The Bookshop Reviews

• Nov 28, 2020

Emily wonderful. Very thoughtful movie, a little slow, but a satisfying ending.

Emily wonderful. Very thoughtful movie, a little slow, but a satisfying ending.

• Oct 20, 2020

It's a beautiful story that breaks your heart and still leaves you with courage

It's a beautiful story that breaks your heart and still leaves you with courage

• Jul 05, 2020

A quiet understated movie about challenging the status quo and the powers that be. In recent days we have seen power struggles played out in a very overt ways. But people who have power have not always gotten their way with guns or brute force. In this movie, we see the genteel class in beautiful clothes and pearls and seemingly perfect manners imposing their will on others using their ability to yield their influences behind the scenes. Our protagonist is not able to overcome her antagonist, but In the end though, but her influence on a younger person allows her vision to be eventually be carried out. Sometimes this movie was a bit too quiet and a bit too slow, but it still won me over in the end.

• May 28, 2020

No sense at all. Really flat and with and end more than expected.

No sense at all. Really flat and with and end more than expected.

• May 17, 2020

The story it's good and i really enjoy it, but the production and performances are really bad they are so underwhelming that you would be shock.

• May 17, 2020

Painfully slow....too much so,but the performances help safe the day.

Painfully slow....too much so,but the performances help safe the day.

• May 10, 2020

Yeah. An odd film. Ending was incongruous with the tone of the film.

Yeah. An odd film. Ending was incongruous with the tone of the film.

• Apr 24, 2020

This movie is like a slice of real life. In the main, it's a story of an ordinary, hard working person up against power, set in a charming seaside town. It's sweet and tragic. People move in and out of the story without fanfare, like in real life. It starts off slow, but then it gets interesting. The viewers become invested in the woman's dream of her bookshop, of her love for the books and stories. And alarmed at the increasing storm brewing against her. The scenes between Florence and Mr. Brandish are moving, as one would expect when it's Nighy and Mortimer. There are no car chases, characters in comic book outfits, or monsters. It's just a wonderful little movie that is more like something that is really happening in your village, rather than a movie. I love movies like this, when they're well done, like this one.

• Apr 11, 2020

I thought this movie was really good. Haven't cried that hard at an ending in quite a while. As an English major in college I was quite impressed.

• Mar 22, 2020

Spoiler Alert: Nothing good happens in this movie. Nothing.

Spoiler Alert: Nothing good happens in this movie. Nothing.