The Thief Lord - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thief Lord Reviews

June 18, 2015
I can't wait to see this movie!
½ May 13, 2013
Such a great movie, I liked it. Highly recommended!
March 9, 2013
Maybe the book was better than this movie.
January 10, 2013
Aimed at a younger audience, instead of finding this whimsical and heart-warming, I found it to be slow-paced, shallow and boring. The adults are made out as buffoons, the kids are not cuddly or even likable, and the story is a misch masch of confusing elements in an overly simplistic wrapper. I can't see kids liking this much either. I understand the books are quite good though.
January 1, 2013
i read the book but have not watched the movie so we will see how it goes
December 7, 2012
would like to see looks good
November 11, 2012
It simply doesn't carry the same enchantment the original novel did, and there is more spontaneity in the order of scenes as the whole film feels random. There are attempts to develop some of the minor characters, but all fall short of convincing. Although the end is happy and everyone gets what they deserve, the buildup was poor.
August 6, 2012
July 9, 2012
I expected more from this film, being an adaptation of a book so good, my grade 0-10 is 5.2
May 11, 2012
this movie is ALOT like the boom,which makes it even better.the story is really good
½ April 8, 2012
a nice family film with a slice of fantasy story telling.
April 1, 2012
idk, its trying to hard to be narnia
March 10, 2012
Pretty good though the book was better. Also I love the song Orphan Skies that is played during the end credits.
March 3, 2012
I watched the Thief Lord and I liked this show.
February 27, 2012
Brilliant film, bit sad and some really romantic parts, i think its brilliant and deffo a gotta see cause it makes you feel like a kid again lol
February 17, 2012
This adventure film set in the beautiful city of Venice aims primarily at a young audience. That does not mean there is nothing for adults here, but they may have a harder time connecting to the story, what with very few believable grown-up characters in the story and a rather disjointed way of telling it. The plot gets surprisingly complex for a kids adventure, but the dialog remains rather shallow and simplistic. The soundtrack often makes things sound more exciting and bombastic than they actually are. The movie's biggest asset is the setting, which is primarily real Venice and oozes the atmosphere of the city (even if obviously filmed in winter). The characters do remain rather flat. Now, kids certainly don't mind all that, there is plenty of stuff happening and glimpses of magic between the adventure plot. So the target audience should have fun with it, as an adult there have been more coherent films to watch with children than this.
January 27, 2012
Very bad!
Read the book its 1000000000000x better!
January 22, 2012
Slow, derivative, and puts me to sleep. None of the characters are lovable, making this lousy film adaptation extremely arduous to follow
November 11, 2011
Really good movie. Kids out to really enjoy it and so will their parents. I like to watch movies with my kids so it's important for it to be a family movie.
October 16, 2011
Aaron Johnson. Yes. I read the story too. Love it.