Il Tuo Vizio è una Stanza Chiusa e Solo Io ne ho la Chiave (Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Il Tuo Vizio è una Stanza Chiusa e Solo Io ne ho la Chiave (Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key) Reviews

April 12, 2017
Ah, is there a finer combination than Sergio Martino and Edwige Fenech in a '70s Giallo? A freaky author ends up with a dead mistress and that's just the beginning as more bodies pile up and we get all the usual tropes of the genre to keep you guessing about the identity of the killer.

Great stuff and one that I would use to try to turn others on to the genre if they express an interest.

Recommended.
½ July 25, 2016
A decent example of an Italian Giallo Thriller directed by Sergio Martino, a workhorse director who dabbled in many genres but made several effective Giallo films bask in the day. Luigi Pistilli (AKA 'Mitch' Pistilli from Sergio Leonne;s For A Few Dollars More) plays Oliver, an embittered booze-swilling writer with a bad case of writer's block. The hedonistic Oliver hosts parties with young counter-culture types while tormenting and abusing his wife, Irina (Anita Stindberg). Several gruesome murders occur, is Oliver the killer? Does Irina harbour a secret? And what of the writer's late mother (an Italian Countess) and her still living black cat Satan have to do with all this. If you pick up the Blu Ray or research the film further on-line it will be noted that it is based on a certain Edgar Allen Poe story. Lots of sex (Stinberg and the equally lovely Edwige French are on display here); red herrings; a suspicious police Inspector; and an exotic but foreboding Italian mansion; and early 1970s fashions. All the ingredients for entertaining viewing.
May 10, 2016
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key is another delightfully perverted and supremely Oedipal giallo that features the always delicious Edwige Fenech and delivers one twisted bit of fun upon another. Martino blends an avalanche of sexual debauchery together with murder and intrigue to create a film that ranks not quite with the classics of the genre but pretty damn close.
½ April 9, 2016
Dated, sexist, misogynistic and casually racist, this loose adaptation of Poe's The Black Cat works best when sticking to the source material.
½ December 8, 2014
A ridiculous and pretty boring mix of infidelity, spousal abuse, black gloved killers (of course!) and Edgar Allen Poe's The Black Cat, only worth watching for the pneumatic Miss Feneche
September 30, 2013
The Italian Giallo is a Privileged Room but Sergio Martino has a Skeleton Key--Martino, Fenech and a cat named "Satan"!!
August 12, 2012
Why so much love for this film? It's bland and the opening sequence is terrible. The only thing really memorable about it is how adorable Edwige looked. Giallo is my favourite genre and this movie made me bored. Am I missing something?
August 8, 2012
TON VICE EST UNE CHAMBRE CLOSE DONT MOI SEUL AI LA CLE en vf. Giallo hippie balbutiant qui manque de forme et de fond... Au suivant svp!
February 13, 2012
Very good giallo. Stylish, great camera work, interesting characters, and crazy plot changing twists. Really enjoyed this one.
DragonEyeMorrison
October 15, 2011
Martino in top form, same goes for Pistilli and the rest of the cast. Nicolai's score is the cherry on this delicious giallo cake. They really don't make erotic thrillers like this anymore.
September 3, 2011
Another adaptation of Poe's 'The Black Cat', must have seen 5 or 6 now. That aside this is an excellent Giallo. Martino draws you in and keeps you guessing throughout. The man is a master. Fenech is ace as pernormal and Pistilli in probably(for me anyways) his most standout roll(ive only seen him in 4-5 flicks). Must see for Gialli fans.

2nd viewage. Forgot how much sex there is in this. And its all weird sex. But it adds to the charm of the piece. Honourable mentions needed for Strindberg and Rassimov. This surely has to be the most stand out cast in any Giallo ever?
August 11, 2011
I was sceptical if the film was going to be as awesome as the title. It is. The plot is twisty and keeps you guessing, and Edwige Fenech is simply incredible. Also Luigi Pistilli is ace, amping up the ambiguity nicely. Well worth a watch.
½ April 25, 2011
Au départ je ne faisais pas attention à ce giallo parce que je pensais que "Your vice....." était le titre alternatif de "Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh" étant donné que le personnage joué par Fenech recevait un message où il était écrit "Your vice etc etc". Mais je me trompais évidemment, mais les deux films sont bel et bien réalisés par le prolifique Martino !

La base de ce film est une histoire de Poe "Le chat noir" où un mec obsédé par sa môman pète les plombs et devient un vrai poison pour son entourage, poison étant à peine exagéré puisque les morts se succèdent dans ce château aux mille secrets ! Autre point commun avec "Mrs Wardh" est évidemment Fenech qui cette fois n'a rien de la victime fragile à qui rien ne sourit, c'est ici une manipulatrice, tentatrice et toujours aussi diablement sexy ! "Chat Noir" oblige, y'a bien un chat noir au coeur de l'intrigue et surtout dans le dénouement final qui ne manque pas de chien, si j'ose m'exprimer ainsi !
September 14, 2010
I only rented this because of the amazing title, but this is a really serious giallo classic. Sexy, immersive turns by Edwige Fenech and Anita Strindberg liven this wily portmanteau of Poe and Italian bacchanalia; the character work is surprisingly complex, and the cinematography pops. It's been a while since I've seen it since I could never find it on Flixster, but I can think of image after warped image that have lingered in my brain. Sergio Martino is absolutely one of the strongest directors in this field, and I look forward to seeing more of his work. Torso's next!
½ August 7, 2010
July 30, 2010
It's just a whole mess of plot holes, but all of them are nicely lit and the camera guides the viewer around each one until ... did I see an anthology movie where only one story ended?
February 13, 2010
you've got it all here: stellar cast featuring a perfect role for Edwige Fenech and an outrageous performance by Luigi Pistilli, finally a male actor up to the task in hand; some top-class sleaze; a twisty satisfying plot; some gorgeous cinematography; an astounding baroque Bruno Nicolai soundtrack.... oh, and a black cat
½ December 28, 2009
If the last giallo I watched (The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave) was pretty good, then this must be exceptional. This is a giallo driven less by the usual whodunnit tropes and more by the psychosexual tension between its players, from the abusive relationship between Oliviero and his wife Irena (genre mainstays Luigi Pistilli and Anita Strindberg, respectively) to the intrusion of his sexually manipulative niece, Floriana (Edwige Fenech). Martino's film has more depth than most of its ilk thanks to the screenplay by Ernesto Gastaldi and others, which draws upon Edgar Allan Poe's "The Black Cat" (especially in the final half hour). In terms of direction Sergio Martino is solid, delivering some solid suspense and beautiful (if not Argento-quality) murder scenes. As usual Bruno Nicolai contributes an amazing score; the main theme is particularly haunting. I'd say the film's only major weakness comes in its opening scene, which features a hideously dubbed musical sequence. It's possible this sequence works better in the original Italian, but in its dubbed form its utterly ludicrous. Overall I'd say this movie contributes to the case for Martino as one of the great Italian horror directors. Hopefully The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh will be just as good!
August 11, 2009
The description sounds interesting,i guess.
½ August 1, 2009
A rambling, doubled back upon itself thriller/horror/giallo. Fenech is amazing as a con artist trollope. Strindberg wallows in a wild hair victimhood that careens back to the Hammar femme fatales sans the gothic cleavage. Pistilli is a brute in loose cable knit turtle necks.

The plot is a riff on EA Poe. But what it fails to do with coherent storytelling it more than makes up for with incest, orgies, drugs, fetishism, drunks, murder, lesbians, motorbikes, double crossings, nudity, crazy bottle lady, interracial love, dead doves, rape, and a kitty cat named satan!

how could this go bad? it can't. Awesome!