We're No Angels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We're No Angels Reviews

½ July 26, 2015
Extremely bland, from the acting to the plot to the settings
June 27, 2015
I am a fornicator.

Two convicts on death row recently witnessed another inmate get executed. As they ponder their future, a prison breakout causes a huge opportunity for the inmates to escape. The two convicts take advantage of the opportunity and head through the woods into a small town. They are mistaken as priests and quickly placed in the middle of a religious temple with other priests. They will need to balance hiding their identity with the expectations from their new peers.

"What are you, priests?"
"That's right. We're priests."

Neil Jordan, director of Byzantium, The Crying Game, The Butcher Boys, The Brave One, High Spirits, Ondine, The Good Thief, and Michael Collins, delivers We're No Angels. The storyline for this picture unfolds very well and contains some great settings and character interactions. The script is solid and the humor is well infused. The cast delivers awesome performances and includes Robert De Niro, Sean Penn, Demi Moore, Wallace Shawn, John C. Reilly, and James Russo.

"You're Brown."
"You're Brown."

I came across this on Netflix and decided to add it to the queue since I had not seen it in some time. I actually do not remember liking this much when I saw it as a kid, but I liked it a lot more now. This isn't as good as the Bogart film, but it is entertaining and unfolds well. I recommend watching this once.

"The taking of a life is no minor thing."

Grade: B
½ April 18, 2015
Penn and DeNiro together and all we get this weak plodding paced comedy
February 27, 2015
Saw "We're No Angels" on Netflix last night. Don't agree with the critics who panned this film. I liked it. Not Oscar worthy material, but a fun movie just the same.
February 17, 2015
Escaped convicts hide out on the border of Canada and pretend to be priests in this overdone comedy format.
½ February 17, 2015
Not that bad of a movie to be honest. It probably could've been considerably better given the people involved (Neil Jordan as director, David Mamet as screenwriters and a pretty solid cast), but it is what it is. It's just a movie that feels stuck in place, it doesn't really get to go anywhere and it maintains the same tone throughout. Which is fitting given the fact that Ned and Jim are stuck at the border between the U.S and Canada as escaped convicts who have to pretend to be priests to avoid capture. This isn't something that hadn't been done before this movie, so it plays out almost exactly as you'd expect. There's no real surprising events, it's as predictable as a film can be. I mean it all plays out in a relatively pleasant way, Robert De Niro surprised me in not playing the straight man in this film. He's a little bit goofy, not like too over-the-top or anything, but goofy for what De Niro is known for, and I don't know if it was a good fit for him. Sometimes he makes it work in his favor, but others leave a lot to be desired. But I guess I gotta give him props for trying to do something a little "outside the box", for someone of his trajectory. Sean Penn is decent, but this was before he became a great actor, but there are instances where Penn's character just disappears and he isn't seen for a long stretch of time. It's a little difficult to see these two as close buddies when one of the characters is missing in action for big chunks of time. But it's not like De Niro and Penn have great chemistry. They're ok together, but there was just a little spark missing between them. This was certainly an inoffensive enough film, even with the characters pretending to be priests, so those looking for a biting satire on religion and priesthood, then you're barking up the wrong tree. This is a crowd-pleaser first and foremost. It's pleasant and serviceable, not a great comedy by any means, but watchable enough if you got nothing better to do.
½ December 6, 2014
Not overly interesting. A couple escaped convicts hide out as priests with predictable situations.
½ November 20, 2014
August 4, 2014
(First and only viewing - 6/16/2013)
May 16, 2014
Jordan disappears on sudden!
½ April 22, 2014
Mamet's dialogue occasionally elevates it, but the absurd, insane contrivances of the plot drove me crazy. It's so ridiculous that any of these people would believe these guys are for real; they even have pictures of the real guys for crying out loud. And even if I could swallow it, the plot itself completely dominates, with characters serving primarily as devices and acting in ways motivated entirely by the plot. It's sometimes funny, but its logic irritated me to distraction.
January 21, 2014
2 things shine in this film: Neil Jordan's fantastic location shooting and Robert DeNiro's comedic timing.
½ January 8, 2014
David Mamet wrote this fairly funny film with heart. It won't change your life, but it is enjoyable.
November 28, 2013
if this movie doesn't make you 'laugh'...your not breathing
½ October 28, 2013
Mismatched but interesting
½ June 10, 2013
Falls well short of its potential, but a fun lark nonetheless.
May 22, 2013
A remake I know, but still fun to watch. I remember seeing this at the show when I was in the 8th grade. I've always been a DeNiro fan.
April 23, 2013
This isn't a bad movie, but it's nothing special or memorable. It seems like a film that was made because De Niro was tired of doing serious roles and wanted something fun.
½ April 7, 2013
I liked it better than the critics did. Not a Demi fan.
½ March 16, 2013
We're No Angels benefits from Neil Jordan's skilled direction at setting a complex atmosphere, and good cinematography, as well as a shot of Demi Moore's breasts before she went plastic, but it give no assistance to a film that is supposedly a comedy but doesn't know went to start being one or to give a single laugh and just becomes too forgettable. It executes the prison escape well, though.