Sommersby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sommersby Reviews

June 15, 2018
Jodie has a very high IQ which can be seen in every production. Her acting abilities are truly admirable, as are Gere's here, yet she is not the type of "winning" female / wife / mother - she is simply herself.
April 19, 2018
Though there is a near vaccuum at the center of the film, Sommersby is never boring, largely because of Ms. Foster's beautifully self-possessed presence.
November 4, 2017
I absolutely adore this movie. I love the mystery and the storyline. Missed chances at true love and Karma does come to visit.
½ May 25, 2017
I expected more based on the synopsis. A few scenes had promise, but I ultimately didn't like the film. It was fairly dull and I wasn't a fan of how it ended. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
½ October 7, 2016
A movie in the Hollywood old style of the 90s, with great adventures, great passion, great dramatisation. Sometimes it's be nice to have again movies like these.
January 22, 2016
Just found out my coworker was on this.
April 8, 2015
The movie just never comes together despite the good effort by Foster.
March 15, 2015
I love this movie! Such a tear jerker. The chemistry between Richard Gere and Jodie Foster make this film makes the viewer believe that their characters are truly in love with each other.
½ January 7, 2015
Sommersby is an amazing film. It is Laurel Sommersby is just managing to work the farm without her husband Jack who is believed to be killed in the Civil War. Richard Gere and Jodie Foster give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Jon Amiel did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and mystery.
August 5, 2014
Excellent acting by Gere and especially Jodie Foster, but it moves too fast with too many unanswered questions. Did Jack really kill the dog? And it could have been more powerful if Orin would have suffered a few consequences for his spiteful actions.Excellent acting by Pullman as well. The ending could have been more... I was left hanging.
May 15, 2014
Underwhelming and overly sentimental.
October 21, 2013
1991's The Silence Of The Lambs Is One Of My Favorite Films.
½ May 18, 2013
A movie you definatly need to watch twice, but I like how he refused to be the man he truly was even to his death.
½ May 2, 2013
Thats ourselves Warriors and Ghurus for the future My dear Sir Richard Budha from Bangkok!
½ January 28, 2013
A liitle bit confusing though I have love any story about the aftermath of the civil war, this film is not one of them.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a look interesting story there.
September 24, 2012
No chemisistry between the leading actors
½ September 15, 2012
Too good to be called garbage, too many cliches (especially the 1990's love of the moral white man finally empowering newly freed slaves) to be called good.
July 15, 2012
I have seen some and want to watch it again because what I seen I liked.