The Treasure Hunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Treasure Hunter Reviews

½ March 19, 2015
A new eagle of the desert

An author of adventure novels is due a book with a short turnaround time. Coincidentally, her father is an archeologist that was never part of her life. She gets an opportunity to track down a big treasure in the desert while following in her father's footsteps. The author jumps at the chance to go on this adventure and write all about it.

"I just kicked your ass. Tell me if it hurts, alright?"

Yen-Ping Chu, director of Kung Fu Dunk, The Love Winner, A Marvelous Detective, China Dragon, Angel Heart, Slave of the Sword, and The War Dogs, delivers The Treasure Hunter. The storyline for this picture is kind of too convenient to be true. It just comes together easily and the action scenes are below average. The acting is okay and the cast includes Jay Chou, Chiling Lin, Eric Tsang, and Daoming Chen.

"All fathers love their daughters when they're in trouble."

I came across this film on Netflix and decided to give it a shot. This is a bland and disappointing Indiana Jones type adventure movie. The spiritual pieces were weird and the action wasn't anything special. Overall, I'd skip this picture.

"Don't fall in love with me."

Grade: D
½ March 15, 2015
Chinese Indiana Jones, Chou is great. When there is action, it's entertaining and over quickly. Beautiful settings, superfluous drama and romance.

I like Tsang's catchphrase; "You no good! You no good!"
January 18, 2014
Asian version of Indian Jones!! It's not bad, but too many characters here and there for no reason!
October 22, 2013
Decent Taiwanese copy of The Mummy and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Enjoyable characters, some funny moments and really awesome fight scenes. Quite fun!
November 4, 2012
A chinese martial arts spaghetti western ala Indy, alas Chou's no Ford, but I must say they did a pretty admirable job with the sand dunes and the costumes. A somewhat entertaining collaboration between taiwan, hk & china, if one can get past Chou's 1-D blank stares.
½ November 4, 2012
messy plot stolen from various famous archeological adventures... and why is Jay Chou there? seriously, this guy has about 2-3 expressions in total! *lol*
½ July 23, 2012
It's a pretty awful movie, i didn't expect it to be good, but there are just so many contrived coincidences for this movie to redeem itself, the first thing i noticed was the female lead putting her cell phone in a car holder, then she gets in a car accident and gets knocked out, the cell phone goes flying and lands somewhere not in her pocket, she is then abducted and wakes up to her cell phone ringing inside her pocket, the heroes then lose a map that's suppose to lead to a golden city, but guess who found the map? some woman who knew the hero when he was younger, they then do kung fu fighting for the map, after the hero wins the map, apparently the girl secretly made copies of the map and gave it to the residents of the city, except apparently for the map to actually be useful, you have to hold it upside down so you can see a skull, how none of the hundreds of other citizens didn't notice will be a mystery for the ages, later on the hero meets the eagle of the desert, they fight because the hero cheated in a coin tossing match a long time ago, then the woman who had the map starts fighting the desert eagle because she loves the hero, but the desert eagle loves her, and accidentally stabs her, they then walk away together holding eachother, then they get in the temple and nothing happens except a kung fu fight scene and we find out that one of them is actually samuel L. jackson from deep blue sea, aka he ate his former comrades, the movie ends with the heroine writing a new book while the hero continues to do something in the desert
½ May 25, 2012
It's an Asian version of Indiana Jones meets the Mummy. Not really all that impressive, the story gets you going but then loses you halfway. The actors are good, but not engaging enough to keep the story going. The action is one thing that remains impressive
March 29, 2012
Takes itself so seriously despite how terrible it actually is that it's hilarious.
December 19, 2011
Wow, this is so confusing and a badly put together movie that I can't even say enough to dis it.
½ August 4, 2011
Indiana Jones copy...?
February 20, 2011
It's not a bad Taiwan, but in Cantonese language, rip-off of The Mummy and Indiana Jones film. I was still entertained by cheesy fight scenes and action-packed story. Now, the story is nothing much to mention and time of the story is weird. First, they are in the dessert and another scene shows them in a modern city. Unless they are jumpers, it is impossible but in a story.
The action (some are a bit sloppy) is not great by any means but it is entertaining. The acting is not that good. Jay Chou, I don't even know how he got into the movie with his one and only expression. Chiling Lin, the female main character, is a disappointment.
deano
February 20, 2011
It's not a bad Taiwan rip-off of The Mummy and Indiana Jones film. I was still entertained by cheesy fight scenes and action-packed story. Now, the story is nothing much to mention and time of the story is weird. First, they are in the dessert and another scene shows them in a modern city. Unless they are jumpers, it is impossible but in a story.
½ January 30, 2011
It's like someone had too much money and time... so they decided to smash together a few rejected movie ideas and fill in the gaps with bad acting and mediocre CGI.
January 19, 2011
Le Indiana Jones Chinois, ça faisait longtemps que je n'avais pas vu un film de cette classe, yeux qui brillent et sourire aux lèvres, il est à voir.
November 28, 2010
Don't bother. Although Nathan seemed to really like ???? ...
October 24, 2010
kocak nih pilem..ngelempar bom sekali ledakannya 5 kali..haha
½ October 10, 2010
Indiana Jones meets The Mummy and this in Asian version :)
October 8, 2010
Indiana Jones wannabe minus the charisma, direction and adventure.
½ September 12, 2010
70 points. Jay Chou & Chiling's movie.