We Are What We Are Reviews

• Dec 23, 2019

Muy buena, y las actuaciones son excelentes además de que representan muy bien el contexto en el que viven los protagonistas y de cómo serían los caníbales en México

• Oct 19, 2018

Was finally able to knock this one off the watchlist. I had seen the remake so I knew the general premise of the movie, but the 2 movies are noticeably different. This original version is significantly harder to sit through, not because it's disgusting or because of the gore, but because the characters are so very unlikeable (except for Sabina). In many films I root for the anti-hero but in this one I was praying they would get caught, or better yet killed. Hence I was very very happy with how this film ended (Sabina being the sole survivor). I also enjoyed the closing shot of Sabina on the streets ogling her next meal. There is very little depth or context to the film and I think that's 100% by design as you're expected to be to be guessing and trying to figure out what's going on. I also really enjoyed the acting as every character did a great job of representing their motivations. This is a movie I would recommend to all horror fans... the material being presented may be tough to swallow, but it's not that gory, hence it's palatable :)

• Jun 24, 2018

lentement mais surement

lentement mais surement

• Oct 10, 2016

No explican como el papá fue envenenado

No explican como el papá fue envenenado

• Jul 07, 2016

Dark Mexican family drama. A twisted take on cannibal films.

Dark Mexican family drama. A twisted take on cannibal films.

• Apr 24, 2016

We Are What We Are is a low-budget, Spanish drama/horror that promises big things with its great title, disturbing poster, and exceptional premise, however it fails to leave an impression due to its obvious mis-marketing as a horror film; there is no cannibalism to be had. The basic storyline is that the patriarch of a poor, Mexican family drops dead and leaves his widow and more importantly, his children, in charge of putting food on the table, or in this case: people. The youngest son steps up to the mantle and requests that the family follow him now; which doesn't sit well with his older, more impulsive brother and causes friction between the family. All of this sounds great on paper, especially when you factor in that the family members are all cannibals, but the execution is REALLY shoddy and focuses more on providing a social commentary on poverty instead of making good on the premise. Throughout the film, the characters constantly talk about a "ritual" that must urgently be performed, and yet, when the characters bring home two candidates (a prostitute and a homosexual) the others protest that will not eat such tainted meat; an interesting and damning parallel to spoiled food, but a ridiculous idea considering the ticking clock they apparently have. What frustrates me about this film is that it had so much potential to be really great, but nothing much of merit happens until the last twenty minutes when every character loses their marbles and start acting like morons and the film swiftly ends after a stand-off with the police. Hoping that the American remake does a better job with the material.

• Sep 24, 2015

A bit dragging at times but overall a good watch. 3.5/5.

A bit dragging at times but overall a good watch. 3.5/5.

• Aug 31, 2015

WOW.....WOW....SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....... ITS GOT SUCH A FANTASTIC SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........

• Jul 17, 2015

no explican como el papá fue envenenado...

no explican como el papá fue envenenado...

• Oct 27, 2014

ugh, i love the American remake, so i figured id check out the original, and boy is there no comparison. The US one is so much better, it saw the potential and just handled it in such a better way. This one has too much pointless family bickering, plus other scenes that just waste time, the subplot with the cop investigating is under developed and the cop is pretty stupid, nowhere near as compelling as Michael Parks in the remake, also i hated the way this one ended, plus you never find out why they eat people, just for no reason apparently, ugh it had some good music i guess, i just gotta give jim mickle credit for seeing the potential in the material