We're The Millers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We're The Millers Reviews

½ August 21, 2017
7/10 Very nice and fast.
August 21, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, we re the reviewers who will now review We re the Millers.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Indeed we are. It s the movie with the best penis and breast jokes this summer.

SCOTT: Figures THOSE are the jokes youd notice! Lets recap. We meet David Clark (Jason Sudeikis), a small-time drug-dealer who is single and imagines himself to be living a happy life. Living next door to him is a nerdy teenage boy Kenny (Will Poulter), and down the hall lives a professional stripper named Rose (Jennifer Aniston). Outside his apartment building lurks a homeless, troubled teen girl named Casey (Emma Roberts). One day, while trying to rescue Casey from muggers, David has $43,000 stolen from him. The problem is that he owes this money to his wealthy drug lord supplier, Brad Gurdlinger (Ed Helms).

GREG: Gurdlinger has a proposition for David: Travel to Mexico and pick up a smidge of marijuana from his connection down there. But David doesn t think he can do it alone. He needs a cover. So he hires Rose, Casey, and Kenny to act as his family and be camouflage for the border guards. They no sooner arrive in Mexico and acquire a massive RV when they encounter a super white-bread family: the Fitzgeralds. Hilarity ensues when David learns that he just ripped off drug lord Pablo Chacon (Tomer Sisley) who is after him with a vengeance. Now the chase is on as David and the Millers evade questions from the Fitzgerald family while they evade detection from the drug lord.

SCOTT: Despite my reservations from watching the trailer for this film, I found We re the Millers to be an enjoyable movie. It s no threat to win any Oscars, nor will it make any lists of the top-10 movies of the year. But the movie has an undeniable charm and sweetness that carries the day. The key to winning us over lies in the manner in which the characters are introduced to us. Despite being a loser drug dealer, David courageously intervenes when Casey and Kenny are being roughed up by neighborhood hoodlums. Once we see that all four main characters are decent, likeable human beings, we re rooting for them to find love and good fortune on their hero journeys.

GREG: The joy of this movie, which is essentially a classic road trip, is watching the four main characters transforming and molding into their fictitious roles. David becomes the authoritarian father, Rose begins to take on characteristics of the doting mother, Casey plays out the role of the rebellious sister, and Kenny is the embodiment of the 1950s older brother. In the end they *are* a family, all for one and one for all.

SCOTT: Yes, you ve put your finger on it exactly, Greg. The new roles that our heroes are forced to play become the basis for very meaningful character transformations. For Kenny, the transformation is from innocence and naivety to wisdom and maturity. For David, it s overcoming his stunted emotional growth to become a responsible family man. For Rose, the transformation consists of finally learning how to achieve healthy intimacy. For Casey, it s acquiring a sense of belonging, love, and connection to other people. Of course, We re the Millers is a rather lightweight comedy and these hero journeys are telegraphed and sledgehammered. There are few surprises, and early on we can discern how this movie has to wrap up if it is to deliver a satisfying ending. The only question is how we will get there, and despite the fact that the movie meanders beyond the 90-minute mark (which should have been its maximum length), we re left with fireworks at the end, both literally and emotionally.

GREG: I won t be going on another trip with the Millers, which is to say I won t be going back for a second viewing. But this was an enjoyable romp. I give We re the Millers 3 out of 5 Reels for entertainment value. And, as you point out, each of our players had a minor hero s journey worthy of 3 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Heroes:

SCOTT: We re the Millers is a satisfying comedy that won t win any accolades but can win the hearts of any audience willing to simply enjoy a simple tale about four strangers who evolve into a tight-knit family while braving many dangers. Be warned, there is plenty of potty humor and even a grotesque crotch-shot that will either make you laugh or throw-up. But this film has heart and some cornball charm. I also give it 3 Reels. The hero journey is a bit on the obvious side but still loyal to many of the tell-tale elements of the classic heroic path. Through adversity, our four main characters are able to find their true selves by attaining qualities that are missing and which prevent them from achieving their full potential. Like you Greg, I also give We re the Millers 3 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Heroes:
August 6, 2017
Not too bad. Full of comedy clichà (C) but still reasonably watchable. The cast work well together and there is some nice banter back and forth...particularly between Sudakis and Anniston. The story is old hat..but there is some originality nestled in there. Overall it should've have been funnier (the gag reel at the end was the most amusing in the film) but it did have some laugh out loud moments. Highlight was definitely the mid film strip from Jen. Humanah!!
August 3, 2017
Super funny good flick
July 26, 2017
I loved it! great movie for an afternoon at home.
July 24, 2017
A great concept with decent execution that wrings surprisingly few laughs. It's very watchable and enjoyable but has a confused tone.
July 11, 2017
This movie is soooo funny, such good jokes and amazing cast .
July 10, 2017
Couldn't stop laughing.
July 1, 2017
Funny movie with crude humor that works perfectly. Story line is a little weak but the Jennifer Aniston strip tease scene makes up for it.
½ June 10, 2017
This is goofy great fun and has become our family cult-ish go-to movie. It has believable characters who end up in an unfathomable adventure. My hope is that the earlier critics give this movie another chance. The more you see it the better you'll appreciate the excellent acting and writing.
½ June 4, 2017
How is this supposed to be funny?
May 2, 2017
A brilliantly funny buddy/caper/road movie film with many different layers.
½ April 5, 2017
A very funny but also racist, gross-out disgusting movie. While it has great jokes and a more inventive brand of humor than Sudeikis and Aniston's "Horrible Bosses", it has a very mediocre and unlikable plot, which can be blamed on the fact that the cast mainly played socially awkward characters who had to make up an entire story all based on marijuana and sex.
March 16, 2017
This movie was simply hilarious. The writing was amazing in it in fact was not predictable I couldn't possibly understand why it received such low ratings but if you ask me I'd watch this movie over and over and over again because the enormous amount of labs they gave me comma in the cast was extremely well-chosen everyone fit the part and everyone played the part way to go...#GreatMovie
½ February 28, 2017
It had its funny moments. Not as bad in the end.
January 26, 2017
This was funny but I don't love it enough to buy it
½ December 30, 2016
This movie is another example why I more often go by the Audience Score than the Tomato meter on Rotten tomatoes. It's cute, funny, entertaining, and rewatchable.
December 21, 2016
I don't know why I didn't watch this when it first came out but I laughed. It has some pretty stupid moments but it has its genuinely funny spots that had me. Sudekis is perfect in his role and Aniston is one of the highlights. A far fetched story that works well and comes around with a predictable ending but still worth checking out.
½ December 16, 2016
A really enjoyable comedy. I thought everyone gave balanced performances by not going too far so they seem like cartoon characters. The soundtrack suited the movie and there was some snappy dialogue. It was an original story line that I am unfamiliar with so that made it even better. There are some things that are incredibly funny and the life lesson you watch these people learn can actually make you a better person too.
November 27, 2016
Absolutely hilarious, I love every single bit of it!