City Slickers Reviews

• 4d ago

It’s kind of weird returning to City Slickers now that I’m actually older than the characters in the film. I can appreciate some of the stress that comes with getting older, and I guess I understand the desire to seek out adventure before it’s too late in life. It does seem like the message of this movie is fairly vague, bordering on being a complete cop-out that dodges any true moral, and therefore it lacks some of the emotional punch I was expecting. I enjoy all the camaraderie between the main characters, and seeing how they grow closer through this adventure. I’m not sure I fully believe that they could become as good at herding cattle as they seem to get in a matter of days in this film, but it certainly gives a triumphant tone to the end of the story. Unfortunately, that tone lasts less time than I expected, and never feels fully satisfying. There’s no doubt that City Slickers is an entertaining movie, and it works because the 3 best friends all have charm and good chemistry with one another. I like the diverse characters we see from Billy Crystal, Daniel Stern, and Bruno Kirby. I’m not sure all the humor in the film works, though. There are several moments where I chuckled, but it fell short of laugh-out-loud funny. Of course, I have seen the film before and knew most of the jokes were coming, so perhaps the humor just lacks the kind of punch needed for repeated laughs. The strangest attempt at humor is just Billy Crystal’s repeated nasal “Hello.” I’m not even sure why that’s supposed to be funny, but he goes there again and again. On the whole, City Slickers is still a decent comedy-adventure film that explores the causes and effects of a man’s mid-life crisis. It’s not an all-time classic, but certainly worth watching.

• Nov 22, 2020

Guys, the movie "TheMatrix4" is out !!! bit.do/TheMatrix4

Guys, the movie "TheMatrix4" is out !!! bit.do/TheMatrix4

• Jul 27, 2020

Its grounded parts don't completely overcome its silliness, though they do make it more respectable. It is entertaining with a redeeming message.

• Jul 21, 2020

A mid-life crisis/fish out of water story about a man facing 40 who decides to escape the city with some friends and go on a cattle drive. Billy Crystal is in fine form, while Jack Palance steals the show with an Oscar-winning turn as an authentic cowboy leading the 'slickers'. Comedy with a real heart.

• Jul 10, 2020

Silly but not at all funny or entertaining.

Silly but not at all funny or entertaining.

• Jun 27, 2020

This movie is a mixture of comedy drama and wild adventure. Great story line acted out by an awesome cast. I loved it.

• Apr 25, 2020

Under the initial premise of a mid-life crisis leading to a fish out of water vacation in the sun is a outstandingly witty and fun look at life at large. fabulous performances and extremely relatable dialogue makes this one of the more poignant comedy adventures without a dab of pretention. Sadly the antagonist cowboys are never established outside of a negative context, making them feel one dimensional as characters. Continuously rewatchable and Billy Crystal's best.

• Apr 11, 2020

City Slickers is a movie I've heard people bring up, but I'd never seen even parts of it. It was never a movie I felt I needed to watch, but I wanted to put something on that I wouldn't get too into. The first half of the movie is very slow. It's filled with jokes that make you groan. There were a few times I almost gave up and shit the movie off. The back half of the movie picks up a bit and the triumph of characters not giving up and finding themselves salvaged this movie some for me. I still wouldn't tell anyone to go out of there way to watch it, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from watching it either. It's right in the middle

• Mar 09, 2020

I used to love this movie as a kid. More than 20 years later, it's still good. 'City Slickers' has its heart in the right place.

• Feb 04, 2020

A hilarious 'fish out of water' film.

A hilarious 'fish out of water' film.