This film is worth watching even if you are not a Formula 1 fan, or you have little knowledge of it just like me. The film takes you on an emotional roller coaster. Beautiful, breathtaking, painful and inspiring.
½ October 11, 2015
F1 is possibly one of my least favourite things in the world, but I'd heard so many good things about this documentary that I thought I would give it a go. I was not disappointed. This is such a well-paced and immersive documentary, that it's difficult not to be swept along by it and get a real sense of the triumphs and injustices Senna experienced throughout his career. For a sport so steeped in glamour and money, it's all the more surprising to learn how humble the man actually was and how devoted he was to his fans and his country and how devoted they were to him; facts that only add greater weight to the tragedy that ended his short life.
½ October 9, 2015
An enthralling and heartbreaking documentary that uses only archive material and old interviews with the pilot and people who knew him, and it is revealing and fascinating to see the human side of an admirable man who was the greatest idol of a nation facing a major economical and political crisis back then.
October 9, 2015
Wholly engrossing, superbly edited documentary on the maverick F1 driver Ayrton Senna, and his battle with team-mate Alain Prost to be world champion. A particular achievement is that you don't have to be a racing nut to enjoy it.
September 24, 2015
For me the greatest sports documentary of all time!
½ August 29, 2015
Not a fan of F1 but I did enjoy Rush so I though this would be worth a watch. It's ok, not exactly mindblowing but then I'm not the target audience.
August 21, 2015
An amazingly put together biography and is great all to watch all the way through, with an amazing and emotional finish, Senna is a biography that tops others, even if you aren't into racing.
½ August 14, 2015
Good movie a little boring at times but that doesn't take away from the film just I wasn't that interested until the end
August 13, 2015
Great documentary using found footage almost exclusively (except for a little commentary--no talking heads). One takeaway for me from the film: every international sports association with a French name is corrupt.
August 13, 2015
Decent documentary about the life of a great F1 driver.