Welcome to Marwen Reviews

• Feb 29, 2020

Tragic but heart warming. Steve Carell was convincing in playing his character - based on a real person. The story breaks your heart, but by the end, manages to put it back together. It gives you hope.

• Jan 29, 2020

Surprised by the low rating. Did people just not understand it?

Surprised by the low rating. Did people just not understand it?

• Dec 24, 2019

Steve Carell's performance is probably the best part of this movie—even though he was (surprisingly) just okay. The story (which is inspired by that of real-life Mark Hogancamp) is a great one, but it is not presented or organized well. The screenplay is sloppy; I wouldn't be surprised if they used a first draft. The characters are barely, if at all, characterized enough to make me care about them or what happens to them. Welcome to Marwen could have been a good movie; the final product just felt like it was hurriedly and/or lazily put together. I wasn't familiar with Mark Hogancamp before watching this movie, and I learned very little about him or his story in doing so. By the end, I felt like I could have been more emotionally affected by a newspaper article (which I actually did, and was). Mark Hogancamp and Marwencol deserve a better movie than this.

• Dec 20, 2019

I loved it! Steve Carell is great!

I loved it! Steve Carell is great!

• Dec 18, 2019

Interesting, inventive and highly individual, Welcome to Marwen offers something fresh even if not exactly good. The movie tells a sad story but a creepy one too and one that made me uncomfortable at times. I'm not sure there was another way to tell this unusual story but at least we got to see Steve Carell give a great performance.

• Dec 04, 2019

I thought this was an excellent movie and amazed to find the true story it’s about after watching the film. How it artistically illustrated trauma and ptsd was something that really resonates with all ages. This film absolutely spoke to me and you really feel the characters emotions and struggles as well as coping mechanisms. Well done!

• Nov 26, 2019

Wonderful movie. Captivating. Highly recommend you watch this. Ignore the negative reviews. This is a classic!

• Nov 26, 2019

Somewhat interesting but odd at the same time.

Somewhat interesting but odd at the same time.

• Nov 12, 2019

The picture is filmed from an interesting view, the plot spaced out. I really enjoyed the actor lineup.

• Nov 09, 2019

This may have been one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It lacked excitement, the plotline was juvenile and while I feel bad because it was someone's life it did not make a good movie