War Witch Reviews

• Aug 17, 2017

An engaging drama about the sudden change in the course of a young girl's life as she is forced into a rebel army made pre-dominantly of child soldiers, a tale that is all too common in reality. The film manages to be brutally honest in its depiction of the barbarism surrounding its subject matter without ever going too over-the-top, and although there are some supernatural elements, they are handled with subtlety and serve their purpose well in enhancing the story. Ultimately, despite a few uplifting and light-hearted scenes, 'War Witch' is a rather dark and sombre tale that reminds us of some of the more horrific goings-on in Africa.

• Nov 13, 2016

Serait meilleur si Nguyen ne travaillait pas de manière aussi impersonnelle et calculée, sortez vos petits violons, le dude veut vous faire pleurer et ça parait

• Mar 06, 2016

The narration is beautifully paced, every scene counts. The contrast of horror and beauty stuns but never through shock, always in respect, the simple grace of evidence. Its lyrical without losing itself in melodrama, brutal without falling into the obvious trap of horror for the sake of it (as it would have been so easy to do). This director has shed light and given shape to a tale that will last.

Jan Marc M Super Reviewer
    Feb 07, 2016

Barbaric and unforgiving, War Witch (2012, Canada) is a horrifying tale of child soldiers. Invested in the darkness of humanity although offering a brief comedic respite, War Witch is a socially relevant commentary aware of the repercussions of war and power. Dark 7

• Sep 16, 2015

It is very important that you know what I did before you come out of my belly. A young girl has her village destroyed, parents killed, and is kidnapped by a tyrant known as The Great Tiger to serve in his militia against the government soldiers. The girl shortly after going into battle is identified as a war witch that can see government soldiers in the woods. She partners with The Great Tiger's war wizard to escape and they eventually fall in love. "There are many ghosts...too many ghosts." Kim Nguyen, director of The Marsh, City of Shadows, Truffe, and the upcoming Two Lovers and a Bear, delivers War Witch. The storyline for this picture is very compelling and contains interesting characters. It had a similar feel to City of God. I enjoyed the settings and execution of this film and the acting was very good. "The hardest thing to find in my country is a white rooster." I came across this on Netflix and had to add it to the queue. The premise of this film was very interesting and I enjoyed how the story unfolds. This was a compelling character piece that tells the tale of more challenging places and lives. I strongly recommend this film. "My wizard gave it magic powers." Grade: B

• Dec 16, 2014

War Witch is a necessarily harsh film about impoverished/war-torn countries, that doesn't exactly have a compelling narrative, but holds your attention through documentary-esque filmmaking and a keen eye for brutality.

• Oct 03, 2014

Heart wrenching but beautiful portrayal of a young girl who just keeps hanging on...

• Sep 22, 2014

A strong and poignant film War Witch is a film that deserves to be seen but might be a bit too disturbing for some viewers. The acting is not the greatest and the pacing is a bit uneven but the film is so focused on what it wants to say that it traps the viewers and brings them into the horrors of Africa and its civil distress.

• Jun 11, 2014

This film follows the experiences of a young girl kidnapped into being a child soldier and a war witch (a superstitious job wherein the witch predicts the enemies' movements). The tragedy and brutality that resulted from that kidnapping are sometimes too much to handle but we don't dare look away because we know this situation exists, who knows how many more abused child soldiers there is in the world as of this writing. This is one of those films that will grab you and will haunt your mind for a long time afterwards.

• Apr 26, 2014