84 Charing Cross Road Reviews

• Feb 05, 2021

this is you've got mail but with letters & literature fans (oh wait, that was in you've got mail too lol oops), also we get to see what the heck judi dench looks like with long hair so I'm happy

• Jan 22, 2021

Good premise, just not a delivery that I enjoyed. Saw it on TCM.

Good premise, just not a delivery that I enjoyed. Saw it on TCM.

• Aug 24, 2020

A wonderful story and wonderful performances by the main cast. Just love it.

A wonderful story and wonderful performances by the main cast. Just love it.

• Aug 01, 2020

A wonderful film of a wonderful book. Superbly cast, evocative of a different time and a different pace. I wish I knew Helene Hanff or at least Anne Bancroft's version.

• Jul 05, 2020

Lovely movie. One of my favorites. Interesting to note the post-war years in the bustling prosperous USA and the slowly recovery England.

• Feb 19, 2020

Book lovers movie definitely. Real tear-jerker at the end, too.

Book lovers movie definitely. Real tear-jerker at the end, too.

• Jul 13, 2019

Not sure breaking the fourth wall at the end was necessary but this film entertains.

• Jun 16, 2019

This was a charming movie. Truly proves that older movies can stand the test of time. Anthony brilliantly portrays a disciplined and responsible bookshop manager while Anne Bancroft exudes a hard-headed writer. The contrast of the two characters meets at a juncture of respect and fondness for books. Through the maturation of these two characters friendship, the audience is eloquently taken on a cinematic journey of time. We learn at the end of this film that life is in the backdrop of genuine friendship and that sometimes the former gets in the way of the latter.

• Oct 03, 2018

The great love for the books

The great love for the books

• Jan 16, 2017

Finally caught up with this one, shown over Christmas on TV. Pretty good in a 1980s kind of way. Dated, genteel, and touching.