Detention - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detention Reviews

May 23, 2016
Although it can be a little too cruel and cynical, "Detention" is the zaniest, craziest, off-the-wall cinematic experiment I've ever seen, like "Southland Tales" on crack. Not for the squeamish, this completely hilarious array of unique ideas is a mishmash of genius and stupidity with a game cast. Worth at least one viewing. You'll love it or hate it.
December 20, 2015
A movie like this needs to be clever. This is not even fucking close to clever.
October 12, 2015
I love absolutely everything about this film. Pure camp perfection!!!!
August 27, 2015
If you want to be scared don't watch this movie. But it's totally a teenage comedy, I can see a lot of kids liking. I personally liked it a lot, it has more edge to it than most teen comedies.
August 6, 2015
Amazing. Hit all the cliches. Perfect slasher comedy. I can't believe this movie was overlooked.
August 2, 2015
For those of you savvy enough to get it, will love it.
July 3, 2015
Absolutely genius. An explosion of energy, ideas and pop culture madness. The best of Heather and Scott Pilgrim combined into one vision.
½ June 15, 2015
Detention (2011) - A fantasy horror comedy that tries too hard. A convoluted set of ideas with no direction. Neither funny nor scary 1.5/10
½ May 27, 2015
I really shouldn't have liked this on paper - it doesn't really know what it is but it's outrageous story, some satisfying punch lines and overall unashamedly silly approach actually kind of led me to really enjoy this one. No synopsis can every do the insanity justice, so it's better just to watch first hand.
March 14, 2015
perfect example of a director trying to be original and it backfiring really poor attempt and not worth the time it takes to watch so many more worth while films
½ March 8, 2015
A bizarre mashup of every possible genre. It's like Scream but with ADD. Despite a few cool moments, the majority of the movie is a mess.
February 28, 2015
Take me, Beauty Beast. Your teeth are so hard.

A group of teenagers on detention discover there are some strange things going on in their school. There is a serial killer murdering students, and a strange bear in the auditorium that may be a time machine. Is it possible the students in detention can piece together the clues and uncover the killer or will they just become the next victims?

"Pregnant teenagers are never funny. Ever."

Joseph Kahn, director of Torque and numerous music videos (for artists like Britney Spears, U2, 50 Cent, and Eminem), delivers Detention. The storyline for this picture is terrible and was essentially Hot Tub Time Machine for the teen slasher/horror genre. The acting was disappointing and the cast includes Josh Hutcherson, Shanley Caswell, Spencer Locker, and Julie Dolan.

"How hard is it to be cool in 1992?"

Detention is a movie that I came across and thought my girlfriend would enjoy the high school setting (she's a fan of these types of movies). Unfortunately, neither of us found this overly interesting. The kill scenes were purposely clumsy, which made them flimsy and frustrating. Overall, I recommend skipping this picture.

"This movie is so stupid. Let' go back to the classroom and fall asleep."

Grade: F
½ January 18, 2015
Funny, goofy, hyperactive, surprisingly smart horror/comedy/parody/scifi/whatever flick. Not for everyone, but I got a huge kick out of it and laughed my butt off.
½ January 11, 2015
In 1996, Wes Craven came up with an new and innovative concept in horror. He combined a great slasher film, within a murder mystery, while having teenagers mock horror films at the same time. That film was called Scream and it was way ahead of it's time. In 2011, Detention tried to modernize this type of film and fails miserably. Detention is set at Grizzly Lake High School, a school which encompasses everything that is wrong with teenage life today. With a new hit horror film at the top of the box office, one person, who has had enough of the hip/trendy high school life, decides to make the film come to life at Grizzly Lake. This film mocks every modern teenage trend to the point of being offense. The film mocks everything from teens use of social media and cell phones to goths, cutters, emos, bullying, and even teen suicide. The killer on the loose is almost an afterthought in a film that is just in really bad taste. Josh Hutcherson stars as the most popular kid in school, and it is completely unbelievable that the most wanted boy at school is played by a short, hairy kid, with a bad attitude, who happens to be in his twenties. I usually like the roles Hutch decides to play, as they usually suit him to a tee, but Clapton Davis was never meant to be played by someone like him and it's painfully obvious. Hutch is paired with newcomer, Shanley Caswell, an unlucky teenager who often tries and fails to kill herself. She's a super emo outcast, who no one believe would ever be the target of a killer. Overall, Detention is a very mediocre slasher film under the veil of an even lazier comedy. Much like one of it's stars, Dane Cook, Detention tries much too hard to be funny. Comedy should be a natural thing, resulting from unusual events. The writers of this film put so many different types of people into such ridiculous circumstances, that what's supposed to be funny, comes across as stupid, impossible, and downright offensive. Despite the way it looks, Detention isn't even close to being as good as Scream and is most definitely a film you should avoid.
December 29, 2014
One of the most original, entertaining, and creative movies of the last 20 years. This movie transcends genres and gives viewers an experience that warrants multiple viewings to fully absorb all the nuances and details. If you enjoy film, and appreciate thoughtful and creative stories, do yourself a favor, and watch this immediately!
½ December 6, 2014
a stupid but very well-executed clusterfuck of pop culture with untreated ADHD.
December 5, 2014
LOVE IS MOVIE SO MUCH !!!
½ November 23, 2014
This is a movie that exists I think,
November 9, 2014
this has a lot of stuff all thrown in and is a bit imbalanced..BUT a lot of fun. It's like a John Hughes scripted, re-written by John Waters and John Carpenter. Sort of like a long episode of Community where they do all kinds of crazy shit. Lots of 90s references and sci-fi references.
October 31, 2014
In the realm of Scream and Zombieland comes this delightful horror-com that involves the typical killing, time travel, and of course detention. The cast is good, the pace of the film keeps you watching and the story ain't half bad! Makes for a decent Halloween night movie!

3/5