Murder by Numbers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Murder by Numbers Reviews

½ July 25, 2016
It's got a weird, seventeen-year-old philosophy underneath it that's naïve and possibly, albeit unintentionally, sexist. It also falls back on a number of storytelling tropes.
November 10, 2015
it really doesnt leave much to the imagination however it is well written and well acted yet you know who the killer is from the first minute.
October 30, 2015
It Has Some Edge Of Your Seat Thrill-Ride Bits But Once The Truth Is Revealled It Turns All A Bit Too Predictable. Sandra Is Beautiful..As Always & She Makes It Work. Go Girl!!
July 30, 2015
A good thriller that keeps you thinking throughout
½ June 22, 2015
I can't believe it took me this long to see it. Definitely worth watching. Better-than-average plot. Great cast.
½ June 15, 2015
Generic non thrilling thriller.
May 29, 2015
A normal thriller, nothing more nothing less.
May 17, 2015
A good thriller, but Sandra Bullock seemed wrong for this part.
April 9, 2015
Like it. Not a fast pace action packed film but made you have to use your brain a bit. Definetely a very entertaining murder/ suspense storyline.
April 2, 2015
A predictable ending meshes with the decent acting skills of all involved. If Sandra Bullock wasn't in it, it would have been a complete waste of time.
½ April 1, 2015
They're like orphans with credit cards.

Cassie Mayweather is a detective that has had a troubled past and too many abusive men cases to mentally handle. She has a hard time connecting with people, especially her new partner. When they are assigned a murder case that seems to revolve around some over privileged high school students, her department feels she cracked. Will she be able to solve the case, or is Cassie in the middle of a mental breakdown that will lead to her destroying this case before it begins?

"I've become too fond of my own ass to do something that stupid."

Barbet Schroeder, director of Barfly, Single White Female, Desperate Measure, Kiss of Death, Before and After, and the upcoming Amnesia, delivers Murder by Numbers. The storyline for this picture is very interesting, contains some unique elements, and unfolds very well. The acting in this movie was way better than I anticipated and the cast includes Sandra Bullock, Ryan Gosling, Michael Pitt, Ben Chaplin, Agnes Bruckner, and Chris Penn.

"What are you doing?"
"It's called sex. It's fun. You should try it."

I remember when this came out but had no idea Ryan Gosling and Michael Pitt (Boardwalk Empire) were in this picture. I found this on Netflix and made the previously referenced discovery regarding the cast and decided to give it a shot. Overall, this is an above average crime drama due to the great character development and portrayal. I recommend seeing this but likely wouldn't add it to my DVD collection.

"She pees standing up, that one."

Grade: B-
March 31, 2015
Very predictable but entertaining crime thriller. Bounces back and forth between trying to figure out who did it and finding more and more about who this tough detective with a story of her own is. I personally thought Ryan Gosling was outstanding, as it is rare that he isn't.
March 17, 2015
Murder by Numbers is a below average crime film that does things a little bit different. Right from the start you know who the killer is and throughout the movie it shows what Sandra Bullock and the cops are doing as well as Ryan Gosling and the other murderer. It is interesting at times but there isn't much suspense or mystery to it because you know who did it. The acting from Gosling was great, he played a crazy young kid very well while Bullock doesn't stand out much in her detective role. Toward the end it got a little faster paced and had a corny yet entertaining gun battle but overall there are plenty of better movies in this genre that are worth watching before this.
March 15, 2015
Liked this a lot.... wasn't a nail biter, but the crime was committed in a very methodical manner. Sandra Bllock's character also had some depth to it... BRAVO!!
January 16, 2015
Nothing special here.
January 9, 2015
Solid thriller with good performances by Sandra Bullock, Ryan Gosling, and Michael Pitt
November 21, 2014
Sandra Bullock always makes it look easy. One of Ryan Gosling's better acted movies.
½ September 2, 2014
A somewhat acceptable ending saves Murder By Numbers from being a total mess. But, it is still cliché and derivative; it's poorly executed, poorly edited, poorly written, and poorly directed. The idea and story are okay, but the movie as a whole sinks. It starts to get a little better in the second half, but nothing can stop it from being typical genre fare. The whole thing just seems amateurish.
½ August 25, 2014
Pretty good, not my Sandra's best
August 23, 2014
Very Hitchcokian in style but lacks a bit in substance. Fine acting all around keeps you interested up until the rather silly ending. It's fun to watch in order to see the roots of some of today's top young talent.