Born Free Reviews

• Jan 27, 2019

The best movie song ever sung: the title song! And the best movie score ever composed!

• Nov 17, 2018

Born Free is emotional, full of heart, gorgeous, and has great acting throughout. A classic that should be talked about more and one that should be recognized more.

• Oct 14, 2018

It brought years to my eyes. This is a very emotional movie but I recommend this to anyone who reads this

• Jul 10, 2018

I was 16 when the movie was made. At the time living in the USA. Now I'm 68, living in S. Africa. The message of this movie is as timely then as it is now.

• Mar 10, 2018

Wonderfully sweet and emotional George and Joy Adamson are game wardens in northern Kenya. They take in and raise three orphaned lion cubs. Once the lions grow up, two are sent to a zoo but the smallest, Elsa, has a special place in Joy's heart and remains in their care. This course of action will ultimately lead to some tough decisions on their part. Wonderfully sweet and emotional movie, based on a true story. Very engaging, as you are taken on the journey involving the Adamsons and Elsa. Some great sentimental, heart-warming moments and some funny ones too. Besides, what's not to like about kitty cats, albeit massive ones?! Well filmed, with some great scenery and wildlife scenes. Solid performances by Virginia McKenna and Bill Travers in the lead (human) roles. The animal actors are very good too!

• Mar 30, 2017

Great movie. Holds up well. Performances are natural and endearing. Song is great. But the Oscar for score mystifies me. Most of the score is repeated variations on the theme song. Over and over and over. That it won score over The Sand Pebbles is nuts.

• Oct 07, 2016

A bit simple, but prolly good for the whole family.

A bit simple, but prolly good for the whole family.

• Aug 04, 2016

We want them to be an angel, but being wild is what defines them. I thought I dreamt about these lions when I was a kid, but when I came to know about this film that made me realise I actually saw this film when I was a very young to remember anything. It was a few images remained in memory, that's how I tracked it. So while watching this now brought back those scary moments. Yep, I was scared like hell, like the character Kendall from it was. Childhood is like a dream, until we re-encounter those things we held, met, seen, which wakes up our memory after a long time and becoming adults. I really enjoyed watching it, because I love animals. But what I did not like was harming the animals. I don't think animals were harmed while making this film, and they even smartly censored story/scene that consists harming/killing them. Actually the film was inspired by the real story, in that, the animals were killed and that is what this film depicted, yet disappoints from that perspective. The time has changed, now it is different, we learnt our lesson, so I hope we focus on protecting this magnificent animal to be born free and to be wild. The Africa was very beautifully portrayed. One of the best films on the wild animal theme I've ever seen. It was a documentary style narration with a little story from the human couple. Hats off to the real Joy and George Adamson. It won a couple of Oscars in the category of music and song. But I think it deserved more than that. I can't believe it is rated PG, but I scared watching it as a kid and I believe the young children with the awareness of the true nature of the lions would do the same. But still highly recommended for all ages. We have now 'Duma', 'Two Brothers' and many more, but this film is something special and you will know it after a watch. 8/10

• May 14, 2016

Other than a lovely theme song and some quality African wildlife footage there isn't a lot to Born Free. It's an OK film, but I expected better and probably wouldn't watch it again. (First and only viewing - 6/24/2016)

• Oct 02, 2015

I cried when I watched this movie. I'm going through male menopause.

I cried when I watched this movie. I'm going through male menopause.