Kingpin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kingpin Reviews

March 20, 2017
I've never been a fan of the Farrelly brothers movies, but as ever Bill Murray always demands attention for yet another great comic performance.
January 8, 2017
I was never really a Big Lebowsky fan. This is my favorite bowling comedy.
January 5, 2017
often times vulgar, but has enough funny moments
December 30, 2016
"Kingpin" is a goofball comedy that isn't very funny. I know that it is a well-known fact that you can put Bill Murray into any comedy with a supporting role and his humor will immediately elevate the film, but even that couldn't save this one. As a last ditch effort, they featured Blues Traveler dressed in Amish garb during the closing credits song... These are the sorts of things that you can expect to find in "Kingpin." Rule number one of goofball comedies: if you make them too vulgar or too mean-spirited, their tone will be completely off. This is the main issue with the "Hangover" series. There comes a point where you feel so bad for the characters that you can't laugh at their misfortune. This film strikes that note in the first 15 minutes when the main character loses his bowling hand. I realize that the story is contingent on this event, but they don't have to smash windshields and aggressively thrust a man's hand into a bowling ball return. Woody Harrelson is okay (but definitely not close to his best), Randy Quaid is alright (but not as good as his typical character roles), and the rest of the cast don't offer much either. "Kingpin" was a waste of time and I'm going to stick with 'Dumb & Dumber" the next time that I want to watch a brainless comedy by The Ferrelly Brothers.
½ December 25, 2016
Kingpin is stupid, but funny.
December 24, 2016
This wasn't really as funny as I thought it was going to be, but it was still enjoyable for the most part. It had some pretty weak jokes, but then it had some good ones too. Woody Harrelson and Bill Murray play pretty well off of each other.
November 20, 2016
I rarely like comedies, but this one takes the cake. Twist after twist it keeps you guessing.
½ November 8, 2016
Not as good as I remembered, but still a funny movie.
October 1, 2016
Way funnier than Big lebowski!
August 30, 2016
honestly, quite being critics and enjoy this comedy. Anyone who doesn't like it should stick to silent films
August 19, 2016
Woody Harrelson and Randy Quaid are great bowlers!
½ August 14, 2016
Revisited this one that still holds up thanks to Bill Murray and a great soundtrack.
August 6, 2016
Kingpin is a good comedy with just enough laughs, but hardly any heart.
July 31, 2016
- Watched this yet again, no idea how many times I've seen it now, and it still holds up for me. Harrelson, Murray and Quiad are all hilarious. This is probably one of my Top 10 comedies. So many classic lines. Yes it's crude, but it's also very funny. I was also listening to the commentary, apparently Bill Murray improvised most his scenes, at one point even throwing his script into the garbage. Classic stuff!

- I have seen this many times...but not in years...I love it...check it out.
July 21, 2016
This movie had its moments. I really enjoyed the opening act and the final act. The middle of the film was kind of what I expected out of it, with Woody Harrelson's character being fairly awful, but I really didn't expect the beginning and ending of the film to be as good as they were. It was nice to be caught off guard. Bill Murray was tremendous in this film, in a rare villain role for him. This was the least "Randy Quaid"-ish role I've seen Randy Quaid in. I didn't even recognize him at first. All in all, I enjoyed seeing this film, but I don't think I would necessarily rewatch it again later...except to see Bill Murray's hair. It was the best!
June 11, 2016
What an awful film! So boring and unfunny, Bill Murray could hardly even attempt to save it!
½ April 11, 2016
One of the Farrelly brothers' best comedies, full of wonderfully bizarre gags and hilarious performances. Despite not writing the original screenplay you can easily see how they morphed it into something that bares all their hallmarks (crude and occasionally mean spirited humor that's offset by a sincere demand for the audience to love the characters).
½ March 16, 2016
Man, people are harsh critics. It's a goofy comedy for god's sake.
½ February 27, 2016
Absolutely horrible movie! I wish that I could forget watching it. Just disgusting.