Speed Racer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Speed Racer Reviews

May 19, 2017
kinda want to see it. only for the cg effects though. Probably will wait to see reviews to determine if i wanna go.
May 18, 2017
Beautifully Silly! Innocent and goofy. True to the original show. Intensity rains in this good versus evil, underdog story. A little boys dream from start to finish. Let go of reality and prepare to let this film push you in. This surreal feature prefers not to lure or pull you in softly, like so many others, and requires your permission. A simple sidestep is all it takes to dismiss this energetic "caricature of a caricature" of a film, so stay put. Like getting in a race car or roller coaster, don't ask, "why am I upside down?" Just buckle up and enjoy the expressive acting, that is cute, delightful, sharp, dark, and fun. And the colors duke, the colors. Visually Speed Racer is a touch psychedelic, where in each frame the mood is communicated loud and clear. Each frame is intentionally a work of pop art, like each scene, and each act accordingly. This movie is about being true to your character, playing to your strengths, the importance of family, honesty, hard work, and determination.
½ May 17, 2017
What a delightful movie. That's the best two hours I've spent in a long time. Spectacular racing and wonderful family drama. Emile Hirsch as Speed completely stole my heart.
½ May 5, 2017
A psychedelic road trip that paves the way for subsequent unemployment.
April 16, 2017
This movie was a nice mixture of reality cartoon and computer graphics. They made it as near as I can remember the cartoon.
½ March 17, 2017
Technicolor vomit. Watching it again right now as I write this. Anyone who likes this is a bastard.
½ March 7, 2017
This was really fast and furious and stylo to boot!
March 7, 2017
So, I originally didn't want to see this at all. Like most people who might read this, I thought it looked too bright and colorful and the first trailer or two didn't do much for me. The final trailer though sold me, as well as constant coaxing and promises from my brother that the movie was going to be amazing. So, I saw it and actually loved it. The only downside was the comic relief provided by the kid brother and pet monkey, but I guess it's true to the TV show, so I can't complain a whole lot. And, as my brother and I were talking the other day, we realized the more time goes by since seeing it, the more we think about all the awesome graphics and other cool parts and the less the brother and monkey bother us. Granted, I'd still prefer the movie without them, but the coolness factor outweighs it. Visually jaw-dropping the whole time. And Racer X was the MAN!
½ March 6, 2017
This film is better fit as a TV series or a video game rather then a feature film.

In the world of violent, high-speed racing, brothers Rex and Speed Racer become rivals as powerful racer Mondragan manipulates their careers in order to kill them both during the world championships, but the brothers learn its all just an act of vengeance against Pops Racer, who caused the death of Mondragan's father in a race long ago.

Oh boy, where to start. The look of this film is very different, stylistic in a way. It's definitely not great, as it better belongs in a video game. In all honesty, it probably wouldn't even look very good then. I see how all the colors and imagery will appeal to little kids, but it surely makes for a lackluster film.

The story was entertaining enough and it's not like I was hating myself. It definitely wasn't a well written story but there is a mindless entertainment aspect in it. The writing wasn't very good, as the story was a bit confusing at times and it didn't make sense half the time. The story was pretty ridiculous and extremely predictable, but there is some fun to be had if you shut your mind off; whatever that piece of advice is good for.

Emile Hirsch is actually a pretty decent actor. He's not bad and he has some decent moments. But the rest of the acting is very cheesy and groan worthy. I was just sitting there watching ridiculous sequences and it felt like something I'd watch when I'm high. In all honesty, the movie would probably be even more fun if you were high.

In the end, "Speed Racer" is a less than average film. It has some mild entertainment to it but nothing more.
March 2, 2017
Man the race were 5stars but the rest is crap
February 21, 2017
I have no words. Just 5 stars
January 16, 2017
For such an silly, fluffy movie, Speed Racer needed more self-aware campy humor to be enjoyable. As it is, it bores in stretches and can't decide whether to take itself too seriously or not seriously at all. Had it fully embraced the latter, it could have been a lot of fun. As it is, the visuals are inventive and impressive, Lost's Matthew Fox is awesome (he alone, as the deep-voiced and impossibly macho "Racer X", seems to understand the type of cheesy fun this movie should be), and Christina Ricci is lovely, so it's not a total loss. It's just not a movie that I'd watch again. **1/2 (out of five).
December 22, 2016
Nunca me cansare de ver esta pelicula esta muy buenaĦĦĦ
December 21, 2016
Loved this movie, I think you have to understand the rhythm of the old TV show's stories and the nature of anime in general to get past some of the flaws plot the movie's plot.

The visual language of this movie is amazing, I don't think it's the most palatable movie for what a big budget Hollywood action movie should be but I think the Wachowskis understood exactly what A live action speed racer movie needed to be.
December 4, 2016
Watched this movie recently and it still holds. Visually amazing and pays great homage to the original anime series. The cross country race in the middle of the film is almost right out of the original cartoon, from the costumes to the story line to the gadgets on the mach 5. Matthew Fox is probably the strongest in the film, playing a great Racer X. If you are a fan of the original series, this is a must watch.
November 4, 2016
I like this movie alot and it may be my favorite film by the Wachowski's. Although I'd seen Speed Racer on Mtv late night back in the day I was never really got into it. After seeing this movie however I'm really excitedc to go back and check it out since I thought the Wachowski's interpretation of it was so well done. From begining to end I was sucked in, I loved the style and the story. The races are over the top and ridiculous with alot of visual effects that are mind blowing which I loved. Maybe some people don't like that type of thing but I was impressed with how they turned the style of the old cartoon show into a realistic movie. The script is well written and comes full circle from begining to end which makes the movie feel finished and well thought out, more so then any other of their films, many of which I enjoy but just don't think were as well thought out or finished as this one. It's obvious they're fans of the old show just from the care they took in translating it into a film. I'd have to think that fans of the old show will love the movie, while other people have the chance at viewing a differn't kind of racing movie obviously based on a cartoon. That premise may not appeal to everyone but anybody who is interested will not be disappointed.
October 16, 2016
I still love this movie. It was a fun ride for the whole family. I wish they would have made a sequel.
October 2, 2016
Awesome visuals, strong resemblence to the original, Speed Racer is a desert for a few, but a intense reward for the fans of the cult classic series
September 23, 2016
A great movie. Sadly this film is criminally underrated and under appreciated. Though it's stylistic nature is a little too much for some, the Wachowski's deliver a family friendly film that is fun and incredibly faithful to its source material without being overly hokey.
½ September 14, 2016
Interesting visuals, but tonally jarring and totally vapid. What a waste of a great cast.