Speed Racer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Terrible boring movie.
½ September 11, 2017
Go Speed Racer Go!!!
August 28, 2017
The style of this film is very intriguing and the high spirit drags me in every time. The storyline is quite coherent, provided you follow it and don't get too caught up in the style. Though at the beginning the characters may not seem well developed, as the film progresses, that'll change thanks to great performances all around, and in particular from Emile Hirsch, John Goodman, and especially Matthew Fox.
August 25, 2017
Highly underrated! This is an amazing story of family and morality. One of my favorite movies.
August 19, 2017
Inspirational, great colors , great translation of anime to real life and the music is incredible. Love this movie, there are nickpicks buts that's it. This movie is very underrated.
½ August 18, 2017
Once I got past the cartoonish appearance and storyline (it is based off of a cartoon), I thought the story was engaging and enjoyable
August 13, 2017
Even though I hated this movie things are so preposterous cars are killing each other but the race is being broadcast to the whole world - Murder anybody? And Father of Speed Racer picks up a man and spins him around and then throws him ten feet against a wall. But the special effects are worth it just to see them in the theater. That's why I am only going to give it a 2 star rating.
½ August 13, 2017
I skipped this movie when it came out, thought it was one of those terrible adaptations that didn't care about its roots and wanted a quick buck.
Seeing it now I'm amazed it got such low reviews, it's a work of art. Then again I guess a lot of people don't "get" art either.
½ August 12, 2017
Another interesting film by the Wachowskis that I'm not quite sure what to make of it. What looks on the surface like a kids film is actually quite a complex and political plot. Like Cloud Atlas, it definitely needs another watch to decide what I think.
½ August 5, 2017
This movie is the guilty pleasure to end all guilty pleasures. Even without bringing up its competition in the live-action anime adaptation industry, Speed Racer did the best it could considering the source material. Emile Hirsch played a pretty portrayal of Speed, and the action is refreshingly cartoonish, but not in the way that ruins the pacing or mood. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles, or maybe just my inability to get dizzy at the SFX, but this movie was a wild ride, and one that I feel deserves more praise.
½ August 5, 2017
An adaptation so revolting it was impossible to finish the entire film. I just don't understand who thought this was a good idea. Even more puzzling is the choice of making the main character autistic. I'm not joking, just about every character is shown to be autistic as well. And it's obviously intentional. This movie is offensive.
July 21, 2017
I like this movie mainly beacause of its style and how cheesy it is
July 18, 2017
Completely misunderstood film that does exactly what it set out to do--bring back the original cartoon in a stylish, visually stunning form while telling a story that is completely from a child's-eye view. This deserved to be a hit, but unfortunately very few initially understood it. It has since become something of a cult classic which is what it, at the very least, deserves.
July 11, 2017
It may seem ridiculous, albeit unfathomable, that anyone would give a 5 star review for this movie. I know this version of Speed Racer is not everybody's cup of tea, but before you jump on your "This movie was just terrible" bandwagon let me explain why it spoke to me. First off, I've always been a fan of colorful eye-catching movies and this is the most unbelievable eye-catching movie I've ever seen. It's like they choreographed the movie to the colors themselves. It's also the amazing camera transitions that visually show the character development on a deeper level. If you've ever seen this movie you know exactly what I'm talking about. Seeing this movie for the first time in my teens was kind of like a psychedelic dream. It had a fantastic cast who acted just quirky enough to pull off the characters. Emil Hirsch is the epitome of embodying Speed himself (and he's not bad to look at in those amazing blue jackets they put him in either.) The flashbacks from Speed's childhood with his brother and his budding relationship with Trixie round out all the character development. You feel for these characters. There's heart in this movie. It is my go-to cult classic. It's a little bit cheesy, a little bit hokey, and a very clean kid-friendly movie. The critics hated these parts of the film, but those things intertwined the cartoon and the live action characters together so well, making this film an even stronger adaptation. It's all wild and ridiculous but somehow it works. Give this movie a shot because for every person who didn't like this movie there has got to be some other weirdo's like myself out there who will. Wouldn't you enjoy feeling like I did when I saw this movie for the first time, joyful, light--like a kid again? I'd give it a try if I were you.
½ June 28, 2017
Not as awful as its reputation, but it falls far short of being worthy of attaining cult status. Some of the slapstick was authentically good. The acting was surprisingly solid. The writing was a big missed opportunity. What keeps this back is ultimately the racing, because it has to be excellent if it is a movie about fantasy racing. Precious little of the actual driving I want to re watch.
June 13, 2017
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
½ June 12, 2017
Speed Racer is directed and written by The Wachowskis, and it stars Emile Hirsch, Christina Rico, and Matthew Fox in a sports action film about a racer that is famous, and when a race company ask for Speed Racer (Emile Hirsch) to sign a contract so that he'll work with them, and declines on it and the boss of the company is going after him to make his life ruined. I wanted to watch this to only review it as I need to review all of the projects that The Wachowskis were involved with as director and writer. So for this, I can say that Speed Racer is not a terrible film, but it's not necessarily good either. The acting is very solid, especially Roger Allam who's the best part of the film because he sells every scene he's in, and he even has a monologue that's very well done in the way that he acts like he's done with the main character. The special effects look very inventive, but it can be very grating to watch as there will be times that you can't see the racing sequences. The racing scenes are fun to watch, and the climax felt very satisfying. The writing can be good at times, but then comes the exposition heavy scenes that would've been fine if I cared about the characters, which I don't necessarily do. The characters are your typical type of characters, the child character with the chimp is the most annoying part of the film, and the plot is very predictable. I do like that The Wachowskis put a lot of care into making this movie with a lot of detail, but there are way too many plot lines going on that it's just insane. Speed Racer is a bad film that I'm not quite sure why people call this an underrated film.
June 11, 2017
Competing with Iron Man didn't help this movie, & the cast could've been better. This is still a popcorn & gummy bear movie with fast paced guts.
½ May 31, 2017
So many good-looking effects wrapped around a standard story.