Reviews

• Sep 01, 2021

A grandiose attempt to present Science Fiction!!!

A grandiose attempt to present Science Fiction!!!

• Jun 11, 2020

Good premise. Boring characters.

Good premise. Boring characters.

• Sep 27, 2019

A real sci-fi classic with George Pal's fingerprints all over it. Unfortunately that sort of ruined the film for me. He was clearly a devout person and that comes across in a movie that is a metaphor for the fate of all of us. We see it coming, react with the Five Stages, and in the end, are transported to a new and better place. Happy ending complete with puppies! The problem for me, viewing this film from the 21st century, more inclusive perspective, is that Pal seems to think that only white people, and Christian white people at that, have a place in the new world, and when I look over the faces of the people on the spaceship that will save some seed of humanity, I just can't help seeing anything but white. And that sort of wrecks an otherwise strong film for me.

• Aug 24, 2019

Great old 50's sci-fi classic.

Great old 50's sci-fi classic.

• Jan 12, 2019

aka - "The Ultimate in White Flight! When the Suburbs Just Aren't Far Enough!" As I've seen noted, this flick didn't age well for a few reasons, but the most glaring is the complete absence of diversity. Of course, that's true of most movies of that era, but when your premise is about saving a portion of the population in a space ark, it's particularly conspicuous. Fairly decent from a technical standpoint, however. Good looking 50's sci-fi.

• Nov 18, 2018

While the special effects are horrible when compared to modern CGI productions, When Worlds Collide manages to convey a feeling of foreboding and even fright. The elevated sense of "what if/what now," draws an immersed viewer into a feeling of suspense, lasting into and even beyond the last moments of the film. If you're watching for explosions, your're in the wrong cinema, but if you're there to enjoy a good story, this one is for you 5 stars.

• Sep 18, 2018

Overall I like this movie very much. Other than the cartoonish animated ending & a few plot themes that could have been better expanded (like the breakdown of society in the face of disaster) this early day disaster movie is still entertaining to watch.

• Feb 18, 2018

Most science fiction movies of the 1950's relied on alien invasions, giant monsters or mad experiments to entertain or scare us. But this one uses the simple thrill of doomsday slowly arriving, and people trying to fight for there lives, and it works quite well. Apart from that, the acting is also quite good, even though there's nobody really famous in there, the movie itself is quite colorful and the special effects are just absolutely amazing for this type of pic. When Worlds Collide is a nice sci-fi gem, and one if the best from the 50's. Recommended !!

• Aug 07, 2017

Absolutely superb.It's surprising how little has changed between this and 2012, Armageddon etc.

• Apr 07, 2017

Surely one of the very best 50s sci fi movies and one I've never seen before. The frightening and bold premise is matched by great effects and a solid cast.