Senna - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Senna Reviews

½ August 25, 2017
Senna-sational. I was gripped from beginning to end. It was a travesty this film was snubbed by the Oscars.
4.5/5
May 29, 2017
Very good documentary. Very interesting and very well developed.
½ February 15, 2017
Captivating & tragic look at one of the great racers of our time, Ayrton Senna. The film uses only old footage of interviews & races to convey it's message. An outstanding documentary.
½ December 23, 2016
An enthralling and heartbreaking documentary using only archive material and old interviews with the pilot and those who knew him, and it is fascinating to see the human side of an admirable man who was the greatest idol of a nation facing a major economical and political crisis back then.
½ November 18, 2016
Better than average documentary filmaking but it is made with the full blessing and co-operation of the Senna family and, as such, it heavily slanted to whitewash his legacy. Those who were there or who followed Senna's career closely see it quite differently. Don't believe all that you see or hear, despite the artistry delivering it.
August 28, 2016
Documental que se centra en los dias de gloria y la tragica muerte de uno de los mayores ases del volantes del siglo xx. Fans de la F1: a tomar nota.
August 21, 2016
One of the only documentaries that will ever do the racing god that is Senna the justice he deserves. A truly compelling, exciting and tragic tale that is the one of Ayrton Senna. A must watch for both racing fans and non-racing fans. Don't forget a box of tissues.
August 15, 2016
I'm not a motorsports fan and don't really know or care that much about it to be honest. I did know of Ayrton Senna and his rivalry with Alain Prost but had no idea how deeply it ran until I saw this documentary movie. I've got to say, it was utterly gripping from the word go. A fascinating story of a brilliantly talented and unique individual and his single-minded obsession, this movie is made up of archive material and interviews with the people who were there, the tension builds and builds until the final, horrifying conclusion. I can honestly say that this is the best documentary films I've seen in a long, long time and I'd recommend it to anyone without hesitation.
May 22, 2016
Like a docudrama, but completely non-fiction, this shows the heart and soul of the late driver and also could be used as an introduction to the world of Formula One.
March 9, 2016
Ayrton Senna is undoubtedly one of the all time greats in Formula 1 history, and among the most recognizable names in sport more generally. The simply titled, 'Senna' is a fitting tribute and representation of his fascinating career, whilst also an interesting take on how he helped mold the Formula 1 that many love today. Comparable to 'Rush', the other recent Formula 1 focused movie, although distinctly different in its production. Whilst 'Rush' is an acted out version of Hunt and Lauder's career, 'Senna' is purely documentary, relying on historic clips of his most famous races, as well as personal footage of him away from the sport. The footage is expertly put together so as to create an interesting, engaging movie. Understandably, this may not be for everyone, although I think many would appreciate the production of it and excitement that the races themselves brought.
February 1, 2016
emejing! senna idola saya dari tk. dia mati saya jadi jagoin hakkinen. saya benci bgt williams renault & ferrari dulu.
January 14, 2016
Superb. Just an outstanding biopic.
½ January 1, 2016
9.5/10. A brilliant documentary that ultimately portrays a man, a Formula 1 race car driver, that grows up far too fast, and dies far too young.

The film does not play out like your typical biopic. Instead of setting up the character early on, Senna jumps right into the action, starting with his rookie season in F1. Over the course of the movie, the film backtracks and touches on his childhood and family, but it barely scratches the surface of his personal relationships, or his off-track interests and hobbies. Even so, you still feel that you come to understand the man beneath the helmet, the man named "Senna".

But ultimately, Senna is a film about motor sports, and that's where most of the energy goes. We are greeted with great lengths of archival footage from races and interviews featuring our guy. Director Asif Kapadia does a marvelous job stitching everything together, and creating something that feels like a Hollywood feature instead of a biography. But thanks to the tapes, you get that wonderful feeling of nostalgia, of a different time, a different era, when things were more dangerous, more exciting, but people were still people, and racing was still racing.

A must watch for all sports fans, but even those with disdain for the genre can find a fascinating character portrayal here that is WELL worth their time.
November 27, 2015
One of the all time great documentaries. Doesn't matter if you're into Formula One or not. As a character study of a type A personality, it has few equals.
November 20, 2015
I don't even like motor racing and I found this film engrossing.
½ October 29, 2015
Providing an accurate and well-structured representation simply with footage from the time, Senna offers simple emotion and thrills; F1 fan or not. Simply put, this film is not just perfect in terms of re capturing Senna's career, it is perfect to capture the essence of motorsport as a whole and show people who are not racing fans why they should be. Just like Senna, there really is no equal in documentaries to this film.
October 28, 2015
Competent and well made documentary, but not as essential as Life On The Limit
October 12, 2015
Prior to watching this film I had little knowledge of Senna. Now after watching it I became a huge fan.This film is worth watching even if you are not a Formula 1 fan, or you have little knowledge of it just like me. The film takes you on an emotional roller coaster. Beautiful, breathtaking, painful and inspiring.
½ October 11, 2015
F1 is possibly one of my least favourite things in the world, but I'd heard so many good things about this documentary that I thought I would give it a go. I was not disappointed. This is such a well-paced and immersive documentary, that it's difficult not to be swept along by it and get a real sense of the triumphs and injustices Senna experienced throughout his career. For a sport so steeped in glamour and money, it's all the more surprising to learn how humble the man actually was and how devoted he was to his fans and his country and how devoted they were to him; facts that only add greater weight to the tragedy that ended his short life.