Submergence Reviews

• 5d ago

Very very slow, I was waiting for the thrilling suspense, since it was categorized as a "thriller", but it never happened. Had the goddess Alicia Vikander not been in the movie I doubt I would have made it to the end. The ending is one of the worst ever, this is the type of movie where it's obvious that the creators tried way to hard to impress their peers, but forgot about the audience. These are the worst types of movies.....kinda like the hideous "architectural" home in my neighborhood surrounded by normal ranch houses; the only person who enjoys it is the architect.

• Sep 06, 2019

Not a great movie and there was a lack of chemistry between the two main characters. Poor themes and not believable

• Apr 05, 2019

This movie was in contrast with itself. It was really good in certain aspects but bad in others. It felt like it really had an emotional value but no entertainment or fun value. In truth it was trying to hard to be a deeply artistic emotional movie, and in some way it managed to turn up as a success and failure in the same time. The directing style was really amazing, and the all the scenes where shot with care and attention to detail and this actually comes over to the viewers if we watch carefully and appreciate it. The characters where developed very well although with some pacing issues, and it took to much to build up their relation with each other which in the end left the real plot in the background and the events as they unfolded. The acting was amazing by both lead actors and the supporting ones. Hats off to Alicia and James for delivering their character's emotions in their raw, realistic form. And the simplicity of their relation and romantic scenes had a powerful real down to earth vibe which was almost humane. This is very rare in romantic movies, and physical connection is hard to not fake. SO all credit is due for the actors here. The visuals where great with amazing sights, practical effects for most part and simple but meaningful music in the background. The only big fault of the movie is the plot and how it unfolded and above all the slow pacing issue it struggled with. Besides their connections and some superficial things about the events not much else is reveled above the world and the story's unfolding. Sadly this breaks the before created immersion by the characters and really good acting. Overall it's a good movie with amazing artistic value, but low entertainment value. This makes the movie a hard watch especially for those who like a more eventful movie and can't value the realistic emotions and complex message delivered by the film.

• Mar 20, 2019

The film makes some points connect. Both lovers are in the dark, trying to find something out and in the dark risking their lives to do it. Both are detached from others in their search and for both, survival is not guaneteed.Both are trying to find out knowledge, but for different purposes. Not a great movie but interesting enough for a one time watch.

• Feb 07, 2019

I went into this movie with high hopes. There aren't enough romantic dramas out there and I loved that it was described as a "haunting love story." Well... it was more like a disappointing love story to me. Without giving away any spoilers, the format of this movie intercuts between the past romance and the current separation of the two main characters portrayed by James McAvoy and Alicia Vikander. While I like both of these actors individually, I didn't really feel the chemistry between them. That said, I was still interested in their separate storylines (he is taken prisoner by jihadists and she is doing deep water sea exploration). But... after all that waiting, I didn't think the ending was very well done.

• Dec 24, 2018

'Submergence' is a strangely literal romantic drama that despite the presence of two attractive stars ends up being nothing but pretentious, boring, and pointless. Glad that watched it with boxxy software and didn't waste money.

• Dec 10, 2018

I usually keep my opinions to myself, but I'm motivated to share here because I've been pondering "skillful means." Submergence is an example of a work of art that is very skillful, beautifully filmed, but ethically egregious. It relies on Islamophobia, gender stereotypes, and elitism. Its message is that knowledge is the domain of the privileged, who are primary, while education is secondary. How the actors could stomach the scene in which McAvoy utters a line to that effect and Vikander adoringly writes it down is beyond me. Oh, and by the way, civilization depends on hidden warriors willing to be tortured and die for the powers that be. It also panders to the materialist paradigm in two senses -- the pinnacle of human life is to be able to afford to stay at an elite hidden European resort. And the origin of life is primordial sea-floor goop -- therefore, whatever we do with the planet is just goop manipulating goop. In effect, the message of this film is that the world has to be made safe for the resource extractors. It is matter-of-factly stated that in the future all life-support systems (air, water, energy) will be "quantified" -- which we can translate as "owned." Wim Wenders was beloved for Wings of Desire. In this film he seems to have joined the other side.

• Dec 07, 2018

This movie made no sense to me and the ending made me want to really slap the writer/director. The interactions between the two main characters when they were together was quite enjoyable and the acting and visuals well done. However, there seemed to be no resolution to the crisis that JM's character faced and no resolution to their romance. It was like watching a car crash. Were we the audience expected to write our own ending or imagine how we hoped it would end? I will give this one star only for the scenes by the sea and the majesty of the country in which it was filmed.

• Nov 24, 2018

I thought it was intriguing.

I thought it was intriguing.

• Nov 08, 2018

One of the worst films and endings ever. This could have been a great movie based on it's premise/plot of new found love, a scientists quest and a protagonists fight against international terrorism. Instead the film tedioulsy dragged on and on, all whilst jarringly and continuosly alternating between two story lines - throughout the WHOLE film: James McAvoy's capitivity at the hands of Islamic terrorists and scientist Alicia Vikander's quest to unconver the mysteries of the deep sea. For some inexplicable reason the writer? or director? managed to make all the subjects dull with little tension and not a climax insight! As for the ending, for the love of god do an audience survey next time.f the worst films and endings ever. This could have been a great movie based on it's premise/plot of new found love, a scientists quest and a protagonists fight against international terrorism. Instead the film tedioulsy dragged on and on, all whilst jarringly and continuosly alternating between two story lines - throughout the WHOLE film: James McAvoy's capitivity at the hands of Islamic terrorists and scientist Alicia Vikander's quest to unconver the mysteries of the deep sea. For some inexplicable reason the writer? or director? managed to make all the subjects dull with little tension and not a climax insight! As for the ending, for the love of god do an audience survey next time.