Acolytes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Acolytes Reviews

December 31, 2015
A great serial killer thriller.
August 12, 2015
The bleak suburban setting and the mischievous, if somewhat downbeat adolescent lead characters recall Gus Van Sant's oeuvre, though Hewitt doesn't achieve anywhere near the same degree of nuance.
July 1, 2014
A clever little plot twist in the third act spices up the film. Tonally consistent throughout but lacking in momentum in stretches and overuse of the cheap jump cut horror trick
½ June 24, 2014
Pubertos, hormonas, chantaje y un asesino WCM, en resumen
es lo que te encuentras en Acolytes (2008), un filme ingles
de terror acerca de 3 chavitos que presencian un crimen y
luego tratan de extorsionar al criminal.
Esta bueenaa con excepcion de esos ruiditos ultra agudos
que metian en algunas escenas, supongo para incomodar a la
audiencia de acuerdo a lo que sentia la victima en el momento.
SOURCE: Acolytes.2008.DVDRiP.XViD-FiCO
January 4, 2014
Fascinating, all be it I really didn't get the connection between the characters!
½ December 7, 2013
Quite a slow and boring movie.
October 31, 2013
Acolytes is a disturbing, but flat thriller from director Jon Hewitt. The primary reason I watched this movie is because I'm a huge fan of Joel Edgerton. The plot of this movie is really unfocused: at times, it wants to be a murder mystery involving the disappearance of a dead girl, other times it wants to be a revenge movie where the 3 main leads want to get revenge on the person who bullied them in the past, and other times it just wants to be straight-up horror. Unfortunately, the movie is too messy and staggeringly uneven to mesh all those elements properly and efficiently, leaving the audience confused. Not only is the audience confused, they are also uninterested because none of the paths the film take are fully developed and you honestly don't care one bit what happens to the 3 leads because they aren't likable in slightest. Especially the blonde haired one, he's a complete asshole. Speaking of the 3 leads, their acting isn't the greatest, although the girl does a fine job with what she's given from this unfocused script. The movie does kind of get interesting for a 25 minute stretch in the middle when the 3 leads get in contact with Joel Edgerton (who plays a serial killer). During this time, you're genuinely intrigued by where the story is going to go. Unfortunately, the story takes a nosedive to a very implausible and needlessly stupid ending.
The movie does have some gorgeous outdoor shots when they're in the forest though, and Joel Edgerton gives a creepy performance. Be warned though, the movie is extremely slow until the halfway point, then it picks up slightly but it still ends up being kinda slow and boring. There are also some disturbing imagery and some shocking elements which gives the movie a few extra points. Unfortunately, that isn't enough to warrant a recommendation.
I give this movie a (4/10)
½ October 21, 2013
Despite some flaws, Acolytes dares to be a different kid of killer movie. Great direction and acting.
October 4, 2013
another of my fav thriller & Edgerton films! all around fantastic movie! X
½ September 28, 2013
This was a very good Australian thriller. Lately I've been watching many Australian horror movies, but most of the weren't very good. The acting was was excellent from all the actors, but mainly from the three young protagonist who delivered great performances and also from Joel Edgerton. The characters were sometimes very hard to watch because of the way the acted and behaved, because everyone was an antagonist in their own way. The story was good, and even though it was a little messy and confusing, the final act of the movie was full of suspense and a lot of tension. It really surprised and exceeded my expectations.
½ September 28, 2013
Initially promising but it unraveled, without telling us anything. For a brief moment, I thought it would be the next Brick.
½ August 22, 2013
Never try to blackmail a serial killer--A brilliant idea, poorly executed!!
September 29, 2012
Acolytes started off great. It was dark, twisted, with very interesting characters. But sadly it just falls apart and any tension built up just disappeared. The ending was so inconsequential because of that.

That aside, the acting was pretty good overall. Edgerton was really creepy, as was Dorman.
August 26, 2012
I loved the cast and the cinematography, and the story really intrigued me for the first half of the film. The second half wasn't bad, but it was just a reminder of why horror is my least favorite movie genre.
½ August 13, 2012
The performances from the young cast are a tad bland, but director Jon Hewitt infuses his low-budget genre jolter with just enough menace as it powers towards an effective, if predictable, climax. Rather impressive aussie thriller,I say SEE IT!!!
August 1, 2012
this film was so interesting...right up until the very end. what a disappointing last 30 minutes.
½ June 29, 2012
Not bad at all! ending could of been better! well done for a teen horror! not Nias of course! its an Aussie picture
themoviewaffler.com
April 30, 2012
I was totally engrossed by the first hour of this Aussie thriller before it sadly ran out of ideas. Director Jon Hewitt creates some brilliant atmosphere while cinematographer Mark Pugh puts together stunning compositions. The most obvious influence is Tarkovsky, especially in an elaborate homage to the kiss over a ditch in "Ivan's Childhood".
Joel Edgerton is great as the moustachioed serial killer blackmailed by teenagers out of their depth.
For fans of brooding atmosphere only.
March 25, 2012
The cinematography was outstanding. Twisted movie. Loved it.