Speed Racer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Speed Racer Reviews

February 21, 2017
I have no words. Just 5 stars
January 16, 2017
For such an silly, fluffy movie, Speed Racer needed more self-aware campy humor to be enjoyable. As it is, it bores in stretches and can't decide whether to take itself too seriously or not seriously at all. Had it fully embraced the latter, it could have been a lot of fun. As it is, the visuals are inventive and impressive, Lost's Matthew Fox is awesome (he alone, as the deep-voiced and impossibly macho "Racer X", seems to understand the type of cheesy fun this movie should be), and Christina Ricci is lovely, so it's not a total loss. It's just not a movie that I'd watch again. **1/2 (out of five).
December 22, 2016
Nunca me cansare de ver esta pelicula esta muy buena¡¡¡
December 21, 2016
Loved this movie, I think you have to understand the rhythm of the old TV show's stories and the nature of anime in general to get past some of the flaws plot the movie's plot.

The visual language of this movie is amazing, I don't think it's the most palatable movie for what a big budget Hollywood action movie should be but I think the Wachowskis understood exactly what A live action speed racer movie needed to be.
December 4, 2016
Watched this movie recently and it still holds. Visually amazing and pays great homage to the original anime series. The cross country race in the middle of the film is almost right out of the original cartoon, from the costumes to the story line to the gadgets on the mach 5. Matthew Fox is probably the strongest in the film, playing a great Racer X. If you are a fan of the original series, this is a must watch.
November 4, 2016
I like this movie alot and it may be my favorite film by the Wachowski's. Although I'd seen Speed Racer on Mtv late night back in the day I was never really got into it. After seeing this movie however I'm really excitedc to go back and check it out since I thought the Wachowski's interpretation of it was so well done. From begining to end I was sucked in, I loved the style and the story. The races are over the top and ridiculous with alot of visual effects that are mind blowing which I loved. Maybe some people don't like that type of thing but I was impressed with how they turned the style of the old cartoon show into a realistic movie. The script is well written and comes full circle from begining to end which makes the movie feel finished and well thought out, more so then any other of their films, many of which I enjoy but just don't think were as well thought out or finished as this one. It's obvious they're fans of the old show just from the care they took in translating it into a film. I'd have to think that fans of the old show will love the movie, while other people have the chance at viewing a differn't kind of racing movie obviously based on a cartoon. That premise may not appeal to everyone but anybody who is interested will not be disappointed.
October 16, 2016
I still love this movie. It was a fun ride for the whole family. I wish they would have made a sequel.
October 2, 2016
Awesome visuals, strong resemblence to the original, Speed Racer is a desert for a few, but a intense reward for the fans of the cult classic series
September 23, 2016
A great movie. Sadly this film is criminally underrated and under appreciated. Though it's stylistic nature is a little too much for some, the Wachowski's deliver a family friendly film that is fun and incredibly faithful to its source material without being overly hokey.
½ September 14, 2016
Interesting visuals, but tonally jarring and totally vapid. What a waste of a great cast.
September 1, 2016
While not as good as The Matrix, Speed Racer is still a fun movie. The performances from its cast are great, the visuals are stunning, the film's occasionally funny and the race scenes/action sequences are amazing. Arguably an improvement over other live-action film adaptations based off of cartoons though not one of the best films in the world.
August 27, 2016
Just a guilty pleasure. The acting is bad, the plot is great, told with to many flashbacks and flashforwards, the art design and action is delightfully cartoony but I could understand if it was a turn off.
May 20, 2016
They took the soul of what was Speed Racer and slapped it on film. I wish I would have watched it sooner.
April 20, 2016
This is the best movie in the entire world and anyone that doesn't agree with me can go fly a kite for all I care.
April 4, 2016
This movie is my favorite movie, and trust me I know thats ridiculous. But I cant help it. The colors, soundtrack, racing, all of it, I LOVE THIS MOVIE. I have seen it so many times and I know it is mostly for kids and It is supposed to be really cheesy and nobody else likes it but this movie is my whole life and I will defend it to the grave. RIP my taste in movies but trust me, I am so alive and it is because of you Speed Racer, I love you.
April 2, 2016
A mi me gusto bastante, muy divertida aunque estupida a veces, pero asi era meteoro
April 1, 2016
One of my favorite movies, great screenplay, incredible visuals, and all around enjoyable film. How could you not love Susan Sarandon and John Goodman as loving parents of an incredible passionate family. What is the matter with you!?!?
½ March 28, 2016
It's not a bad movie. It's a good visual experience and it follows the source material really well. The humor does indicate that it is a kids movie and the CGI should have been toned down just a bit.
March 23, 2016
o filme mais injustiçado da historia do cinema
½ March 14, 2016
Despite the high budget, stellar cast and accomplished directors, this is one awful film. All flash, no substance. A ten minute cartoon plot is stretched into a two hour plus waste of film