Fireflies in the Garden - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fireflies in the Garden Reviews

September 15, 2016
The cast makes it an essential movie to not wait for dvd
July 21, 2016
a lot of good actors wasted.
February 27, 2016
Interesting movie, great cast. Ryan and William delivered as excepted. Story was unfinished at the end, but worthy to see and it was as is much better than many blockbuster movies. Sadly it's so underrated.
½ January 12, 2016
anything but uplifting,but keeps you interested by being amusingly irritating and easily watchable-not close to being dull.
January 1, 2016
I just watched this on New Year's Day of 2016 so I'm a little behind. That being said I really enjoyed it. I love Ryan Reynolds and his performance is great. All the actors played their roles well. I don't know why the critics were so harsh and rarely go by what they say anyway. Good or bad. The fact that the audience scores are practically even, as far as liking or disliking, says to me you have to like this genre and subject matter.
August 9, 2015
I really liked this movie. Really great performances and a pretty sad movie
May 25, 2015
Tedious despite the brilliant cast!
½ November 12, 2014
This feels like watching a 'Bad TV movie'. Slow, boring and uninteresting. Forget it.
½ October 3, 2014
Kind of interesting story.
½ September 9, 2014
Jeez Willem Dafoe is such a bastard in this, I really (really) hated him here. Decent movie with a great cast, giving great performances in a dysfunctional family drama. For the most part the plot follows 'Michael' (Ryan Reynolds) flip-flopping back and forth between him at the age of 12 and at 30 -following the unexpected death of a family member and just before he publishes a memoir that will reveal painful family secrets. Reynolds does a good job as Michael, he's pretty messed up after being raised (tortured) by an abusive, manipulative father. I enjoyed the entire cast as they muddle through tragedy but was left frustrated by how many of the "secrets" were never revealed -I had questions left unanswered. And in no way had Dafoe's character redeemed himself in the end, which I think we were meant to assume. 9/8/14
May 9, 2014
Touch & relatable family drama/character story...
February 23, 2014
Not as strong as I had hoped given the cast of characters and the topic. Makes me feel like too much good stuff was left on the editing room floor.
½ December 26, 2013
Luciérnagas en el jardín
December 18, 2013
Beautiful film with a cast that fits like a glove. This movie is drastically under estimated and anyone who really appreciates film will see the beauty in this one.
November 10, 2013
I loved this movie, the cast is amazing, great performances by them all.The story goes back & fourth from Past too Present just an emotional dark tragic story..
½ August 18, 2013
Such a wonderful ensemble cast that doesn't seem to get it all together to create a succinct story and a point to the film. After the film is finished, you're left with a so-what-feeling. At times, the atmsophere, largely a dreadful quietness of a dysfunctional family with underlying but not-expressed agression, is interesting to observe. Yet, it's not enough to save the film.
August 1, 2013
Not a bad flick, although many people didn't seem to care for it. Good performances by an excellent cast, and it made much more sense than Tree of Life, which critics liked so much, but was way too long and lots of people didn't realize until which brother Sean Penn was (I was one of them). This movie was more like most peoples' lives--a mix of good times and bad, fathers expecting too much of of their sons, and the problems caused by one child being the favorite, husbands and wives drifting apart during a long marriage. the guilt caused by tragedy and death--all things common to the human experience. That's what makes a film to which we can relate.
July 27, 2013
This is not a happy topic, but, even though the critics panned it, I thought it was thoughtful and well acted.
July 1, 2013
Watchable family drama with good fairly good actors. Ryan Reynolds is the main reason I watched it in the first place but it's worth giving a try. I kind of like this type of dysfunctional family movies. Powerful acting by Willem Dafoe as always.
June 11, 2013
What a waste of time! I watched this whole movie, and literally NOTHING happened.....good cast, but that is the only positive....the only thing I learned was that the father was an asshat.....