The Raven Reviews

• Mar 02, 2019

terrible rating here this movie is great

terrible rating here this movie is great

• Oct 17, 2018

The Raven has a very interesting premise, but lousy execution. The grisly plot is very slow-paced and, like some of Edgar Allan Poe's work, it's kind of hard to follow. Poe is also not a very sympathetic character, so it's difficult to root for John Cusack in the role. I almost liked this movie. It could have been so much better.

• Oct 13, 2018

Misled by the given title, the crime thriller is still a treat when it only led to a chain murder mystery with the cliché momentum in thrills - accompanied by further misdirection - and performances, particularly Cusack making a good Edgar Allan Poe. While the vision is nicely-tuned towards the periodic storytelling under decent engagement, its own downfalls are lack of sensible developments and the grisly occurrences that expresses the then appeal for grounded on-street horror literature. (B) (Full review TBD)

• Apr 24, 2018

The obligatory brutal and visually bloody murder happens quite early in the movie. After that there's only the race to safe a maidens life that remains, as we see the main character trying to keep up and getting frustrated of being forced to sift through details. It's a very "safe" adaptation, could have been a lot more bloody and much more twisted. Also it's rather sparse with lighting, I know they only had candlelight in that era and the atmosphere they created was fittingly gloomy and dimly lit, but I squinted quite often in a way that certainly did not "add to the experience".

• Nov 20, 2017

I enjoyed this thriller/suspense movie enough, despite what the critics tell you. Cusack is strong as Poe; it is a quirky performance worthy of comparison to some of Depp's works. Someone is using Poe's stories as a springboard for murder - capturing the inventiveness of the kills - making the eternally inebriated Poe first a suspect and then an integral part of the investigation. The revelation of the villain is a letdown, but overall the movie works.

• Jun 02, 2017

why so low? good àcting, impressive script and humour in the horror

why so low? good àcting, impressive script and humour in the horror

• Jun 02, 2017

6/2/2017: Meh. A pretty good cast, but everything else is forgettable. Nothing great or memorable about this film.

• Feb 02, 2017

It's good movie to watch

It's good movie to watch

• Oct 29, 2016

John Cusack, Luke Evans and Brendan Gleeson lead the film in this bizarre entertaining thriller!

• Oct 22, 2016

John Cuszak is good in comedies and films not to be taken seriously. This movie is so full of itself that, halfway through, I expected Edgar Allan Poe to rise from the grave and challenge Hoops McCann to a free throw contest using Curtis Armstrong as the rim.