84 Charing Cross Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

84 Charing Cross Road Reviews

½ July 2, 2016
A wonderful movie about a by-gone time and the art of letter writing.
November 25, 2015
Anyone who fails to cry in sheer sentiment during this movie has no heart at all.
June 24, 2015
A delightful film based on the book contains the actual correspondence between Helene Hanff and Frank Doel and the friendship they shared over books.
½ January 20, 2015
Sencilla y nostÓlgica pelýcula sobre personajes generosos y amantes de la literatura.Curioso ver a Judi Dench.
September 10, 2014
I have a fondness for movies like this. They are quiet and unobtrusive. There is little conflict or drama, but they still tell a story about people and draw you in as you do so.
½ August 1, 2014
Although only a palid reflect of reading the letters by yourself (that is why is close to 2.5), just talking about this story is worth enough (that is why is close to 3)
May 21, 2014
I've seen this movie many times and I still absolutely love it.
½ May 19, 2014
I loved it! The writing and acting were superb. The relationships between all the characters were real life and give you a renewed hope for humanity.
½ February 15, 2014
½ November 25, 2013
A wonderfully engrossing tale, full of wit and liveliness from both of its incredible leads.
½ July 4, 2013
Minimalism done right, '84 Charing Cross Road' is a truly charming film, loaded to the brim with endearing and charming performances from a veteran cast, especially the two leads who enjoy rock solid chemistry despite never outright sharing a scene, dialogue that is both witty yet believable and human in equal measure, and a dose of cultural contrast between American and British idiosyncrasies and mannerisms that lead to some hearty chuckles.
May 2, 2013
This is one of my very favorite movies. I have a digital copy and watch it frequently. It's such a bitter sweet story of unrealized love. Plus Anne Bancroft, Sir Anthony Hopkins, and Dame Judi Dench star in this great film. The story takes place starting in the days just following WWII and follows a trans-Atlantic love via correspondence between a Londoner, and a New Yorker. There's no one inexplicably naked and nothing explodes. And they manage to tell the entire story without using CGI. It's charming. I give it my highest rating and endorsement.
½ January 2, 2013
A sweet and sentimental film about a correspondence that grows into a life long friendship. Wonderfully filmed, it's nostalgic and sad, but the kind of sad that makes you feel good inside.
October 1, 2012
I enjoyed this film immensely. I do have a soft spot for epistolary novels so this was a perfect correlation.
½ June 9, 2012
Slow, plot-less, with no discernible direction. Not terrible, but definitely lacking. Cute in a nostalgic way, but not much other appeal.
March 25, 2012
Some 25 years later still one of the most unusual, romantic, under-stated, positive, heart-warming, and melancholy films. You don't see anything like this at any time. The casting is perfect, especially Anthony Hopkins. This is a film that will forever stay close to hearts of many, many adoring fans.
December 17, 2011
It's pretty hard to not like this film. The story is so sweet and the performances are so endearing. If you're not a fan of narration then you should probably skip out on this, i'd say 80% of it is told in narration. Anne Bancroft is very good and Anthony Hopkins is outstanding. They have a few scenes where Bancroft talks directly to the camera and it doesn't work at all. But that is a minor problem in a very sweet movie.
October 12, 2011
.. ?? 84 Charing Cross Road ?????????? ???? ???????????? ?????? ??? ?????????? ??? ??? ???? ??? ????? ? ????? ????????? ???? ????????????? ??? ??????? ?? ??????????? ??? ????????? ??????? ???????? ???? ??? ????? ????..??????????? ?? ????????, ????? (??? ? ?? ???????? ?????????????) ????????? ?? Hopkins ? Anne Bancroft ''???????????'' ??? ??????? ??? ?????? (???? 50s ??? ????? 70s) ????? ?? ????????????? ???? ?? ??? ??????????? ?????? ??? ? ??? ??????????? ???????????? ??????..
½ July 14, 2011
If you don't like british literature/films this will be boring as hell and slightly depressing..your warned. Still a great film if you don't mind a slow one with excellent performances.
½ March 20, 2011
An excellent movie, with 4 Oscar winners, and a great screen play. This film illustrates the power of the written word, books and letters...perhaps more poignant in today's electronic age than it was in 1986. Book lovers and fans of great performances will enjoy this platonic, long distance relationship, spanning 40 years. An added benefit: Great supporting parts featuring Ian McNeice and Connie Booth (of Monty Python fame).