Cold Souls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cold Souls Reviews

January 26, 2017
This is one of my all time favs.
January 17, 2017
Natalia Zvereva does a wonderful job conveying all of the various emotions her character is 'put through'. It is almost as though you can here the 'words between the lines'. Although billed as a comedy drama it has elements of a poignant love story. The final scene speaks a thousand words. Paul and David's performance were okay, too. :)
November 6, 2016
This used to be one of my favourite films but I re-watched it and immediately forgot about it. Maybe you have to watch it in a time and place when Paul Giammati looking into his own soul and crying is important to you. I still love to watch him on screen but I guess I'm not in that place anymore.
August 20, 2016
OK, I love Paul Giamatti, so of course I had to watch it, and as per usual, his performance is top notch. The story is interesting, yet flawed, but I rarely laugh as much during a film as I did during Cold Souls. Because of this I can forgive the premise of souls being taken from the body as the extracted goes about relatively normal, albeit a bit "lighter," as Giamatti states. The soul, in most definitions, is the person himself / herself. It is one's personality, character, emotions, talents, gifts, etc. So if that is removed, well, according to most definitions, you end up with a sack of flesh.

Overall I enjoyed the film considerably, even though the ending was somewhat wanting. Regardless, certainly worth the watch.
½ September 27, 2015
The DVD cover used the word "hilariously twisted" by the NY Times. It's really a dark aimless story, not worth watching. Nothing in the movie to even smile about.
September 26, 2015
A good movie
The audience needs brains to appreciate such a good movie
May 8, 2015
One might be inclined to think that Ms. Barthes' film is an imitation of Being John Malkovich, but this is mistaken comparison. COLD SOULS is a sleekly original study of identity, isolation, loneliness and value of the individual. A cynical and humorous cultural and societal commentary that uses the identity of an actor to siphon a number of ideas. While it is at times quite comical, this film is actually a quietly powerful work of cinematic art. As always, Paul Giamatti is exceptional.
December 23, 2014
Highly enjoyable. It's funny in that they keep it very light on deep matters of emotional gravity. Giamatti's range as himself in various states of being under the influence, or absence of soul (his own and others), is interesting and believable. Granted, this wasn't a Charlie Kaufman film and it surely would have been majestic, but you have to experience lesser genius to appreciate the other greats, no?
½ November 6, 2014
An interesting premise that doesn't quite deliver as a comedy or drama. Giamatti is his dependable, downcast self and delivers through his performance some of the films best moments. However, they are fleeting.

Slow, sometimes downright boring, Cold Souls has enough intrigue to keep to going initially but by the hour mark you've already lost interest.
½ September 9, 2014
Has an interesting idea and then does absolutely nothing with it.
½ July 11, 2014
Giamatti is spot-on as a conflicted soul - no pun intended but the film suffers from lack of pace and any real dramatic tension. There's too much telling and not enough showing.
April 1, 2014
Muy interesante la trama de Sophie Barthes, y magistral la interpretación de si mismo de Paul Giamatti, pero a Cold Souls le falta ese no sé qué para lograr atraparte. Por momentos se vuelve un poco lenta, en especial todas las escenas en Rusia. De todas formas es recomendable.
March 25, 2014
A witty and dark look at life and its bigger problem of having a misfit soul. If your soul gives your nightmarish dark thoughts, should you just trade for a lighter one?
½ July 3, 2013
2.5/5 It was pretty weird and interesting, but I hated the ending.
April 27, 2013
somehow confusing movie. if soul leaves human body when he dies, then how come person dont die when the soul leaves his body?! soul rent? soul exchange? pieces of souls collage and mix up in one??
March 5, 2013
Paul Giamatti really became a special actor to me after seeing this film. For me, Paul's performance (post soul-loss) is astonishing in that: how do you act like a human being who doesn't know how they feel? How do you act as someone who's not emotionless but not emotional, not rational but not irrational, not kind but not mean, without making a blank face and never speaking? Paul's performance deserved a lot more recognition in this role for how much life he gave to such a lifeless character.
½ February 26, 2013
Fine film of a very unusual nature with superb acting by Giamatti. Makes one think. Reminiscent of "Being John Malkovich" in many ways.
½ February 7, 2013
A fantastic lead performance from Giamatti can't quite save what is Kaufman-esque take on an Outer Limits episode. An average OL episode.
½ January 20, 2013
I honestly can't say I liked this movie. Really, I thought it shood be very good, but no. The story is very clever, but the movie used it in a terrible way, this movie has probably just two good actors, Gimatti and Watson and at least for me, only of them is really good, wich is Paul Giamatti. This movie shood also not be considered as a comedy, because I don't think I laughed during this movie. This movie is about Paul Gimatti (that's righ, he plays himself), who just hates his life and he is tottally miserable, reeds an articule about Soul Extraction. He goes to the place and sees that lots of people have done that and Dr. Flinstein says that it will make him feel better. Paul let them removing his soul. Paul, after a while, actually feels a bit better, but then, he finds out that having a soul was actually better, he comes back to that place and wanted his soul back, but... he soul was stollen. Sow, Paul Giamatti had a pretty good act and, as I like to say, was the "thing" that made this movie disirve a three star rate. Really don't know if I recommend this movie or not.