16 Blocks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

16 Blocks Reviews

October 4, 2016
A fairly mundane outing. Nothing special.
September 1, 2016
Kind of like Die Hard but with a lower budget. I'd watch it again.

Very good. Intense.

An old cop is charged with getting a convict witness to court but his own police friends are are against him.
July 29, 2016
A very gripping entertaining thriller that has a plot that's been used a few times but adds its own twist to it, Some great performances apart from Mos Def who for some reason sounds like he's brain damaged which ruined allot of the films main scenes, Some nice twists and turns and very cleverly wrote even if it feels gritty and clunky sometimes, It's not quite edge of your seat stuff but it's great entertainment and well done.
July 27, 2016
Bruce Willis stars in this middle of the road action thriller, with some OK direction, a default story, but an excellent performance by Willis. That being said, Yasiin Bey is absolutely UNBEARABLE in this movie. Holy crap is his performance bad.
July 15, 2016
2016-07-15 Bruce was way better than I expected. Mos Def, kind of annoying.
June 22, 2016
Richard Donner and Bruce Willis have done much better work than what this movie offers. Mos Def is mos annoying.
½ June 21, 2016
Not a Richard Donner fan but I think this is the best movie he ever made. Solid, funny and with a good a message.
May 27, 2016
Wow! If you want to watch a thriller about how police corruption can ruin innocent people's lives and how criminals can change their lives this is a great film. Bruce Willis shows he can adapt to any acting style and can play any character. Mos Def is great in this also. He shows his versatility in the entertainment world.
½ April 19, 2016
There are many people who like to say that Bruce Willis has given up and just shows up in films for the pay checks without trying nowadays. I think 16 Blocks makes a decent case to the contrary because he keeps this movie going when the story absolutely falls apart. Now, to be fair, this is a very familiar role for Willis. Once again he plays a washed-up alcoholic police officer who gets himself in deeper than expected. In this movie the dilemma is that he is transporting a federal witness 16 blocks away to the courthouse, but the people he will testify against know he's coming and will try to kill him on the way. The movie is very choppy and disjointed because they keep going into a safe place, getting found, and then running until they can find a safe spot again. There is no natural flow or rhythm to the story, and it seems like things keep happening strictly because the movie needs them to happen. I like some of the revelations that are given along the way, and when there is an action sequence I think they are filmed well. Perhaps my #1 biggest pet peeve with this movie is the painfully bad voice that Mos Def decides to give his character. I don't understand why he felt the need to add that to his performance, but it is like nails on a chalkboard to me. He sounds like someone making a very insensitive imitation of a deaf person's speech pattern. There are elements I like in 16 Blocks, but sadly it didn't have enough of those elements to rise above the average action film.
April 17, 2016
This movie was much better than I anticipated. There is good acting from the main actors. Mos Def's voice gets a little irritating, but he delivers some good acting. The story went in unexpected directions. I thought I new what was going to happen, but I was pleasantly surprised. The movie has a good amount of action, but it is not extremely over the top like some movies.
The movie does kind of drag in some places.
The movie does have an inspirational message at the end, which can apply to almost anyone's life. I enjoyed this movie. It was not as big and flashy as AAA big summer blockbuster, but I enjoyed the story, acting, action, and inspirational message.
April 13, 2016
Donner fantastic Direction,Bruce Wills fair play - role was perfect for him great casting, Mos Def for a role that wills wanted ludacris for; was magic. That accent he used was pretty annoying but played well for the character. 4 stars well deserved
April 12, 2016
Wow, I kept this movie, and kept forgetting what it was about, if it was good or not. Hands down a solid Bruce Willis movie, and once you get used to Mos Def's nasal whine it becomes rather endearing. A little disjointed, but you feel hot and tired watching it, so they did a good job there. I think it wraps up rather neatly. And isn't even too sad.
½ April 10, 2016
This should have worked as a simple concept thriller but it's just so predictable, which is the result of a screenplay that's way too neat and tidy.
½ April 9, 2016
So Mos, we want you to sound like your mouth is numb for 90 mins. Annoying? What are you talking about? No, seriously- people will think its a great character choice. Trust me.
March 15, 2016
loved this movie... for no particular reason, besides great performances, good cinematography, good production design, decent story (though not very plausible), and overall extremely entertaining.
½ January 29, 2016
"FAR-FETCHED | THRILLING | WILD" (82-out-of-100)
November 6, 2015
This was an enjoyable movie to watch. It has action and corruption. Shove Bruce Willis in the middle and its becomes a fun movie.
½ October 12, 2015
A perpetually hung over burned out detective turns his life around saving a two bit punk for a Grand Jury investigating police corruption & in the process turns the withess' life around by risking then giving his life to do so.
October 11, 2015
Alot of good moments in this. The kill outside the office is quality. However, Mos Def ruins this. One annoying cunt who really needs to blow his nose. The ending is so cringey I nearly coughed up a lung.
½ September 17, 2015
Seen this type of thriller before from Willis done better and done worse.....very tired.