The Duchess - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Duchess Reviews

February 4, 2017
I love this film, I find the story riveting but so sad and it stays with me a long time after the film has ended. Keira Knightly is superb as is the rest of the cast. The costumes and music and beautiful. This is one of my favourite films
January 16, 2017
Keira knightly strikes yet again. What a fantastic period drama.
January 6, 2017
Excellent performances by the actors here. The plot was extremely interesting and intense. This is a tragic love story that had me absolutely riveted. I highly recommend it.
September 4, 2016
The film is like a cliff note of her life. Really, there seems to be much more material to it, and not all that feminist. The duke is played in a sensitive way, but not sure it was so in real life. To me, this film hide psychopathy of many characters. Funny to learn in this tomato page that the future english royals will be her direct descendants.
September 4, 2016
April 8, 2016
Visually breathtaking, heartbreaking, lovely music. I found myself completely immersed and mesmerized and it tugged at my heartstrings more than I expected. The emotions were deftly handled, every frame was stunning, and Georgiana especially was a luminous character it was so easy to identify with. One of the best films I've seen in quite a while.
February 20, 2016
Well acted and the costuming definitely deserved the Oscar. I'm glad I saw it, but I doubt I'll watch it again.
½ October 27, 2015
"The Duchess" ,gloom sadness Drama with alot of irreconcilable events,nice end with no unpredictable thing.
August 22, 2015
An intense period drama which demonstrates the imprisonment that comes from injustice - a very modern theme.
August 20, 2015
Nice period piece, based in historical figures. Fiennes in particular was quite good.
½ August 10, 2015
Superb acting highlights a played out genre and explicitly predictable story that plays it way too safe to be as provocative or scandalous as it needs to be.
½ June 30, 2015
A tragic look at a life of privilege. How life can be unfair, and you can't have it all. That you can solider on inspight of romantic hardship, even though you wish to give up on life .
June 3, 2015
i thought it was a pretty good keira knightley movie
½ May 15, 2015
It was OK. I loved scenery and costumes. I found the story itself a little dull. Would have liked a little more about here not just her marriage.
March 23, 2015
Really enjoyable movie. Overall pretty sad, though
March 18, 2015
Good Historical Piece....
March 8, 2015
A movie that is both entertaining and enjoyable to watch with beautiful filmography.
½ February 18, 2015
What an awful story. I wouldn't have been able to put up with all that nonsense.
February 17, 2015
I liked this movie. The acting is good and the directing and story line are also done well. It's sad but good.
½ February 15, 2015
Kiera seems to belong to this era. She played a lot of roles in similar fashion. It was based on a true story and thanks to Charles Grey we can enjoy Earl Grey Tea. There was an Oscar nomination for sure.