The Bourne Identity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Identity Reviews

½ August 19, 2017
Like the first Mission: Impossible movie, The Bourne Identity introduces the world to a new badass spy, this time one with amnesia. Doug Liman's direction is superb, and Matt Damon makes audience everywhere think "Damn, that kid from Good Will Hunting can kick a lot of ass!" The acting is great, the script is expertly written, and the action is amazing, especially the fight in Bourne's house, where he uses a PEN as a weapon.
June 30, 2017
Bourne Identity does a great job of being a sleek action thriller with an attention-gripping plot that follows through on gasp-worthy moments of intensity and characters that are performed rather well.
June 26, 2017
Very different take on a spy movie and it's great. Matt Damon is excellent as Jason Bourne. Jason Bourne is probably one of the most interesting character I have seen in a movie.

8.3/10
June 20, 2017
This great action movie is Directed by Doug Liman who was not an action director and Matt Damon was perfectly cast as Jason Bourne. This movie also has a great story. The only real flaws this movie has is some of the line delivery is off and the action isn't as smooth as it becomes in the later films, but it is still a really good movie!
½ June 16, 2017
Though it occasionally meanders into familiar territory, thrilling action sequences (for me, the car chase served as the highlight of the movie) and a good mix of suspense and drama are what make The Bourne Identity a film which stands out from the crowd of spy movies. Matt Damon pulls off such a great performance that you could say that he was BOURNE to play the role. Get it? *crickets chirp* I'll let myself out :(. There's still no denying that he's excellent in the role and shows that he could be one of this century's most amazing action stars alongside Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and Vin Diesel. Bravo, Doug Liman. Bravo.
June 11, 2017
Start of a great action-suspense series!
June 10, 2017
This is the best action espionage film since the original 007. Where modern James Bond movies leaned too heavily on cars and technology, this film brought back the creativity and ingenuity of a spy. It is thrilling to watch how Bourne finds his way out of precarious situations.
June 5, 2017
I quite enjoyed that! Took me a while to see it, though! Likable characters, fun action scenes, good times!
June 1, 2017
The Bourne Identity is a thriller. Great action, strong premise, and spot-on performances make this a stand-out.
May 28, 2017
?'THE BOURNE IDENTITY' was directed by Doug Liman, stars Matt Damon, Franka Potente and Chris Cooper and is the story of a man(Matt Damon) who is found stranded in the ocean with no knowledge of who he is. The only things he can remember are his enhanced ability to kill. As events unfold, he discovers who he is and why he why he didn't know who he was.

I went into this movie with skyrocketed expectations. That may have tainted my viewing but I just don't understand the sheer praise sent this movie's way. Sure Damon was pretty good and the action was pretty entertaining but aside from that, there is little more enjoyment to be found here. The Bourne Disappointment contains enough to be watchable but not enough to the point I can recommend it. Damon is, to be fair, pretty good as the star character but I don't think its the role he SHOULD be remembered for. The action is also decent but it doesn't hold to the standard that I've heard so many people praise it for. If you enjoy this movie, fine. But don't come to me and praise it as a gritty, realistic spy thriller that changed action movies because it just isn't. It's fine.

Right, the story for this movie has a genuine level of intrigue and I can understand it is more grounded in reality than say Bond, or Mission Impossible. That said, I don't think that it is interesting enough to make it better than what it is. While the story is fine it's not great and could have been done much better, especially considering the concept. Pretty disappointing to be honest.

Again, Matt Damon is the only genuinely great thing in this movie for me. I don't think it should be the role people recognise him for but I do genuinely buy both the confused side of his character and the badass side of his character. Franke Potente was, on the other hand, awful as Marie Krutz. She was more wooden than a tree and possessed no likable or redeeming qualities that made me care in any way. One thing this movie was praised for is the 'chemistry' between Bourne and Krutz. How? Where is their chemistry? An ant and the heel of my sneaker have more chemistry. Jesus and Judas have better chemistry than these two. Hitler and a homosexual Jewish man have better chemistry. They have no chemistry and I challenge you to prove me otherwise. Chris Cooper existed and was there. The villain was very weak.

Technically speaking, this movie was fine. The use of shaky cam and Liman's breaking of things such as the 180 rule definitely benefited this movie and sold the idea of realism and grittiness. The effects were also fine but thankfully they weren't used consistently.

I do like how neither us(the audience) or Bourne actually understand the character of Bourne. I think the dynamic of that is clever and works well in the context of the movie.

In conclusion, this movie is honestly just average. Some action is good and Damon was good as Bourne but I just can't see enough substance to keep this movie better than what it is. I don't think it deserves the immense praise it gets and I think it's fine. I don't recommend it but if you like it, than I guess I do envy you for seeing something I just cannot.

4/10
½ May 13, 2017
I work alone, like you. We always work alone.
April 26, 2017
The beginning of Bourne and it's an adrenaline rush.
April 6, 2017
Incredible action film with Matt Damon!
March 20, 2017
This one blew my mind, it was and still is amazing.
March 20, 2017
One of the best conspiracy/espionage films. It's gritty style places it leaps & bounds ahead of it's competitors such as the Bond films
March 11, 2017
I remember really enjoying the Bourne Movies. Aside from the underlying themes (government is watching you and its all bad) these were well down action thrillers which brings me to the star, Matt Damon. When Matt Damon shuts up, he sounds more intelligent. I enjoy him more as an action star than a social Jiminy Cricket. The pacing of the first film was quite brisk and had me going with it the whole time.
February 20, 2017
All I remember is that I liked this movie.
½ February 18, 2017
A great action trilogy....
February 10, 2017
The Bourne Utimatum is considered to be the best of the Bounre Trilogy and while i do think that it's an awesome movie, The Bourne Identity is my personal favorite. The acting is amazing, the use of little to no stunt doubles gives the movie a sense of realism and the editing perfectly matches the main characters confusion. It's one of the smartest action movies of all time and one of the best.
½ February 8, 2017
"The Bourne Identity" proves to be an exhilarating start to The Bourne Collection, and effectively sets the stage for a thrilling series. There are many elements that fit together to form the goodness that is "The Bourne Identity", especially the fact that it isn't just a standard start to finish, bland plot. The plot of this movie is excellent, you start the movie knowing absolutely nothing, and as it unfolds, and as we gain more information the unpredictability of it doesn't get too complicated to ruin the movie, but it makes you think, and perfectly executes the psychological impact it intended to have. I believe this was Matt Damon's second or third big hit movie, coming right after "Good Will Hunting", and he absolutely knocked it out of the park, so much so that in 2002 people started to recognize him as Jason Bourne rather than Will Hunting. Although some of the action sequences are a little cheesy (I'm trying to do my best to keep in mind that this is the early 2000's), there were some action sequences, one in particular, that I thought was ingeniously executed, and set the stage for thrilling scene. I thoroughly enjoyed what "The Bourne Identity" had to offer, and this probably deserves 4 stars, but I had to give it 3 1/2, only because that was my first instinct (but it was extremely close). In the end, though, "The Bourne Identity" is definitely worth watching.