The Mask - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mask Reviews

February 24, 2017
My childhood favorite movie!
January 28, 2017
This review will be short, but the mask is directly put the fun. Jim Carrey entertains a fine performance as a man, which becomes the mask by means of limitless, especially stretchy green-faced dudes. Comic story line playing, and especially Carrey doing the best performance. One of the best comedies.
January 14, 2017
Whoever made the decision to make this a fun family fest instead of a gorefest from the comics is a genuis. *great movie
January 8, 2017
Jim Carrey is smoking as The Mask!
January 8, 2017
Despite this film being awful, it was significant for a number of reasons. The film was a device to launch Jim Carrey to superstardom; it launched Cameron Diaz's career; was an early example that ushered in modern CGI effects. It was also a blockbuster success.

I consider this a dark comedy. It isn't funny. It isn't for children. It isn't pleasant or enjoyable to watch. The Mask character is not a fun character at all. Jim Carrey has made several of these blockbuster successes that are horrible films , such as How The Grinch Stole Christmas and The Cable Guy. These films are not funny nor pleasant viewing experiences. Perhaps these are qualities that Carrey brings to these films himself.

What surprises me is that this could have been more light-hearted, with The Mask character being more child-friendly. This would have launched The Mask dolls, games and sequels. Instead this was a massive success in its day and become largely forgotten. It is NOT a classic.
½ January 4, 2017
Not a bad movie for a comic-based story.
½ December 31, 2016
Although it doesn't hold up as well as it did more than two decades ago The Mask still keeps its 90's child like charm. The plot probably could have been better in hindsight but everyone played their parts well and Jim Carrey puts in a stellar performance.
December 27, 2016
Not as gory as the comics, but still a pretty fun film thanks to Jim Carrey's performance.
½ December 17, 2016
perfect part to Jim Carrey for a crazy and fun character, transformed like a cartoon in a real world
½ December 14, 2016
The mask is totally bonkers, crazy, mad and completely 90's. Its Jim Carrey at his most ridiculous but at the same time its just outstandingly mesmerizing. Its very funny and entertaining, even after all these years.
½ December 12, 2016
Love this!!! So funny possibly my favourite Jim Carey film. Was so funny
November 27, 2016
This is the first time I have seen this movie. I enjoyed it, good CG effects, for its time, and it helped bring Jim Carrey to the forefront of comedy.
½ October 23, 2016
The mask is perhaps one of Carrey's best. The unique theme of 'the mask' makes it a homerun.
October 12, 2016
One of my favorite Jim Carrey movies of all time.
½ September 24, 2016
No one else could have pulled this movie off other than Jim Carrey, he was born for this role. This movie really is smokin'!
September 19, 2016
i thought it was great movie with tons of great laughs through out the whole movie.
½ September 8, 2016
This movie can be described as: a cartoon with Jim Carrey as the main character. The mask concept is cool and Jim Carrey plays it perfectly! If you haven't seen this 90s flick, check it out! The Cuban Pete scene is really cool too.
VERY GOOD... 7/10 OR 3.5/5
August 30, 2016
Why can't Jim Carrey make more movies like this?
August 28, 2016
One of Jim Carrey's best movies. I watched the Animated Series all the time when I was just a few years old. ?Rob Paulsen? did at least as good a job voice acting Stanley Ipkiss and The Mask as Jim Carrey did live acting them.
August 16, 2016
The Mask was an enjoyable movie. There are some laughables in there that totally got me! But there is one major flaw with this film. Jim Carey's performance in my opinion wasn't great at the start. But then towards the middle, he started becoming better and better.

Cameron Diaz was good throughout BUT... The best part about this movie was the dog. When Jim Carey's character couldn't handle things on his own, the dog was there.. And the funniest part of the film was when the dog put on the mask. That was a good laugh. The mask is an enjoyable fun movie, and it deserves some credit.