CBGB - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

CBGB Reviews

March 14, 2016
Very interesting, funny, full of great music and performances!
February 11, 2016
I really liked this movie, and how much I'm going to miss Alan Rickman. Only heard about this place and it was interesting to see the story about it. That was a different time and so much new create came out of that little place. Raw and a real feel, loved the ending that shows the owner of the club. Didn't think it was the best movie but was so entertained and just really going to miss Alan Rickman.
February 8, 2016
Really disappointing considering what the film is about.
½ January 3, 2016
I loved this, particularly the type-casting for The Talking Heads and The Ramones! It was so inspiring to see how a man who had a vision (and wasn't even sure where to start), was guided and supported, despite his own obvious faults and mistakes, and became an icon for the musical community! I knew that CBGB (originally intended to be Country, Bluegrass & Blues) gave birth to many great groups, but I did not realize how many!
½ December 28, 2015
not entirely accurate...still sort of fun...... could have been much better
½ December 18, 2015
The movie wasn't great, but the soundtrack was excellent.
December 17, 2015
Dumbed down history of Punk Rock. Nothing really works here but you can see a cavalcade of young punk band lookalikes. Good background movie; no attention to this film is necessary and you have emails to catch up on.
½ December 13, 2015
Inspiring story. Hilly had vision, hustle and created something meaningful for himself and many others.
½ December 13, 2015
The slowest movie I've seen in a while. It has a bunch of B-list known actors, but that's about all it has going for it. I couldn't make it through the thing.
½ December 10, 2015
Mind numbingly ignorant, bland, and historically null. Not even a solid performance by Alan Rickman can save this film. Avoid.
December 10, 2015
Ok, why am I pretty much the only one giving this movie 4 stars? Well because it deserves it. I had never heard of this movie and simply found it on Netflix. I watched the first 3 or 4 minutes and decided right then and there to be open. It was not a big budget Hollywood picture nor a highly touted independent film it simply was what it was. I don't think that it tried to be anything else. It was honestly much like the Punk music scene itself and that may have been lost on many of the viewers. The bottom line for me is that I had zero expectations and therefore was not let down and was able to enjoy it for what it was. "If Burt likes it than anyone will eat it"
December 9, 2015
Alan Rickman saves the movie.
December 7, 2015
F the critics. I like this movie. It's funny that people who have not a creative bone in their bodies get paid to judge art. They say it took such electrifying material and did nothing with it. I suggest to do these subject(s) full justice would require the impossible: a 33-year long movie or about 300 movies about each character in CBGB and each band that played there. How does one movie delve deeply into so many fascinating, legendary subjects that is CBGB's, I ask?
December 2, 2015
I don't understand the negative critical response to this. From my perspective this seemed really genuine and interesting. I have been involved in the punk scene for most of my life. I've played in bands, booked shows, traveled the country and met a lot of the people who were featured in this film. It really felt like hanging out with these kinds of personalities and maybe that's what turned some people off. It's not your average Hollywood movie that amps everything up and creates larger than life characters and scenarios. They just seemed to take it as it was and put it on the screen. I loved it!!
October 5, 2015
If you love and respect music this is a 5 star movie
October 5, 2015
Don't listen to the naysayers. This movie is great! I think the people who don't like it have an over estimation and misguided idea of both Punk and CBGB's in general. If you're looking for a movie that will sell you you're idea of both these, keep looking. This is more of a reality movie than the fantasy that to many people have created around CBGB's. Sit back and enjoy.
September 4, 2015
It's not so bad as critics are saying, but as a Punk Rock lover I may be biased. I think it's safe to say that "CBGB" had the potential to be much more than what actually is. Still, those who love (punk) rock and its history will enjoy seeing actors playing Iggy, the Dead boys, Blondie and Patti Smith.
½ April 4, 2015
I had no idea what to expect from this story, much less from the movie. But it was fun and enjoyable. It was interesting to get a grasp of how the punk rock movement emerged in NY City.
March 26, 2015
Was interested in it obviously because of the Snape and Ron mini reunion. But it was actually pretty good. It gives you a glimpse of what it was probably like when this place had acts like Blondie, The Ramones, Iggy Pop, and The Police play there.