Murder by Numbers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Murder by Numbers Reviews

June 14, 2017
A modernized, fictional retelling of Leopold and Loeb- the wealthy youth who thought that with their intelligence they could pull off the "perfect crime". Good cast. Sandra Bullock was her typical beautiful / talented self, but also a bit mysterious in this one. The film was more of a character study than a thriller. Rating: 6/10
½ March 25, 2017
the most interesting of this movie its the story of her past when she was abussed. that its used as a crotch to "justify" sometimes the the detective crosses some lines in order to get the murders 1 a spoiled brad and the other a traumatized nerd. the rest of the movie its worst than a bad CSI episode.
½ March 23, 2017
This movie has 2 really good actors and 2 really bad actors. During the scenes with the two male murderers, Gosling and Pitt, I'm transfixed. Wow! Love it! However, during the scenes with Bullock and Chaplin, I'm wondering why the dialog is dull, why the story lacks substance, and why the movie sucks. Gosling and Pitt are amazing though.
August 1, 2016
Moviemaking by numbers is more the title that comes to mind for this routine B-movie esque thriller which offers little in the way of suspense and intrigue.
½ July 25, 2016
It's got a weird, seventeen-year-old philosophy underneath it that's naïve and possibly, albeit unintentionally, sexist. It also falls back on a number of storytelling tropes.
November 10, 2015
it really doesnt leave much to the imagination however it is well written and well acted yet you know who the killer is from the first minute.
October 30, 2015
It Has Some Edge Of Your Seat Thrill-Ride Bits But Once The Truth Is Revealled It Turns All A Bit Too Predictable. Sandra Is Beautiful..As Always & She Makes It Work. Go Girl!!
July 30, 2015
A good thriller that keeps you thinking throughout
½ June 22, 2015
I can't believe it took me this long to see it. Definitely worth watching. Better-than-average plot. Great cast.
½ June 15, 2015
Generic non thrilling thriller.
May 29, 2015
A normal thriller, nothing more nothing less.
May 17, 2015
A good thriller, but Sandra Bullock seemed wrong for this part.
April 9, 2015
Like it. Not a fast pace action packed film but made you have to use your brain a bit. Definetely a very entertaining murder/ suspense storyline.
April 2, 2015
A predictable ending meshes with the decent acting skills of all involved. If Sandra Bullock wasn't in it, it would have been a complete waste of time.
½ April 1, 2015
They're like orphans with credit cards.

Cassie Mayweather is a detective that has had a troubled past and too many abusive men cases to mentally handle. She has a hard time connecting with people, especially her new partner. When they are assigned a murder case that seems to revolve around some over privileged high school students, her department feels she cracked. Will she be able to solve the case, or is Cassie in the middle of a mental breakdown that will lead to her destroying this case before it begins?

"I've become too fond of my own ass to do something that stupid."

Barbet Schroeder, director of Barfly, Single White Female, Desperate Measure, Kiss of Death, Before and After, and the upcoming Amnesia, delivers Murder by Numbers. The storyline for this picture is very interesting, contains some unique elements, and unfolds very well. The acting in this movie was way better than I anticipated and the cast includes Sandra Bullock, Ryan Gosling, Michael Pitt, Ben Chaplin, Agnes Bruckner, and Chris Penn.

"What are you doing?"
"It's called sex. It's fun. You should try it."

I remember when this came out but had no idea Ryan Gosling and Michael Pitt (Boardwalk Empire) were in this picture. I found this on Netflix and made the previously referenced discovery regarding the cast and decided to give it a shot. Overall, this is an above average crime drama due to the great character development and portrayal. I recommend seeing this but likely wouldn't add it to my DVD collection.

"She pees standing up, that one."

Grade: B-
March 31, 2015
Very predictable but entertaining crime thriller. Bounces back and forth between trying to figure out who did it and finding more and more about who this tough detective with a story of her own is. I personally thought Ryan Gosling was outstanding, as it is rare that he isn't.
March 17, 2015
Murder by Numbers is a below average crime film that does things a little bit different. Right from the start you know who the killer is and throughout the movie it shows what Sandra Bullock and the cops are doing as well as Ryan Gosling and the other murderer. It is interesting at times but there isn't much suspense or mystery to it because you know who did it. The acting from Gosling was great, he played a crazy young kid very well while Bullock doesn't stand out much in her detective role. Toward the end it got a little faster paced and had a corny yet entertaining gun battle but overall there are plenty of better movies in this genre that are worth watching before this.
March 15, 2015
Liked this a lot.... wasn't a nail biter, but the crime was committed in a very methodical manner. Sandra Bllock's character also had some depth to it... BRAVO!!
January 16, 2015
Nothing special here.
January 9, 2015
Solid thriller with good performances by Sandra Bullock, Ryan Gosling, and Michael Pitt