Baskets: Season 4 Reviews

• 5d ago

Season 4 of Baskets should be the last season. Dale is too ridiculous to sympathise with. He is an utterly unlikable person and he's not going to change. He's a caricature. Zach does the same gay southern accent in The Campaign under the name Marty. He also does it on between two ferns (and on stage) playing his own – fake – brother Seth Galifiankis. It's a bit too much. Seth isn't as funny as Zach. The show would be better without Dale. The matriarch – Christine Baskets – is the best character in the show, without question. She isn't a clown. She doesn't live in a trailer park. She doesn't have a mullet. But, she's often hilarious. Louie Anderson does an amazing job. His performance is flawless. It looks effortless. I can't imagine a woman playing a more convincing Christine. Martha comes in second. She's an absolutely bizarre character yet somehow she's still believable as a human being. She doesn't have a bad fake accent. She's not borderline mentally retarded. She's just a wonderfully eccentric person. Chip is a dead end. First he was a clown, now I'm not sure who he is. The whole clown thing didn't work out for him, I guess. It didn't eventuate into anything for the audience, either. I don't think Galifiankis had any idea where he was going to go with the idea. I'm in the middle of watching an episode. I stopped it to write this, because I'm struggling to find the motivation to keep watching. When the first episode (of season four) came out, I discovered I'd already stopped watching – last year – about halfway through season three... I mistakingly thought I'd accidentally missed out on some episodes. But, I soon realised why I stopped watching. The show is not going to get any better. Every season has been worse than the one before. If one of the characters in Happy Days suddenly inherited a tonne of money and bought a rodeo, we'd say they were jumping the shark. That didn't happen, of course. Instead a Jewish guy wearing a leather jacket literally jumped over a shark while waterskiing. Hence, the phrase. When the Connors won the lottery in the final season of Roseanne's original run, audiences immediately disconnected. The show was supposed to be about a typical working American family, not a bunch of millionaires. The same thing applies to Christine and her entire family. It completely changes the dynamic of the show if she has too much money. They work around this somewhat by never telling you how much the inheritence is. Then, in classic television style, she blows "the rest of it" on an extravagant party and the status quo is re-established. Like in the Simpsons how everything always resets by the end of the episode. But – somehow – Christine has enough money left over to buy a condo for Chip. Anything is possible if your characters win the lottery or inherit millions of dollars. The writers are cheating. They aren't committed to changing Christine. They want to have their cake and eat it to. She's the same old Christine, living the same life. But – now – when they run out of ideas, they can just use her money to force change. It's a cheap trick. Christine having the money to buy the rodeo and buy the condo makes Chip look even more ungrateful and childish than he ever did before. He's no longer a likable character. He hasn't been on a journey. He hasn't learnt anything. He basically just screwed around his entire life, then his mother bought him a place to work and a place to live... Yet, he's still a miserable asshole. I don't know what I'm supposed to think, watching this show. I feel sorry for Christine, who is lovely person and deserves better from her children. I don't feel sorry for Chip. I never cared about his dream to be a clown. I don't care if he finally grows up. He's a middle-aged child... I guess I'm tired of watching films and TV shows about men who act like little boys. Dale seriously makes me cringe. If I could watch an edited version of the show without him, I might keep watching. But, as it is, I don't think I can take any more.