The Neon Demon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Neon Demon Reviews

May 7, 2019
Refn's look at the LA model business plays it rather straight by his standards for quite a while. But this wouldn't be one of his films if it didn't end with weirdness and violence. While Refn plays with expectations, model stereotypes and voyeurism, it's up to the audience to decide what they take away from this. Here, obsession, jealousy and rejection lead to necrophilia and murder. That looks as stylish as you'd expect and is supported by a fitting electro soundtrack. And of course you're sent on your way with a really uneasy feeling in your guts as the end credits roll.
½ April 20, 2019
don't watch this movie
March 20, 2019
I just can't believe that the modeling world is filled with soulless, self-absorbed skeletons who do ungodly acts to achieve fame and notoriety. That's almost like saying that Hollywood would do almost anything for a cheap dollar. Shocking.
½ March 18, 2019
Truly awful film, whoever made this, and I really cant be bothered to find out who that is, should seriously consider another career, gratuitous senseless and empty horror, really dont bother...
March 17, 2019
Highly thought-provoking, masterfully directed and visually enthralling.
March 16, 2019
Look, hands up, I'm on-board with Winding Refn. I accept it's not always going to work, but I'm on board for whatever he makes and I probably give him too much leeway. This is another of his ambitious failures. The first half is pretty good. It's weird, it looks amazing in that unique Refn way and you're really intrigued. Then as has happened before in some of his films, the final act let's everything down. It feels like an idea, but one that was never really fleshed out. It doesn't work, fair enough, but I'll still be waiting for what he makes next.
March 5, 2019
It lacked fluidity, but the sci-fi awkwardness felt strange in a good way. I wasn't really scared as much as I was creeped out. Knowing that some scenes were improvised is very weird but it makes this movie even more captivating.
March 4, 2019
Meh, style over substance. Only half a dozen main characters and i knew nothing about them. Very disappointing
March 3, 2019
Long story short: The prettiest movie I've ever seen to feature someone both throwing up an eyeball and then it being re-eaten. With that out of the way:

Wow...I don't even know where to begin with this one. At once absolutely stunning, grotesque, shallow and cleverly ridiculous, I'm pretty confounded about how I actually feel about it as a film. As just a visual project, it's right up my alley in terms of aesthetics and design, one of the most beautifully photographed films I've ever seen.

But the plot is threadbare and the characters thin, so much so that they don't even resemble actual human beings. It also mixes in a straightforward, sometimes boneheaded social critique on the modeling industry and objectification of women that kind of hits its mark even though it will make you roll your eyes at its methods. But there is an alien quality to the whole story that somehow makes it engaging and otherworldly. The Los Angeles shown here feels like the capital of some faraway planet where people literally eat each other to gain their powers. Hell, even Keanu Reeves feels less human in this somehow.

All in all, Refn is a ridiculously stylish director that makes the cinematic equivalent of rock candy: Pretty little morsels that look and taste great, but that kind of hurt to consume and make you feel a little gross afterwards.That being said, I loved LOOKING at this movie every single minute...at least up until that eyeball makes an appearance. 3.5/5
February 25, 2019
Was not really sure what I would get out of this film but I was very blown away. Just as 2001: A Space Odyssey uses many moments with no dialogue this fim does the same to add a very surreal atmosphere. While watching I was reminded of the fim Under the Skin as this film had a very similar feel to it. A slower moving subtle horror movie with most of the action towards the end while wanting to see what happens next throughout the whole feature. Would love to see Nicolas Winding Refn make more films in this genre and will definitely watch more of his work.
February 25, 2019
Really don't waste your time with this one. The plot is thin and the acting is mostly poor although that isn't helped by the lack of a decent script.
Read a book instead .
½ February 20, 2019
I have to say that the movie has great colours and cinematography. But the story itself is strange. I will never believe Elle Fanning will achieve a model career as easy as in this movie. She is beautiful but...
February 17, 2019
Gray performances, true stylistic storytelling, doesnt have a overly complex and useless plot and it can at least be entertaining throughout the film which is more than most movies like this can do
February 7, 2019
´┐ 1/2The neon demon´┐ 1/2┬? a movie by Nicolas Winding Refn and staring Elle Fanning, Jena Malone, Abbey Lee Kershaw and Keanu Reeves.

It´┐ 1/2(TM)s a story about a young girl who moves to LA and she wants to be a model and much the horror of models that have already been in LA for a long time that are trying to get ahead, she plows right through them and into the spotlight because her beauty is natural everywhere she goes everyone get paid attention to her
I´┐ 1/2(TM)ve watched this movie last summer and tbh I enjoyed watching it. I really like the concept of this movie , the director did a great job about story telling. The reason why I like this movie beside the cinematography and soundtrack it´┐ 1/2(TM)s what´┐ 1/2(TM)s movie showing to the audience it´┐ 1/2(TM)s about modern society that most of the girls from my generation and next generations are so obsessed about being super beautiful or hot , you can´┐ 1/2(TM)t be someone else or have another person beauty It does have a great cinematography it´┐ 1/2(TM)s one of the best good looking movies that you can watch and enjoy, the last 3 movies I´┐ 1/2(TM)ve watched from Nicolas Winding Refn it does have great cinematography and also great soundtrack , the soundtrack of this movie is one of the coolest soundtracks I´┐ 1/2(TM)ve listened.
I didn´┐ 1/2(TM)t get a few sexual scenes the director goes too far in my opinion.
But overall it´┐ 1/2(TM)s a good looking movie I enjoyed the concept , the cinematography and the soundtrack and it does have good acting make sure to watch it on big screen with high quality
If you hate this movie I totally get it if you liked it I also get that.
I give 8/10 ´┐ 1/2 ´┐ 1/2 for the neon demon. it´┐ 1/2(TM)s a little bit like black swan it´┐ 1/2(TM)s not that much great but it surprises you in many scenes and comparing this to winding refn last movies it´┐ 1/2(TM)s not as good as drive but it´┐ 1/2(TM)s better than only god forgives in my opinion, I hope you guys enjoy it
½ January 26, 2019
Ehhhhhhhhhh. Did I really just spend two hours to watch some cannibals walk around in slow-mo???? Oh necrophiliacs???? ThatÔ(TM)s fun. Actually thatÔ(TM)s not. Dirty ass crusty dusty motherfuckers.
January 23, 2019
A very cool movie with some scary (but unsurprising) themes, ie the depths girls will sink to to achieve outer beauty (at the cost of inner beauty?) and the depths girls will sink to in re to competition within the model world. The acting is really good from all parties involved (even Keanu Reeves does a great job playing a disgusting landlord). The best part of the movie was the visual experience: the bright (and dark) neon colours. It was great to see red being used as a warning sign and blue being used to signify cool. Hence every scene Jesse is in they use red. I'm not sure what the triangles mean... may be Jesse's deep dive into narcissism? This is a very good movie that has tons of hidden symbology (ie how the movie starts with Jesse's eye and basically ends with that... the eye signifying Jesse's existence). This is a fun movie.
½ January 6, 2019
I could not look away. I wanted to, but I couldn't.
December 24, 2018
Love the atmosphere of the film and the over feel! Dark and funny and full of suprises!
November 26, 2018
Crappy, awful, bizarre movie about skin walkers and cannibals in California. The script was freaking weird and made ZERO sense. The actresses looked like CGI reading a script that they didnÔ(TM)t quite get understand themselves. WHAT A SOULLESS SACK OF BULLSHIT THIS SCRIPT AND MOVIE ARE. Who wrote this crap?!