Soul Surfer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Soul Surfer Reviews

March 26, 2018
I honestly don't understand all the lackluster reviews this film has received. No, it's not a perfect movie, but no movie is. Also, it's a PG version of a real life tragedy that's aimed for young people so they can experience it and learn the lessons in a way they can understand. Yes, some parts of the movie were cheesy but most parts as an adult has me holding back tears and fighting the chills. The shark attack scene was intense and realistic and the aftermath of what such an event would do to a close-knit family is totally believable. Not to mention Bethany herself and her family helped consult the director and crew of this movie. The first time I saw this film in theaters I was 11 and after that I faced a very difficult point in my life where I was handicapped for almost a year. This movie and Bethany Hamilton's real story helped me a lot. Anyone who has seen this movie and connected with it in some way has faced similar hardships and can respect it's PG movie approach to get a lovely message across. As an adult and a huge appreciator of well directed and realistic movies, Soul Surfer holds up to my 11 year-old splendor till this day!
March 21, 2018
Usually a little corny, but it's easily got enough inspiration and heart to help keep it ripping the waves with some spectacle even after the bell rings.
½ March 20, 2018
what a fucking terrible movie what the hell is this acting IS THE DOCTOR A RAPIST
March 6, 2018
this movie is a very good movie because it shows a lot the seperation, where even with the difficulties the main character has not lost focus and did not give up on his dreams.
½ February 14, 2018
An awful-inaccurate and overwhelmingly boring story.
The movie seems to focus on christianity more than an accurate portrayal of Hamilton. I wouldn't mind showing her faith but there is way to many inaccuracies throughout. About a stupid and yet cheesy shark attack. The acting is wooden and has many pathetic scenes that look poorly done. You might think it is inspiring, but there are better inspirational movies about huge things instead of a redundant film like this. To know better about the story, watch the real interviews about Bethany Hamilton.
February 11, 2018
Soul Surfer is based off the true story of Bethany Hamilton, a young, up-and-coming surfer who loses her arm when she is attacked by a shark. While the videography is breathtaking, the exposition feels a little too similar to a fairy tale to be taken seriously, making the shark attack overly anticipated and melodramatic. Immediately after the attack, however, Bethany is rushed to the ER in a heart-pounding race for survival. The conflict is fast-paced but captures the raw emotion of those closest to the main character. Throughout the movie, Bethany's friends and family do their best to support her, but their dialogue is predictable and cliche at times. That is, except for the parents. Bethany's parents are dumbfounded as to how to guide Bethany through such a tragic accident. Thier conversations bring forth the real hurt that goes on in limbo land when you don't know how to respond. Made to be an inspiring Christian film, I think the movie does a great job tackling the "Why suffering?" question but leaves the viewer feeling like the answer is too good to be true.
February 1, 2018
Makes me cry every time and I'm a big guy so kinda embarrassing lol
January 13, 2018
Entertaining movie from the start through the end credits, this is one of my new favorites. Yeah there's plenty of hokey-feeling plot points, but they're driven by stuff that actually happened, and the story is inspiring + the scenery is majestic. I'm not one to ever really be affected by sentimental movies, but this one affected me in every good way. Very highly recommended.
September 8, 2017
Since this was a true story, there is nothing to critique about it. It's a true story that looks like it can inspire anyone to do great things even after all seeming to have failed. I'm sure Bethany herself must be proud that her story can be spread out amongst many true story tales that intrigue the normal people of the world. However, there is always something to point out from a movie.

The special effects were done nicely, you'll notice very quickly how a certain thing was done and it'll have you questioning it, and the shark attack comes when you least expect it.

The performances amongst the actors were solemnly certain where most were modestly mediocre, but I wouldn't count AnnaSophia out completely, she did her part as strongly as she could.

Its the story that'll keep you interested more than what the filmmaker was doing with it, and that's really all that is necessary for a true event like this.
½ July 22, 2017
Loved it even if others didn't. Emma, Lucy and Charlotte 10/10.
May 4, 2017
I loved soul surfer. It was very inspirational and based on an incredible true story. This is one of the best movies i've seen.
½ March 26, 2017
This movie is great for children because it's telling them not to give up and try again
½ March 15, 2017
Such an amazing story of overcoming obstacles.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 19, 2017
This says, Thanks also for that this i of its said descriptions of this said film on life also with this i of the main characters with it now here STILL recounts also that " ' ' Ms. B. Hamilton ( played by Ms. A. Robb ) was born to surf.... A natural talent who took to the waves at a young age, she was leading an idyllic life on Kauai, participating in national surf competitions with her best friend Alana ( played by Lorraine Nicholson ), when EVERYTHING changed.... On Halloween morning, a fourteen ( 14 ) ( xiv )-foot ( ft ) SHARK came OUT of NOWHERE and seemed to SHATTER ALL her dreams.... ' ' Soul Surfer ' ' reveals Ms. Hamilton's fight to recover from her ORDEAL and the way how also she grappled with the question of her future.... Strengthened by the love of her parents, Tom ( played by Dennis Quaid ) and Cheri ( played by Helen Hunt ), and supported by her youth group leader Sara ( played by Carrie Underwood ), Ms. Hamilton REFUSES to GIVE IN or GIVE UP, and begins a bold return to the water.... ' ' " for herself for herself, for a said staffer whosoever wrote it him/herself for him/herself, for ANYONE whosoever accepts also that this even says also, Thanks also for that this i of its said descriptions of this said film on life also with this i of the main characters with it now here STILL recounts also that " ' ' Ms. B. Hamilton ( played by Ms. A. Robb ) was born to surf.... A natural talent who took to the waves at a young age, she was leading an idyllic life on Kauai, participating in national surf competitions with her best friend Alana ( played by Lorraine Nicholson ), when EVERYTHING changed.... On Halloween morning, a fourteen ( 14 ) ( xiv )-foot ( ft ) SHARK came OUT of NOWHERE and seemed to SHATTER ALL her dreams.... ' ' Soul Surfer ' ' reveals Ms. Hamilton's fight to recover from her ORDEAL and the way how she grappled with the question of her future also.... Strengthened by the love of her parents, Tom ( played by Dennis Quaid ) and Cheri ( played by Helen Hunt ), and supported by her youth group leader Sara ( played by Carrie Underwood ), Ms. Hamilton REFUSES to GIVE IN or GIVE UP, and begins a bold return to the water.... ' ' " him/herself for him/herself, for fans, for readers, for others also and even for us, too....
½ January 18, 2017
Unoriginal, very predictable, poor story and not credible, Soul Surfer brings to us a schmaltzy story where that nor the charismatic characters neither the stunning waves can rescue.
January 11, 2017
Minus one star for having to much religions, I like this movie because it gives me hope, yes she lost her arm in a shark attack but she never gave up on her passion as a surfer. In reality, if that was me or another person you may not have that courage to continue on but after watching this movie it gives me hope that no matter what happens to me, as long as I have faith anything is possible .
PLUS 1 STAR FOR BEING INSPIRATIONAL
½ December 10, 2016
This is a good non-fiction movie it's nice to see the director's view it should have been a little more like the real thing. I do love the message and the meaning in this story.
October 14, 2016
Very inspiring true story that lets you know anything can be overcome.
½ September 21, 2016
Beautifully told rendition of an amazing true comeback story. I loved it! Annasophia Robb was the perfect casting choice for the brave & inspiring surfer Bethany Hamilton. Also, impressive cgi & prosthetic makeup work on the removal of the arm.