Defiance Reviews

• Jun 30, 2020

Ok but bland war film that's characters are undeveloped.

Ok but bland war film that's characters are undeveloped.

• Jun 27, 2020

Great historical story. I didn't feel that the movie got me totally focused.

Great historical story. I didn't feel that the movie got me totally focused.

• Apr 16, 2020

Great movie, such an amazing story and great plot. Recommend this movie. Dont listen to the critics

• Apr 11, 2020

Defiance has all the parts to be a truly epic film, and yet it's not. I think this is because even though the Bielski Otriad did a truly heroic thing they saw it as merely surviving every day. Every day not giving into fear and protecting their humanity. This is how they beat the Nazis. Maybe this type of heroism doesn't play well on the screeen, even though compared to the book the movie does play up the violence and love angles. The acting is all really solid, especially Daniel Craig.

• Feb 04, 2020

I felt very emotional, it was heartbreaking to see how bad it was for the people to live, to find food and even have shelter. And when things seemed to be okay and they established a camp, the Germans would show up and they'd have to fight and leave

• Jan 05, 2020

Honestly I loved it. A little cliche at points but, it's definitely an action movie. Truthfully the comedy relief was out of place at times too. But the story was one worth sharing . I'd watch it again even. 8/10 good enough to be interesting while telling a historic story .

• Jan 04, 2020

Thought it very moving much along the lines of Schindler's list. Rated atg 57% by Rotten Tomatoes is a very sad example of heart of stone mediocrities that make up professional movie critics.

• Nov 04, 2019

Defiance tells an tale of extraordinary courage in the face of danger. Though the stories are admirable, they are not done the justice they deserve in this film. Defiance brings nothing new to the table that other war films have done and perfected. The movie does not stand out among its peers and is forgettable if anything. Characters feel two dimensional and certain scenes feel forced. Though the cast is compelling, dialogue and conflict don't feel "real." Zwick heads in the right direction but seems to miss his mark where things matter the most. 2.5/5. Average, if anything. Shame, I wanted to enjoy this more.

• Oct 05, 2019

I disagree with the; "lacks emotional punch" tagline. This flick hit me square in the feels multiple times from beginning to end. Daniel Craig's performance is masterful. Being a Jew, it probably pumped me up more than the average person, watching the Beilskis defy the Nazis as well as put several six feet under. I don't obsess over small nuances and nitpick when reviewing a film unlike "professional reviewers" but in this case the subplot around Tuvi and his joining up with a group of Soviet partisans, subsequently exposing them as the antisemitic pieces of chit they were like most goyim of the time really enhanced the flick. It's entertaining from start to finish and that's what enjoying a film is all about.

• Sep 27, 2019

A brilliant and horrifying film. Inspirational reminder of the complexity of keeping hope alive when there really is no hope. The inexplicable triumph of the human spirit in desperation. This microcosm of Jewish history acts as a stunning preface to the same phenomenon, on a vastly larger scale, the led to the creation and survival of the State of Israel. During 7 decades since 1948, the Jewish people have continued to face the same vicious and violent antisemitism and have confused to miraculously triumph. This film should be used to teach the public history.