West of Memphis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

West of Memphis Reviews

½ August 31, 2016
Wow! Amazing! Sobering! A must see!
August 11, 2016
A fascinating account of this tragic case. Not seen any other documentary relating to this story, so cannot compare, but this was a well made, balanced look at all sides.
July 10, 2016
Glad to see that it had a happy ending.
June 16, 2016
What a fantastic film and more fuel to the fire that the US Justice system is based on vegence, not fairness.
½ February 7, 2016
Excellent documentary that's equal parts infuriating and powerful. This subject can be seen in the Paradise Lost series but this covers everything in one film.
½ November 30, 2015
I was pretty young when the entire West Memphis 3 case started out, but I remember it vaguely from people talking about it in school. It is not until the phenomenal Paradise Lost trilogy of documentaries came out that I really became interested in the case. Which leads me to West of Memphis, the culmination of all those documentaries and then some into one movie. From what I remember reading this documentary took a really long time to make, and it was worth the wait. I find this case really captivating, way more captivating than the OJ Simpson case, where we pretty much knew who did it. But this case went from thinking these three kids were stone cold guilty, to actually stepping back and thinking, wait a minute, this doesn't all come together and doesn't make sense at all. And that is mainly due to the filmmakers of Paradise Lost. The fact that they still have never convicted anyone legit for these crimes is crazy, although new evidence points to one of the boys father as the main suspect. Who knows really? But the movie really takes you on a journey through this entire tragedy and how if certain people didn't just jump to conclusions that maybe these three guys wouldn't have been in prison for so long until they were sent free. More than anything it is a major statement on how people including the justice system discriminate against not just minorities, but anyone that is a little unique or different. Damien Echols wore black and listened to Metallica, he has to be a killer !!! Think again, what we see in this film is not a killer but a really intelligent guy who just happens to wear black and listen to metal music. I listen to heavy metal every day of my life but I wear a suit and tie to work, how does that make me different than Damien Echols ? It doesn't. Judge for yourself, and give this movie a shot, you will enjoy.
August 24, 2015
Brilliant documentary. Not sure how the Alford Plea thing works.
Worst of all I guess is that if they really didn't do it, but stay convicted, then no one is looking for who did.
½ August 19, 2015
The corruption and incompetence of the American "justice system" is crazy. Another great and eye opening documentary.
August 10, 2015
Investigative journalism at its finest. The power of DNA research and how it can turn whole events on its head. This jaw dropping feature documentary also gives its audience a place to contemplate morality and the ripple effect of being known as "guilty".
July 22, 2015
not new but i just saw this amazing documentary. Its a story about juridical mismanagement and injustice. So relevant now that Obama next goal is US prison reforms. check it out!
½ July 18, 2015
Este caso siempre me a fascinado
½ April 9, 2015
The definitive word on the West Memphis Three, and a headspinning account of government duplicity, small town evil, and the difficulty some institutions have in righting their wrongs. Three innocent men spent almost 20 years in prison for crimes they didn't commit. Three 8 year old boys were killed, and many believe their killer still walks free... justice in Arkansas is hard to find, especially when so many were determined to look the other way. The story concludes here, justice is as elusive as ever, however.
½ March 9, 2015
I had so many different and competing emotions upon viewing Amy Berg's superb documentary of the West Memphis Three. At times I had to pause the film because I was so angered by the lies told and conjured up by the prosecutors. Others times I cried like a baby. It is fascinating to see how easily justice can be manipulated and how difficult it is to undo injustices.
February 21, 2015
5 stars across the board!!! Arkansas is freakin crooked!! Those poor guys I can't imagine what they have had to endure and go through. I admire them. Glad justice was REALLY served.
February 8, 2015
Fabulous movie, so disturbing that justice was so absent in AK. A crime.
½ January 13, 2015
Great documentary but only if you've never seen the previous three "Paradise Lost" movies. You're better off just watching those.
½ December 27, 2014
A tremendous documentary that only fails when it highlights the celebrities endorsing those who are jailed rather than concentrating on their story. The whole messiness of the state court proceedings are also something to behold. It's amazing how much effort is put towards keeping the innocent behind bars.
½ September 5, 2014
The shocking case and miscarriage of justice of 3 teenage boys that go on to be collectively known as The West Memphis Three. I have followed the case from the very first time I watched the first Paradise Lost documentary and it's follow on documentaries, read the books, watched all of the clips to be found on the case. A truly fascinating and horrifying tale and a crime that was tried on very little circumstantial evidence. Possibly need to know a little about the overall case to watch, but very worth the watch.
September 4, 2014
good doc but a better title would be 'paradise lost part 3"
½ August 28, 2014
Even if you have seen the Paradise Lost documentaries, this film still offers insights and details not already shown. And it concentrates much of its time on a far more likely murder suspect than the West Memphis Three: stepfather Terry Hobbs.