Ben - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ben Reviews

½ February 2, 2016
If there is something more discomforting than Willard befriending rats is seeing a sweet sick kid developing a touching relationship with his little friend Ben the disgusting intelligent rat, which is what makes this trashy B movie creepier than the first movie, especially with that song.
½ April 24, 2015
ok sequel of sorts to 'willard'
October 25, 2013
It's ben so long since i seen this movie
January 17, 2013
Poorly made sequel to the original Willard. Lots of unintentional laughs. Was nominated for an Oscar!!
October 4, 2012
This is supposed to be a creepy movie, but it's more funny than creepy. Plus, I really felt for the poor little boy who had no friends, it made Ben not seem as threatening as people think he is in the movie. When the police get involved in the end, it's also pretty funny. I had mixed feelings on this movie, but it was okay.
½ May 19, 2012
When you listen to Jackson's lilting lament to poor Ben I think few realize it's a child's song to his mutant, possibly psychic, intelligent, homicidal rat overlord. Ben is a sequel to Willard and sees a child befriend the menace that is Ben and become his protector. The movie is rather good for 70's animal horror and the use of rats is pretty believable and lacks the usual 'stuffed stand-in' that flattens the impact of most such flicks. Lacking any really epic scenes the plot does roll by and feels in many ways the middle of a trilogy that would not get completed.
sergioogarcia
June 23, 2011
I haven't seen this movie in at least 20 years. But I still remember the evil man-killer rat!
May 3, 2011
Kids 'horror' (though not really) film about a boy and his rat. The Jackson 5 song comes from this..........its not great though.
February 24, 2010
The whole thing between Ben and Danny is quite sweet and the movie is nice. However, it's hardly comparable to "Willard" which was a drama developing into a horrer, while "Ben" features the rats befriending a little boy who help him with his school bullies etc.
Eventually, however, when the Rats become violent (like in "Willard"), the Rats are quite easily killed by police, unlike in "Willard", in which they win over the humans.
I certainly wish the film paid more attention to the horrer of the rats, rather than Ben and Danny snuggling in bed.

The movie still is certainly a good watch and if you like "Willard", you may like this film, depending on your range of taste.

Considering "Willard" was re-made in 2003, they should also re-make this forgotten sequel. Add more terror and suspense, cut down on the sweetness, and remake it with the same qualities of the "Willard" remake; I'd give it 100%
½ October 10, 2009
A good follow up to the more scary Willard, this one is oddly sweet. A plot about a kid befriending a killer rat could make for a dire film, but the kid isn't annoying so it all works well enough.
October 1, 2009
Such a weird movie. It is the touching story of a boy with a heart condition and his killer rat Ben. The events of Ben start up immediately after Willard (hence the tagline Where Willard ends, Ben begins) and the story of the boy having a rat as his only friend is contrasted with Willard's rats rampaging through the city and killing whoever they encounter. Is it a drama? A horror movie? It is too ridiculous to be either but there is something half-way watchable about it. It is also fun to see Meredith Baxter as his teenage sister that connects more to the boy than his mother. It is really strange to think that any nominations came out of this movie but "Ben" by Michael Jackson was nominated for an Academy Award. It however was beaten by "The Morning After" from the Poseidon Adventure.
January 16, 2009
My favourite movie of all time, made me get a pet rat (named Ben obviously) and then a tattoo!
November 29, 2008
I think this was on TV at midnight at every single slumber party I attended as a elementary schooler. I have not seen it since puberty, but remember how creepy scary it was. I think this movie may be the reason that my first two pets were rats.
September 28, 2008
i want 2 c this film
September 2, 2008
sequel to willard gotta like smartie old ben. this is where michael j becomes weird
July 9, 2008
this looks good i wouldnt mind seeing it
June 24, 2008
A classic. Loved these rat movies as a kid. Perhaps I'll re-visit them some day soon. Check out the OLD Willard.
May 18, 2008
that is my brothers name lolll
May 16, 2008
The world needs more feel-good rodent themed movies.