Arthur Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arthur Christmas Reviews

January 13, 2017
One of the best christmas movies I have seen.
January 12, 2017
This is a refreshing addition to the Santa mythos containing both solid entertainment and genuine heart.
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 29, 2016
Really original and lovely!
December 29, 2016
Santa misses one child on Christmas, and his son damn-near throws the world into chaos to see that she gets her present. See this movie right now! The creators of Wallace & Gromit will make you fall in love with Santa Clause all over again.
½ December 25, 2016
Arthur Christmas (2011) is a hidden gem in the realm of Christmas Classics. While it was a success with critics when it first came out, it was still a box office bomb because it was in competition with other movies that came out around the same time. Not only did I think this movie was great, but it might as well be one of the smartest Christmas movies that i've ever scene. It takes what looks like a unfitting concept and gives it a whole new meaning. The strength of the movie comes from the characters and the message. I love all the characters and how almost each of them has an identifiable purpose. No one is right or wrong about anything they all have reasons of why they act a certain way. There seem to be different generations of Santa's they are Santa, Grand Santa and Steve. they all come from a different background and each of them have a different view on how Christmas functions. This makes for great conflict and you do feel the pain for those characters especially for Grand Santa who just wants Christmas to function like in the good old days. Then there's Arthur himself, He is very jolly in christmas spirit but is also kinda clumsy. He is the heart of the movie and despite his clumsiness he still knows how to follow his heart and he'll do anything he can to accomplish his goal even if it means facing his fears. The last character to mention is a wrapping elf named Bryony she basically helps Arthur and Grand Santa along the journey. I love how she gets action packed with her wrapping skills and she does serve as a purpose to be a character that Grand Santa questions because of how she uses updated Technology. Of course this movie is loaded with Christmas spirit and fast paced action but it smartly executes very serious well thought out moments. These moments are so strong that it almost feels like i'm watching a Pixar movie in disguise. Like I said before, The message is one of the strongest parts of the film and it really gives a deeper meaning to what the true meaning of Christmas is really about. It was very surprising to see that the British Stop Motion Animation studio "Aardman" did this animation because it looks amazing. The background environments are huge and immersive and the characters despite their small looking eyes, still look appealing and each design matched the character's personality to a tee. The music score is action packed but also mellow and slow when it needs to be. It finds the right balance and it keeps the movie in focus whenever the pacing becomes really fast or very slow. I wasn't so sure if having a story about the technological advances of the Santa operation would really work but thanks to it's great characters and impressive world building, I can surely tell you that it's an animated Christmas flick that is absolutely full of Holly Jolly Greatness. (A)
December 25, 2016
A wonderfully inventive Christmas movie for all ages.
½ December 24, 2016
It's pretty stock standard post-industrial Christmas stuff, even rehashing aspects of other offbeat animated Christmas tales (particularly the climax of The Nightmare Before Christmas), but the humor is clever generally. At least it's better than 99% of the Christmas films put out (not that there's much contest, let's be honest here).
December 23, 2016
A new classic of season.
½ December 23, 2016
What a great Christmas movie! Not only was it entertaining from the beginning to the end, it captured the meaning of Christmas perfectly. All the character, athough flawed, are very likeably, the humour is on point, it is incredibly fast-paced and the animation is gorgeous. It wil definitely be a must-watch for me every year at Christmas time.
December 20, 2016
This move shows the true meaning of Christmas go and watch it now:{)
December 18, 2016
Quite an adorable movie. Has a lot of laughs and was fun for kids and adults alike. The ending is kind of what you'd expect but they doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the film at all.
December 12, 2016
Bizarre high praise for this Aardman effort, it has no chance of making a regular yuletide appearance at our house I'm afraid. It's a bit too long and fails really to be either funny enough or sentimental enough. Felix was bored and asked me a couple of times it it had 'nearly finished'. It's no 'Polar Express', sorry!
December 5, 2016
This Christmas movie was ok.
½ December 4, 2016
A wonderful Christmas movie.
½ December 2, 2016
Tired of the usual family Christmas junk? This one is fun and clever. It had me and my kids in stitches. Highly recommended!
October 23, 2016
Awesome movie, no matter what time of year.
October 17, 2016
Good film , nice animation and a funny script. Overall it has a creative , heartwarming narrative unlike any other christmas movie.
August 31, 2016
One of the best Christmas movies ever.
½ August 16, 2016
As I've done before, I'll start with the cons: Quite frankly, there aren't many. The film does take a moment to engross you in this particular Christmas world, but once you're in, you're in to stay. Also, like a lot of against-all-odds stories, it seems like main character Arthur can't seem to catch a break which really drove me crazy at times. It's like watching the Trix rabbit get rejected over and over and over...If you can get through this, you're definitely in for a treat.

Let's face it, Christmas movies have been done and redone, particularly those regarding Jolly Old St. Nick. It's refreshing to see one so original as this. I don't want to give away too much and spoil the magic of watching it firsthand, but watch the first scene and see if it doesn't put a smile on your face. As the years have passed and technology has advanced, so apparently has the help provided to Santa. Elves fly around looking like they're on the Mission: Impossible team with the perfect computer gadgets to ensure all the kids get what they ask for without actually seeing Santa himself. And that's only the beginning.

While the film packs a great comedic punch, it packs even more heart. If you're not rooting for young Arthur to succeed in delivering the one present that Santa missed, something is wrong with you. A number of smaller stories combine to tell that of the entire Claus family and what Christmas means to each of them separately.

Our family is currently watching twenty-five movies leading up to Christmas Day and this just happened to be one my son picked out. So glad he did. It's the story of a man who goes to great lengths to reinforce the spirit of Christmas. I give this movie a 98.