The Dig Reviews

• 2d ago

A slow and methodical period piece that gets elevated by beautiful cinematography and two captivating performances from Ralph Fiennes and Carey Mulligan. Some of the more interesting subplots could have been explored more, but it's still an incredibly well-made film.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    3d ago

When it focuses specially on the titular dig the movie can often be quite moving, I just wish that the superfluous elements, which eat up a huge portion of the runtime, were as focused and nuanced.

• 3d ago

This movie is greater than the sum of its parts and the parts are great. Carey and Ralph are effortless class and the scenery in Suffolk is sumptuous and beautiful. The movie is gentle, slow, not a lot is said with little drama but still engaging though not a lot happens, does not slip into mawkish-nish, due a fine line walked by sure-footed leads.

• May 08, 2021

The movie is beautiful, rather slow, very English, with a tacked on love affair. All performances, Carey Mulligan and Ralph Fiennes in particular, are superb.

• May 07, 2021

This movie... I have no words to describe it, soo beautifully sensible. What a great drama!

• May 01, 2021

Based on a true story Netflix's The Dig is a Historical Drama set in late 1930's Britain about an archeological dig. The story works well and I think it does well capture the feeling of Britain getting ready for WWII. The movie has some beautiful scenery and even better acting. I would recommend a watch for anyone interested in this genre of movies.

• Apr 30, 2021

It is certainly a beautiful film. Great images and emotions, but I don't think it was better than good. I think that it lacks a little bit of structure and that's maybe the only negative point I could found. I like slow movies, but this one was a bit too slow. You don't know where it's going and what is the purpose of it, but the acting, the cinematography, the costumes and the emotional ending cover this up instead of digging the film into the ground. As a matter of fact, the story was ok, but too slow and it was the filming, acting, emotions and costumes that made the strong side of "The dig". You will certainly like it if you love history, emotions, romance and good cinematography.

• Apr 27, 2021

An interesting historical drama about an archeology discovery in England during the late 1930's. The production quality really should have been better. Some of the acting should have been better. Ralph Fiennes performance was great. While 'The Dig' was made on a low budget (and it shows in places), it has numerous bright spots. The movie is well made, well thought out, and entertaining. A quality film on a shoe string budget.

• Apr 26, 2021

Excellent movie and touching. Would have liked to know what happened to the other people in the story.

• Apr 26, 2021

Great movie! Well acted and photographed. Avoids most cliche. True story.

Great movie! Well acted and photographed. Avoids most cliche. True story.