The Mask - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mask Reviews

May 16, 2017
A perfect dark Jim Carrey comedy. Much better than the Cable Guy.
May 11, 2017
One of the funniest satires of the super-hero movies genre. Jim Carrey was the perfect choice for the role and with his carisma and energy, the material was elevated very easily. It might have some predictable problems, but in the end we don't need to take sort of stuff too seriously. So have fun!
½ May 2, 2017
Smokin!!!! Some body stopped me!!!! A fun filled movie
April 22, 2017
One of Jim Carrey's best movies. I watched the Animated Series all the time when I was just a few years old. Rob Paulsen did at least as good a job voice acting Stanley Ipkiss and The Mask as Jim Carrey did live acting them.
April 17, 2017
Faithful to the comic's? Hell no but is it a really enjoyable movie? Yes....
March 31, 2017
The mask staring Jim Carrie was a funny movie what I think is funny my favorite line in this movie was Smoking that made me laugh. So if you need a funny movie see this one!
March 22, 2017
One of the funniest films on my list
February 24, 2017
My childhood favorite movie!
January 28, 2017
This review will be short, but the mask is directly put the fun. Jim Carrey entertains a fine performance as a man, which becomes the mask by means of limitless, especially stretchy green-faced dudes. Comic story line playing, and especially Carrey doing the best performance. One of the best comedies.
January 14, 2017
Whoever made the decision to make this a fun family fest instead of a gorefest from the comics is a genuis. *great movie
January 8, 2017
Jim Carrey is smoking as The Mask!
January 8, 2017
Despite this film being awful, it was significant for a number of reasons. The film was a device to launch Jim Carrey to superstardom; it launched Cameron Diaz's career; was an early example that ushered in modern CGI effects. It was also a blockbuster success.

I consider this a dark comedy. It isn't funny. It isn't for children. It isn't pleasant or enjoyable to watch. The Mask character is not a fun character at all. Jim Carrey has made several of these blockbuster successes that are horrible films , such as How The Grinch Stole Christmas and The Cable Guy. These films are not funny nor pleasant viewing experiences. Perhaps these are qualities that Carrey brings to these films himself.

What surprises me is that this could have been more light-hearted, with The Mask character being more child-friendly. This would have launched The Mask dolls, games and sequels. Instead this was a massive success in its day and become largely forgotten. It is NOT a classic.
½ January 4, 2017
Not a bad movie for a comic-based story.
½ December 31, 2016
Although it doesn't hold up as well as it did more than two decades ago The Mask still keeps its 90's child like charm. The plot probably could have been better in hindsight but everyone played their parts well and Jim Carrey puts in a stellar performance.
December 27, 2016
Not as gory as the comics, but still a pretty fun film thanks to Jim Carrey's performance.
½ December 17, 2016
perfect part to Jim Carrey for a crazy and fun character, transformed like a cartoon in a real world
½ December 14, 2016
The mask is totally bonkers, crazy, mad and completely 90's. Its Jim Carrey at his most ridiculous but at the same time its just outstandingly mesmerizing. Its very funny and entertaining, even after all these years.
½ December 12, 2016
Love this!!! So funny possibly my favourite Jim Carey film. Was so funny
November 27, 2016
This is the first time I have seen this movie. I enjoyed it, good CG effects, for its time, and it helped bring Jim Carrey to the forefront of comedy.
½ October 23, 2016
The mask is perhaps one of Carrey's best. The unique theme of 'the mask' makes it a homerun.