American Flyers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Flyers Reviews

July 22, 2016
American Flyers, to me, is a great movie that details what it is like to have a brother you compete both against and with in athletic endeavors. It also show family is a very important part of your life, both the good and bad.
July 18, 2016
Second best cycling drama after Breaking away.
May 16, 2016
This movie is one of my favorites is inspirational if you don''t know anything about it is better to get into the plot. I enjoy cycling and this movie get me into the training mode. I like the scenery I is too bad they haven't remastered it for HD quality this would truly in today standard will make it more enjoyable. We are now spoiled with Bluray when this happens this will bring more fans to watch it

I think this is an instant c
March 24, 2015
Cliche yes but you feel for these characters.
October 7, 2014
This is really enjoyable, it's not quite on the level of 'Breaking Away' but then really that film is some benchmark. This is an enjoyable 80's sports film, with Costner helping nourish my love for him and some pretty accurate cycle race sections. Great fun, albeit with a pretty big lump of cheese.
½ March 2, 2014
One of Costner's first roles, very good film. The Race scenes are still great.
½ December 22, 2013
American Flyers est un simple film de sport aux ressorts ecules, a la musique tres datee et au Kevin Costner encore inconnu et moustachu. Cependant, il traite du cyclisme, ce qui en fait un film plutot rare et ses scenes de course sont tres bien filmees par John Badham, coutumier du fait. Les autres acteurs (David Grant, Rae Dawn Chong ou encore Luca Bercovici) sont tout aussi bons. Un film bien sympathique a defaut d'etre original.
August 4, 2013
Was one of my favorite bike movies as a kid. Still enjoy watching this one. Funny now to watch it and see all the Panavision cameras during the race scenes, average person would probably not pick out all the film production equipment and cameras being used during the Coors Classic race.
May 4, 2013
Okay movie about bicycling. Basically two brothers bond over a bike race after one is cleared from a disease he think's he has passed down from his father.

There is a pretty obvious twist to the story the becomes clear to the viewer quite early in the film. And I was kind of shocked there was very little drama played off this. In fact, this film is really clear of any drama or heart, and maybe that is why it was just okay?

The cinematography and footage of the bike race is fantastic. Makes you feel like you are right in the race.

The cast is fine, but Alexandra Paul really shines here. She is cute and super adorable. She plays the perfect woman...down to wanting a Quarter Pounder With Cheese! Real women actually eat ladies!!! :)

Jennifer Grey has a nice bit part as well.

I just wish some of the heart of this film would've been worked on some. It could have been something, but the movie just ends and you don't really care much, cause the only thing it did was make the racing scenes look cool.
½ January 22, 2013
MEDIOCRITY but pretty damn good mediocrity, overall.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
October 6, 2012
VHS, Bicycling movie set in Colorado, the scenery is lovely
½ September 2, 2012
This one is overlooked but still one of my favorites. It's one of Kevin Costner's earlier films but he shows blatant talent. A little predictable yet you'll still find yourself jumping at the TV. I don't want to spoil it too much either but everyone loves an under dog movie too..........
½ May 30, 2012
This movie was a lot better than it should have been. Costner as the sick and dying brother does a good job here.
April 18, 2012
Could have been a decent ride, if they had just stuck to the competition - but they felt the need to throw in a sub-plot. So, 'American Flyers' just ends up being another half-assed tearjerker, right down to its Rocky-esque theme song, with below average performances, even by Costner, who just simply isn't the kind of lead to pull off a sympathetic character.
April 7, 2012
Some of the humor might be less appreciated by non-cyclists
½ April 6, 2012
Aside from the gay 80's music and Kevin Costner's mustache, this was a really good movie.
August 26, 2011
Best cycling movie ever!
½ August 14, 2011
4.6 stars. This is an early Costner film -- probably the first one I remember seeing him in. It was pretty good and it had a solid cast for back in the day.
½ March 20, 2011
Just promise me Costner will never sport that stache ever again. Thanks