Twist of Faith - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Twist of Faith Reviews

January 27, 2016
About as bad a documentary as can be made. While I feel awful that this man was possibly abused, nothing he did made me feel he was a good parent or even human being. I'm terrified for this man's kids. His parenting is atrocious. Genuinely the worst documentary I have ever seen. I am shocked by the reviews.
½ October 24, 2013
Kirby Dick brings light to a very serious issue. Overall I think it was a bit narrow and could have featured a wider array of criminals rather than focus on the story of one and his victim.
August 20, 2011
The worst thing about glass houses is the lack of privacy.
April 29, 2011
I really like that they made a documentary about this, because this is a topic that needs to be talked about. However, the documentary itself didn't really answer any of my questions, was put together in a somewhat disjointed matter, didn't tell any sort of coherent story or create a solid enough atmosphere, and the ending was an abrupt transition away from what they were trying to say at the beginning. Obviously with a documentary you can't craft an ending the way you can in fiction, but it felt like the entire thing was dropped but they pretended it wasn't. Disappointing, because I was fascinated by the subject material.
April 28, 2011
It works as a companion to the horrifying documentary 'Deliver Us From Evil'. That film, while it dealt with the emotional toll it took on families and their personal rage at those responsible, was more about the environment in the Catholic Church that allowed this type of rampant abuse to occur and remain secret for so long. 'Twist of Faith' is entirely about the personal cost of sexual abuse on the victims. It never goes away, and its arguable that it may never really get better. The toll it takes on this mans family life, his sexual relationship with his wife, his interaction with other people, his religious faith, and every day moments is astronomical. Director Kirby Dick wisely keeps the focus on the people and lets them talk and tell the story. Its unbelievably sad and infuriating that this Priest could destroy so many lives . . . and not just those he abused but the loved ones of the victims as well.
½ February 27, 2011
This isn't easy material, but man, it is definitely worth watching. The evil power religion has over these communities is chilling. Tony, you are a brave man.
March 3, 2009
Damning indictment of the child abuse coverups by the Catholic Church.
½ July 22, 2008
MovingTV documentery. Disturbing stuff but very interesting. Some of the statments made are to ridiculous to believe. See along with Deliver Us From Evil although both have unfortunatly clever titles.
May 7, 2008
he is my neighbor and very nice
½ May 3, 2008
Why anyone would stay a Catholic after being raped by a priest is beyond me. This is an interesting documentary overall but I had to laugh when someone suggested that the sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic church was their first "evil" offense.
½ October 29, 2007
The basic reveal of moving your family in only five houses down from the priest that sexually abused you as a child is haunting enough, but this documentary brings up a lot of unexpected questions and correctly points its aim at the Catholic church's hypocrisy and refusal to acknowledge its own sins; no matter the scarring, soul-devouring effects on even the most devout believers.
June 28, 2007
Since 1950, there have been 11750 reported cases of children who were abused by 5148 priests in the United States. This docu is well done. It feels like watching those realitee shows, but this one is deep.
June 11, 2007
Not my favorite of Kirby Dick's film but it wasn't half bad
½ June 3, 2007
Good Oscar nominated documentary about a man that was molested by a priest and now, after all the years of having to live with the nightmares, finally confronts his past. I liked the way it had footage of the priest being questioned throughout the film, but as the film progressed that idea was used less and sort of disappeared. It was tough to watch because the man was so affected by the situation. But for some reason, I felt there was stuff missing, like it wasn't really complete. I don't really know how to describe it. But I'm really interested in seeing Deliver us From Evil now.
½ February 27, 2007
This is very emotional...
½ January 27, 2007
Twist of Faith is an HBO documentary about a man's recovery from sexual abuse perpetrated by his childhood priest. The doc explores how the Catholic church continues to re-abuse by refusing to take responsibility for the actions of their clergy. Further, Twist of Faith shows how spouses and children become colaterally injured by the abuse. In the end, this documentary is about the painful and awkward recovery of a troubled man. From my perspective we see how difficult this sort of process becomes when we try and make sense of our traumas on our own.
January 16, 2007
Decent Doc, with Jeff Anderson in it.
December 9, 2006
Yeah, i'd like to see this, i think!