Madeline - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Madeline Reviews

October 8, 2016
Definitely a kid film. Easy plot to follow, with nice enough everyone and most of the bad guys. Not sure about the nun thing but the plot used her powers of communication to get the bandits. The whole is rather light and sometimes comedic, with a nice heart. And some nicely placed french points. I wasn't bored and I didn't even roll my eyes at the simplicity. I rather found it cute and lovely and was never sure of the ending exactly.
½ August 21, 2016
An interesting attempt at the classic children's book series. The actress playing Madeline adds the right amount of spunk. Miss Clavel is wonderfully portrayed as well.
August 7, 2016
A great adaptation of the children's series. The actors do a fine job, the story is good, and it's an entertaining movie.
March 31, 2016
Though light years away from being in the same league as family classics "The Secret Garden" (1993) or "Fly Away Home" (1996), "Madeline" is a pretty solid, enjoyable effort. I'm confused, however, as to why everyone in the Old House, save the cook, is British instead of French-did the casting director not read the books? Play the games? See the animated specials?
March 20, 2016
Well ummm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is an enjoyable movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie........I think that frances mcdormand, hatty jones, nigel hawthorne (.R.I.P.), stephane audran, clare Thomas, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this kids/family/comedy movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....its an enjoyable childrens movie 2 watch......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.......

This film received mixed reviews upon release; it now has 64% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 28 reviews. On their TV show, Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert awarded the film with "Two Thumbs Up" (see photo of film). Nell Minow of Common Sense Media said that the movie was "great for young kids and fans of the books." AOL movie critic Brandon Judell said of it, "No horribly arch double entendres to draw in audiences who can't spend two hours in a theater without having their libido massaged." Jeffery Huston called it "a disarming, charming fable so artfully crafted that adults will fall under its spell." Conversely, John R. McEwen gave a negative review, stating that the movie was: "...Adequately simple for children, though perhaps a bit pedestrian for adults." A similarly negative review was given by Michael O'Sullivan of The Washington Post, stating that "their 8-year-old daughters will less likely be impressed by the meandering story, dull visuals and flat characterizations

Pepito didn't actually rode a Vespa in the film, but a French "Terrot" scooter model VMS.

Filmed in Paris in 1997, the story is set in 1956, rather than 1939.Many of the landmarks from the books appear in the film, although some were too crowded with modern traffic to be used. A relative newcomer, Hatty Jones was picked among thousands of applicants in a casting search, which was looking for the girl with "the right height and charm for the role".

The film's costume department went for some artistic licence in developing the costumes for Madeline. Aside from moving the time period to 1950s Paris, the producers elected for saturated blues and reds in the students' uniforms while keeping them as believable as possible; greys were immediately ruled out as "being depressing". Similar considerations were made for Frances McDormand's character, a novice nun who, according to research, would've worn a short black habit; a softer blue habit similar to the one worn by Miss Clavel in the books was used instead.

While largely based on the original series, with storylines from three of the picture books weaved into the plot, several liberties were taken with the characters' backstories, most notably Madeline who is depicted as an orphan in the film; the 1939 book explicitly states the dollhouse as coming from her Papa, and she is seen with her parents and two siblings in Madeline's Christmas

I think that this is such an enjoyable childrens movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie......
½ July 27, 2015
Mainly for children, this is a gentile enough story of an orphan with the various mischievous antics you expect from a group of children on a mission.
July 15, 2015
This was a pretty fun movie when I was a kid. That's due to the amount of care and precision that went into the making of Madeline. It's not some dumb slapstick kids movie that everyone in the 90's was making. It keeps in the tradition of the books, and paints a lovely picture of France. It's a gentle, kind movie.
½ March 22, 2015
Terrible movie, I like the book but the movie is just terrible. The franchise is ruined forever. Boring, just to long and boring.
½ March 21, 2015
Have never read the book and I have seen Madeline when I was in junior high and for me, it becomes part of my childhood memory. I love the fact that how naughty and clever Madeline is.
March 12, 2015
Another childhood favorite. I grew up reading the books and saw the movie as a kid and fell in love. Madeline is a movie I will share with my future children and hope they love as well. Very cute movie :)
January 19, 2015
for 1998:

a sweet and exhuberant film based on the series of best-selling books
basically it's a collection of all the stories about the Parisian schoolgirl from the new boy next door to the rescuing-dog to Lord Covington selling the school to having her appendix removed
amazingly enjoyable, warm, loving, and speedy
Madeline is an orphan but she will always have a home with Miss Clavel and her classmates
the popular character still stands the test of time and this film now brings it to life
January 7, 2015
When I was watching the film, it was bringing me memories when I used to watch the animated series when I was very little. It's a really good family film that follows the series really well, even having a heartening warmth that'd worked a little. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
July 23, 2014
Ce film est superbe! Je me souviens, à huit ans, dès que je le rendais a la bibliothèque, je le rà (C)empruntais! Si bien que personne d'autre ne la eu pendant une durà (C)e de 6 mois. Mais maintenant j'ai le film. Le jeu des des acteurs est très bon, on voit que le Geneviève a à (C)tà (C) très bien dressà (C)e, Madeline joue super mà (C)ga extra bien! La seule chose que j'ai a dire, c'est que vous devez ABSOLUMENT regarder ce magnifique long mà (C)trage des annà (C)es 90. Wow!
July 14, 2014
Hatty Jones is adorable as Madeline regardless of the fact that she doesn't look anything like the book character. The scenery is gorgeous. Beyond that, I was kind of bored. I really loved these books as a child, but this movie more or less misses the mark.
July 13, 2014
Sweet and lovely alternative to the sort of saccharine sweet treatment this could have received from Disney.
July 7, 2014
One of my mom and I's favorite movies
March 27, 2014
Cute movie based on the famous children's books. Little Hatty Jones was the perfect Madeline.
January 1, 2014
Love love love it! I'll never outgrow this.
December 28, 2013
Madeline is another movie that I certainly enjoyed more as a kid, but it still stands up pretty well today. It's nostalgic for me. (First viewing - Late childhood)