The Bourne Identity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Identity Reviews

January 21, 2018
Still one of my favourite movies of all time. Top notch stuff.
January 7, 2018
Bourne Identity introduces the Bourne story so we don't get many answers in the first film about what the movie is about but it is a well put together action movie that works is fun and entertaining.
December 29, 2017
A well-structured, exciting story as you would expect from a high standard spy movie, coupled with gorgeous performance from Matt Damon.
December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Es inteligente e intrigante, con la acción justa y buenas escenas de espionaje; pero a mi gusto le faltó mucha mas (o mejor) acción, sin contar algunos estereotipos en este film.
November 12, 2017
A good action filled mystery.
½ November 12, 2017
Having read the books it used to really irk me how this film completely takes the concept of the book and changes the story. However sitting down to watch this fully I actually quite enjoyed it as it's own thing. I didn't really like this version of Marie but Matt Damon is great as Bourne.
October 19, 2017
It has a brisk pace and some of the action scenes are well-done, but The Bourne Identity suffers from a mostly predictable plot, a lack of character development, and disorienting action scenes that are impossible to follow.
September 13, 2017
The Bourne identity is a great action thriller and gives a great performance by Matt Damon! The story of a man with amnesia trying to figure out who he was is really intriguing and exciting. You're always wondering what's going to happen next and it's a film I recommend.
½ August 19, 2017
Like the first Mission: Impossible movie, The Bourne Identity introduces the world to a new badass spy, this time one with amnesia. Doug Liman's direction is superb, and Matt Damon makes audience everywhere think "Damn, that kid from Good Will Hunting can kick a lot of ass!" The acting is great, the script is expertly written, and the action is amazing, especially the fight in Bourne's house, where he uses a PEN as a weapon.
June 30, 2017
Bourne Identity does a great job of being a sleek action thriller with an attention-gripping plot that follows through on gasp-worthy moments of intensity and characters that are performed rather well.
June 26, 2017
Very different take on a spy movie and it's great. Matt Damon is excellent as Jason Bourne. Jason Bourne is probably one of the most interesting character I have seen in a movie.

8.3/10
June 20, 2017
This great action movie is Directed by Doug Liman who was not an action director and Matt Damon was perfectly cast as Jason Bourne. This movie also has a great story. The only real flaws this movie has is some of the line delivery is off and the action isn't as smooth as it becomes in the later films, but it is still a really good movie!
½ June 16, 2017
Though it occasionally meanders into familiar territory, thrilling action sequences (for me, the car chase served as the highlight of the movie) and a good mix of suspense and drama are what make The Bourne Identity a film which stands out from the crowd of spy movies. Matt Damon pulls off such a great performance that you could say that he was BOURNE to play the role. Get it? *crickets chirp* I'll let myself out :(. There's still no denying that he's excellent in the role and shows that he could be one of this century's most amazing action stars alongside Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and Vin Diesel. Bravo, Doug Liman. Bravo.
June 11, 2017
Start of a great action-suspense series!
June 10, 2017
This is the best action espionage film since the original 007. Where modern James Bond movies leaned too heavily on cars and technology, this film brought back the creativity and ingenuity of a spy. It is thrilling to watch how Bourne finds his way out of precarious situations.
June 5, 2017
I quite enjoyed that! Took me a while to see it, though! Likable characters, fun action scenes, good times!
June 1, 2017
The Bourne Identity is a thriller. Great action, strong premise, and spot-on performances make this a stand-out.
May 28, 2017
?'THE BOURNE IDENTITY' was directed by Doug Liman, stars Matt Damon, Franka Potente and Chris Cooper and is the story of a man(Matt Damon) who is found stranded in the ocean with no knowledge of who he is. The only things he can remember are his enhanced ability to kill. As events unfold, he discovers who he is and why he why he didn't know who he was.

I went into this movie with skyrocketed expectations. That may have tainted my viewing but I just don't understand the sheer praise sent this movie's way. Sure Damon was pretty good and the action was pretty entertaining but aside from that, there is little more enjoyment to be found here. The Bourne Disappointment contains enough to be watchable but not enough to the point I can recommend it. Damon is, to be fair, pretty good as the star character but I don't think its the role he SHOULD be remembered for. The action is also decent but it doesn't hold to the standard that I've heard so many people praise it for. If you enjoy this movie, fine. But don't come to me and praise it as a gritty, realistic spy thriller that changed action movies because it just isn't. It's fine.

Right, the story for this movie has a genuine level of intrigue and I can understand it is more grounded in reality than say Bond, or Mission Impossible. That said, I don't think that it is interesting enough to make it better than what it is. While the story is fine it's not great and could have been done much better, especially considering the concept. Pretty disappointing to be honest.

Again, Matt Damon is the only genuinely great thing in this movie for me. I don't think it should be the role people recognise him for but I do genuinely buy both the confused side of his character and the badass side of his character. Franke Potente was, on the other hand, awful as Marie Krutz. She was more wooden than a tree and possessed no likable or redeeming qualities that made me care in any way. One thing this movie was praised for is the 'chemistry' between Bourne and Krutz. How? Where is their chemistry? An ant and the heel of my sneaker have more chemistry. Jesus and Judas have better chemistry than these two. Hitler and a homosexual Jewish man have better chemistry. They have no chemistry and I challenge you to prove me otherwise. Chris Cooper existed and was there. The villain was very weak.

Technically speaking, this movie was fine. The use of shaky cam and Liman's breaking of things such as the 180 rule definitely benefited this movie and sold the idea of realism and grittiness. The effects were also fine but thankfully they weren't used consistently.

I do like how neither us(the audience) or Bourne actually understand the character of Bourne. I think the dynamic of that is clever and works well in the context of the movie.

In conclusion, this movie is honestly just average. Some action is good and Damon was good as Bourne but I just can't see enough substance to keep this movie better than what it is. I don't think it deserves the immense praise it gets and I think it's fine. I don't recommend it but if you like it, than I guess I do envy you for seeing something I just cannot.

4/10
½ May 13, 2017
I work alone, like you. We always work alone.
April 26, 2017
The beginning of Bourne and it's an adrenaline rush.